6.5 PRC Lightweight Backcountry Rifle

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Just bought a franchi 6.5prc. Recoil is like a .243. Lose some belly weight and don't worry about a lb.

Attachments

• 20230630_140330.jpg
    20230630_140330.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 114

Gone4Days

WKR
I have the 20” CA Mesa FFT and I am very happy with it. With a can on it, the 20” barrel is very nice

Jimss

WKR
A 22 will kill an elk but why mess around with a pee-shooter that could possibly wound a buck, bull, bear, etc of a lifetime? Hate to say “I told you so!”

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want a 20" barrel, you can easily have a new one cut and threaded, so Tikka, etc. are all on the table. Just factor that price into it. If you do that, you can then get a custom stock that is what you want. You just can't cut carbon fiber or fluted barrels of course.

The two Christensen I have personally shot were very good. But, I've heard of direct personal experiences with lemons, and of course the internet is full of even more stories. I would buy a Seekins if it is going to be a nicer "factory" rifle.

6.5 is plenty of bullet to kill. The threads are endless showing the utter destruction that has come from "match" bullets from .223 to 308 caliber bullets. You can't tell the difference between them. Put one of those bullets into the vitals and the critter is dead. Or, if your flavor is "mushroom" so you can shoot through shoulders at bad angles, go all copper.

I'd bet 95% off all the "you need a 300 to kill an elk" comes from a mix of crappy marksmanship, crappy rifles, and crappy bullet designs. The "good ol' days" were filled with lots of bad information, that just gets repeated.

700-223

FNG
I'm looking to go with a lightweight backcountry rifle in PRC. I would like to be about 6lbs max bare rifle, 20" barrel. I'd prefer a LOP of 13" or less but I can't find any. My question is what's everyone's overall experience with these two rifles and which one would you go with? The Bergara Premier Canyon and the Christensen Arms Mesa FFT (significantly lighter at a published 5.5lbs vs 6.2lbs). My impression is that the Bergara is a safer bet as far as quality goes but I really am motivated by weight. I also thought about the Howa Randy Newberg carbon rifle as it comes in at 6.2lbs but it's got a 24" barrel. I'm also not against buying a gun and putting a custom stock that fits my desired LOP of 12.5-13" but it'd have to come in at $2,000 total and around 6 lbs, maybe 6.2lbs. . . and of course shoot well. Thoughts? I'm open to all constructive feedback. . or alternate suggestions.

Side question: Do you think the 6.5 PRC is here to stay and what common calibers would you compare the recoil too? I was originally considering the 7mm-08 but I like that production rifles are chambered for longer bullets in the PRC's.
Yep, here to stay. Recoil little more than a 308.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Vote for tikka, or CA, I own both, was a tad worried about CA horror stories by mine has been rock solid shooter for me in 6.5CM. Got a fft ridgeline on sale. Stupid light!

What stocks are on those?
The two top rifles are Bell and Carlson stocks that I opened up the barrel channels on. The two bottom rifles are in Mesa altitude stocks. Think Mesa changed their name to Pure Precision. The altitude socks are pretty nice & came in at 26oz. The 338 win is in a manners EHT currently, but not sure if I'm going to keep the EHT.

Attachments

• 20230701_164942.jpg
    20230701_164942.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230701_165448.jpg
    20230701_165448.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 85
Tell me about the fixed sights you used.
You can find the sights at Midwest Gun Works. The Tikka boar hunter was a limited run Cabellas exclusive model that came with them. The boar hunter barrel contour is pretty similar to the heavier fluted sporter contour on the roughtech models. I believe these are the same express sights that sako uses on their rifles, like the sako black bear. They're identical to the ones in the picture below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807_063821_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230807_063821_Chrome.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
If I'm going with a 20 inch barrel should I just be going with a 6.5 creedmoor? Am I loosing that much velocity with the PRC at 20 inches that I might as well go with the creedmoor?

Felix40

WKR
I have a Mesa fft 6.5 prc. I really like it. I’ve had no issues. Recoil is similar to a lightweight 243 without a brake. I looked at tikka but none come in at that weight and I think the fft is a better value since it’s already configured how I want it.

You’re going to lose velocity with any caliber in a 20” barrel. Might as well go prc and you will have normal creedmoor or better performance.

If I'm going with a 20 inch barrel should I just be going with a 6.5 creedmoor? Am I loosing that much velocity with the PRC at 20 inches that I might as well go with the creedmoor?
I would go with the PRC.... Especially if you plan on using heavier weight grain 6.5 ammo, and a shorter barrel. A 20" PRC would still likely outrun an identical 26" creedmoor barrel pushing the same bullet. You'd probably make up velocity you'd loose cutting a long creedmoor barrel down, have a handier rifle, and get the weight savings you wanted. Just my opinion of course.... I went 22" on mine.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I would go with the PRC.... Especially if you plan on using heavier weight grain 6.5 ammo, and a shorter barrel. A 20" PRC would still likely outrun an identical 26" creedmoor barrel pushing the same bullet. You'd probably make up velocity you'd loose with a long creedmoor barrel, have a handier rifle, and get the weight savings you wanted. Just my opinion of course.... I went 22" mine.

Yeah, I'm really after something that is very shootable and packable. I'd also like something I can hand over to my son when he turns 9 and won't make him gun shy. What would you say is the difference between the creedmoor and the PRC in recoil? I'm starting to lean toward something 6lbs or lighter. I'd really like something with a shorter length of pull but I might just buy another stock for that. I'm willing to loose some "killing power". I've got a 300 WSM I can use if I need to step up.

SDHNTR

WKR
Save some extra and build it the way you want from the ground up. You have specific needs/wants and are not going to find them in a factory rifle. Plus, the two you mentioned are known gambles on quality. Do it right the first time. No one will put the same care and attention to detail into the job that you yourself will! Buy a good receiver, prefit barrel, trigger, stock and bottom metal. If you know what end of the screwdriver to hold you can DIY.

Yeah, I'm really after something that is very shootable and packable. I'd also like something I can hand over to my son when he turns 9 and won't make him gun shy. What would you say is the difference between the creedmoor and the PRC in recoil? I'm starting to lean toward something 6lbs or lighter. I'd really like something with a shorter length of pull but I might just buy another stock for that. I'm willing to loose some "killing power". I've got a 300 WSM I can use if I need to step up.
I'd say without a break, mine is about like a 270 Winchester. If you think about it, you're pushing about the same weight range bullets, at about the same velocity, and nearly identical case capacity..... I'd think he would be fine. Lighter weight bullets / muzzle brake, and recoil is about like a 308. The overall weight of the rifle, geometry of the stock, bullet weight, velocity, recoil pad material, are all factors adding up to that perceived recoil.

Here is a link to a recoil calculator, that takes a lot of those factors into consideration.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Save some extra and build it the way you want from the ground up. You have specific needs/wants and are not going to find them in a factory rifle. Plus, the two you mentioned are known gambles on quality. Do it right the first time. No one will put the same care and attention to detail into the job that you yourself will! Buy a good receiver, prefit barrel, trigger, stock and bottom metal. If you know what end of the screwdriver to hold you can DIY.
You think I'd really save some? I wouldn't really even know where to start. I have install a few triggers but not much past that.

One rifle that seems to be close to what I want was the X-bolt Micro Midas and it comes with butt pad spacers. Not exactly custom but allows me to adjust for my son as he grows. I'm only 5' 7" so I like a 13" lop myself. I think I'm still leaning toward a creedmoor for shootability.