6.5 PRC Dilemma

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I am sorry man - this is the dumbest thing I have read all day. You haven’t killed many elk I am guessing 🤣🤣. The elk took two steps and buckled. Sometimes that does’t happen with a 300 rum at 550 yards. You aren’t going to gain anything material at 550 yards with a PRC over a creedmoor.
I've shot a cow elk almost every year since 1991. All inside of 100 yards with a .270 until I got the Creedmore three years ago. The field I shot the cow is outside of my living-room window. and off my deck. I have a gong every hundred yards in that same field out to 1000 yards. I was shooting off my bench, on bags front and rear. Beyond perfect conditions. It was a shoot more than a hunt. I can see how hard my rounds hit the gong at 600 yards with a creed compared to the PRC. Big enough difference for me. I still have another creedmore but its my beater pickup rifle in the ranch truck. My friends all come over to sight in for season or just to test loads. I've shot lots of different gun. I was on the fence between the 7rem and 300prc but after shooting both I liked my sissy PRC the best. This was after getting to sit there and shoot lots of different guns at long range to decide what I liked best, all on the same day. -WW

Even using RL26 and pushing that ELDX at 2950 the hit looked soft. Too soft for my liking. The round blew up and the jacket went through the off shoulder, luckily the shank punched both lungs and the heart. For me using that creed I need to keep the shot inside of 400 yards.
Creedmoor at 2950 is factory PRC speeds, that would make my prc too soft.....I'm not worried.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Creedmoor at 2950 is factory PRC speeds, that would make my prc too soft.....I'm not worried.
Wouldn't that depend on the grain of projectile you are shooting? I get 3360 fps with 124 grain Hammer Hunters in my PRC with RL26? The I56 Bergers I'm getting 2907 with H1000? My LabRadar is tracking pretty good compared with my drops? Im not worried either.

All I'm saying is for longer ranges I'd use a PRC and I explained why. If it had been anything but heart and lung, I'd have had a mess on my hands with that cow. IF'in I could have afforded it at the time I would have had a fast twist .270 spun up. A fast twist .270 would be ideal with todays ammo issues.-WW

Last edited:
Wouldn't that depend on the grain of projectile you are shooting? I get 3360 fps with 124 grain Hammer Hunters in my PRC with RL26? The I56 Bergers I'm getting 2907 with H1000? My LabRadar is tracking pretty good compared with my drops? Im not worried either.-WW
Hornady website shows thier 6.5 PRC 143 eldx load as 2960 from a 24" barrel so a creedmoor at 2950 would basically be a PRC, sounds like your creedmoor was fine for the job and the eldx make a quick kill.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was in the same boat as you , have a .308win and looked @ the power / range issues and started the 6.5 search. Eliminated CM for obvious reasons , PRC no way with ammunition problems & prices , 6.5x55 or 6.5-284 looked promising, then I reevaluate the WTF I want to try to kill game @ 500+ meters , the ammunition for long range hunting is expensive and is only good @ 200+ yards ( the ELD-x is explosive and terrible penetration same with other long range design bullets)
Settled on .308 with 130-150 ttsx is deer and elk medicine from 10-400 yards and it’s already there in the safe . I stopped listening to the guys beating the 500-800 meters hunting drums, it’s redundant and ridiculous to setup for long range when 90% of my shots are 10-400 yards

amigo if you’re one of them dude’s wanting to shoot 1/2 mile , bueno !! but it’s expensive and obtuse IMO

ok last 2ct worth

I have been a guide since 1991 and in my experience the longer the shots the less the chance of a clean kill , guys that can ring the gong @ 500 off the bench usually miss in field conditions, it’s a different world
being out of breath, bad rest , spooky animal, +20mph cross wind , ect
I agree on lots of points but disagree on others.

Only good at 200+ yards? That’s simply not true. Only run at extreme muzzle velocity over 3200 fps can match bullets fail inside 100 yards. Most long range guys I know aren’t running velocity that high. I can’t think of one that does, as a matter of fact.

I don’t carry my long range gun when shots are gonna be 10 to 400.

I want to fill my tag, and I hunt in locations where if you are prepared you can hunt animals and locations other lesser prepared men cannot.

Anyone who takes a shot out of breath, bad winds, bad rest, and spooky animals is an idiot and does not represent any long range shooter I know. Both of us agree they are hacks who have no business making that shot.

Over generalized statements of opinion are acceptable, but must be taken with a grain of salt. I can easily flip the same thing around on you. And, you know I am right…

The older guys from the good old days I know brag about how they used to hunt and spread lead at anything moving like John Wayne in a shootout. Their redneck sons drink beer and drive around shooting out of their truck.

Only long range shooters respect the skill and ethical requirements of exercising our discipline. We spend more time on our bellies and in the field practicing realistic shots so we are prepared and have extremely high confidence in our shooting.

So, everyone who isn’t a long range shooter is a hack and they are just pretending they know how to shoot ethically.

You see, there is rhetorical bullshit meant to convince without regard to the truth. The truth is beyond question that match bullets will kill very efficiently and effectively when deployed correctly. Just like mono and bonded and partition bullets will. They are just two different styles.

It’s clear that a 308 is everything you need for your hunting. I agree 100%. And a magnum isn’t really necessary inside 400 yards. A 30-06 is plenty if you want a little more oomph for your .308 bullet.

Different strokes for different folks. I have no problem with your choice or opinions. No one should care, as long as we are ethical.

It’s why we ethical and skilled long range shooters really reject the idea that it can’t be done or is unnecessary or unsportsmanlike.

Every pure bow hunter could call us weak for using a rifle at all. That’s opinion.

We definitely agree that too many long range heroes are out there slinging lead they have no business even considering.

I couldn't find the factory ammo I wanted for my 7RM at Scheels but they did have ADG brass and the unloaded bullet I wanted. Bought 100 pieces of brass and 400 of bullets. Contacted Unknown Munitions and shipped them the brass and 1 box of bullets. They supplied the powder and primers and shipped me back premium hand loaded ammunition. It produces 3/4" 3 shot group at 200 yards.

If you can buy Lapua, ADG, or Peterson brass then @Unknown Munitions will load it for you. Lapua just had a shipment go out last week and it is hitting retailers this week.

jimh406

WKR
A 270 performance is very similar to the 6.5 PRC out to 400 yds except you can actually buy ammo.

If you want significantly more power, consider the 300 WSM.

WKR
I have some 6.5 prc ammo (the Hornady match, 147gn), and the optic (SWFA 3-15) but no gun. Just picked them up during pandemic shopping as I was wanting the 6.5 prc for my one "do it all" hunting rifle. With ammo so expensive and difficult to find, I'm second guessing that decision a bit. I already have a very accurate and capable m70 in 300 wsm. Might stick with what I have for a while until things stabilize. Something about the 6.5 prc seems like an excellent "sweet spot" for the ONE RIFLE type of person.

It sounds like OP has already made the decision. I say go for it. Life is short and having what you want is a good thing even though wanting what you have is an even better thing.

Good luck!

WRM

WKR
A 270 performance is very similar to the 6.5 PRC out to 400 yds
All apologies to Mr. O'Connor, but it just ain't cool to say you have a .270. There's nothing cool after it. Just .270 win.

Mr. O'Connor also thought pretty much no one had any business shooting at game beyond about 200 yards. Nobody listens to that either.

Good article though. The "old stuff" gets it done.
I do have a 280AI instead of a .270, but it's an "old" cartridge too.
Have a .45-70 and use it.
Have a .338 Win mag. (This if you want "significantly" more power).
What more do you really need in NA?

Precisely..watching the impact I could tell at that range I shouldn't have taken the shot. Even using RL26 and pushing that ELDX at 2950 the hit looked soft. Too soft for my liking. The round blew up and the jacket went through the off shoulder, luckily the shank punched both lungs and the heart. For me using that creed I need to keep the shot inside of 400 yards. I'd taken elk the prior two seasons with the gun but all inside of 200 yards and the hits looked like what I want. I shoot a lot, I reload, I'm no expert on anything but I think....for me....I'm way more confident with the PRC and sometimes it really comes down to confidence. The creed left me wanting.-WW
ps...I don't want to see just a twitch, I'm looking for their knees to buckle, or flop over. I couldn't even tell I hit that cow. I grew up shooting a .270 and 30-06, I prefer to see the hit, and the critter notices is all.
Shot this Midwest whitetail under 300 yards with a 300 WM with 190 gr Berger. Estimated impact velocity was about 2450 fps.

He did not flinch. He did not react. He just stood there for what felt like an eternity (long enough to ask how I missed and chamber another round) before he stumbled about 20 yards (wicked blood trail) and dropped.

So I guess this setup is inadequate for whitetail since there was no twitching, flopping, buckling, etc upon impact.

Attachments

• 47701D12-D528-4782-B0FD-18886899581B.jpeg
    47701D12-D528-4782-B0FD-18886899581B.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 30

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Bought ammo from my local fun store first before I had my rifle built. Paid $52 for Hornady 143 and 147 ( I'm friends with the owner though ). There's nothing I don't love about it. Get on every notifications list possibly and start reloading.

Rbros 6.5 prc 26"

Attachments

• Compress_20220426_193401_1500.jpg
    Compress_20220426_193401_1500.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 46
Hornady website shows thier 6.5 PRC 143 eldx load as 2960 from a 24" barrel so a creedmoor at 2950 would basically be a PRC, sounds like your creedmoor was fine for the job and the eldx make a quick kill.
Yep.

My 6.5 PRC shoots commercial 147 gr ELD-M at 2910 fps.

Same rifle shoots hand loads at 3050 fps for the same bullet.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Shot this Midwest whitetail under 300 yards with a 300 WM with 190 gr Berger. Estimated impact velocity was about 2450 fps.

He did not flinch. He did not react. He just stood there for what felt like an eternity (long enough to ask how I missed and chamber another round) before he stumbled about 20 yards (wicked blood trail) and dropped.

So I guess this setup is inadequate for whitetail since there was no twitching, flopping, buckling, etc upon impact.
Seemed to work just fine at such a close range, nice shot. Often those close shot's just explode stuff. I'm using Hammers and Barnes for closer range shots like that, and Bergers for long range.-WW

Seemed to work just fine at such a close range, nice shot. Often those close shot's just explode stuff. I'm using Hammers and Barnes for closer range shots like that, and Bergers for long range.-WW
It was a failed attempt at humor.

His 6.5 CM didn’t provide the type of kill he wanted despite the animal expiring within two steps. Few people will argue that a 300 WM is inadequate for a whitetail. But using the poster’s criteria it was inadequate as the buck didn’t drop dead instantly in an exhilarating way; had to wait a second or two before he was dead and pretty much blood free.

No issues on my side with my ammo choice in this rifle. It has hammered an assortment of game from up close to way the hell out there with that rifle.

I got a case of Norma ammo for less than $2 a round. People are charging that for just the brass plus shipping. I sold my cm and am happy with the PRC. Glad I did. I do plan to load for it in the future.

Also didn’t care I had to wait for fair priced ammo to come along for it. I’ve seen eldx come up for $40 a box. Sells out fast.

6.5 prc, 7mm, and 300 prc are my work horses for what I hunt

sneaky

"DADDY"
I want a 6.5 PRC. I hate the 6.5 CM (just because I'm on that team which is dumb - I know). However, I'm seriously struggling to rationalize selling your first born child to have access to PRC ammo, and then paying $4/shot. Ballistically I don't know that I'll see much difference, I don't see myself ever shooting an animal further than 500y. With the 130gr Terminal Ascent (what I'd prefer to shoot) I'm getting a 165fps difference at 500y, 199ft-lb of energy difference at 500y, and 8" less drop/2" less wind drift at 500y. I'm team PRC just because it doesn't say "creedmoor" and I can rationalize the hate with a couple hundred FPS.

What do you recommend?

Gun will be used primarily for deer within 500y.
I don't handload (yet).
What did a box of premium 6.5 PRC cost before the shortage? Saw a box of Hornady ELD-M for $90 yesterday - best price I've seen for that round.
If you love your PRC please chime in to tell me to just do it cause that's what I want, just struggling with the rationalization.
Just buy a 7mm08 and say to hell with both the Creed and PRC. Neither one will do anything that the 7-08 can't out to 500. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk