6.5 creedmoor vs 7mm-08

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to pick up another Kimber Montana that will be my main do it all antelope to mule deer with the occasional elk and maybe even sheep if I ever win the lottery. I want something to pick up where my 25-05 leaves off. My question is....will the 7mm-08 really do anything that the 6.5 creedmoor won't? I will have a dedicated rifle for elk and bears. I am leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor because recoil in the light Kimber Montana can be stout. Also I already have a Ruger precision in that caliber as well as all the reloading supplies.
So is there any reason to go with the 7mm-08 over the creedmoor?
Thanks

ST52v

WKR
Let's see, your going to shoot 140's in both guns why not the one with the highest bc? 6.5 all the way

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Only reason to consider the 7 over the 6.5 is if you want to load heavier than 140's to bridge the gap up to your dedicated elk/bear rifle. The 7 will allow you load 80gr or more over your .25, while the 6.5 will only give you 25gr or so.

Ballistically if you run 140's in both you'll have a bit more FPS out of the 7 and a better BC out of the 6.5. The 6.5 should have a very slight edge (couple inches drop and windage at 450 for example) at distance.

LightFoot

WKR
I went through the exact same struggle when I ordered my NULA. When I placed the order I had decided on a 7mm-08, but about a 2 months into the build, I called up Melvin Forbes to see if it was too late to change my mind. He was more than accommodating, and I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Glad I did.

It shoots Hornady 120 Amax and handloaded 129 SSTs & 140 Partitions to the same POI, sub-moa.

My Ruger 7mm-08 now sits idle.

Bottom line:
+1 6.5 Creedmoor

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Creedmoor as well. Did a lot of research about shooting and elk with one and the consensus seems to be 140 gr at 500 yards or so is just fine. Even came across quite a few people shooting them out to 750 with success, although I don't think that would be me. I think the two big things that help the creedmoor is the SD is up there and the ability for more people to make a really good shot on an animal with a rifle due to little/no recoil. Everyone talks about shot placement being the key. The Creedmoor seems to be gaining ground with shooters and almost every rifle company makes one now. With Ruger making the cartridge in their precision rifle platform I am hoping Lapua will start making brass as everyone else is now.

I went 7mm-08 in a 16 LWH. I plan to use the new ELD-X. Waiting to get it back from the stock maker now.

GLB

WKR
Both will serve you well. I chose the 708 for my build and my hunting load is the 140 Accubond with Varget and it absolutely hammers. My decision was based on more barrel life and the option to run the heavier bullets.

I'd go with 6.5 creedmoor. You already have the supplies and will save you money in the long run. I want a light weight 260 rem as my do all hunting rifle.

robie

WKR
What did you end up with?

I'm in the same boat but looking at buying Kimber Montana. I don't reload though so the fact I can get more 7mm-08 is having me lean that way. Seems like both are great choices.

Solohntr

FNG
+ 1 on the 6.5. Great BC low recoil. I do not have the creed moor but I do own the 260 and 26 Nosler. Wouldn't trade them for anything. The 6.5s just flat out shoot.

Stid2677

WKR
I have spent the last couple months loading and shooting my Kimber Adirondack 6.5mm Creedmore, tons of factory loads and many high BC bullet choices. They are close enough, that is really comes down to personal choice, not wrong choice as both will get it done.

6.5mm%20Creedmore%20Kimber_zps2bnngnio.jpg

robie

WKR
Stid just curious on where you have seen tons of factory loads? I've always shot Barnes out of my 30-06 with great results, so I'm not really sure what brand to start with if I go 6.5 since Barnes does sell 6.5 ammunition. Of course Hornady has a several options and I see one nosler. Who have you seen with the widest selection?

I would consider it if I could find a couple more factory load options.

Stid2677

WKR
Stid just curious on where you have seen tons of factory loads? I've always shot Barnes out of my 30-06 with great results, so I'm not really sure what brand to start with if I go 6.5 since Barnes does sell 6.5 ammunition. Of course Hornady has a several options and I see one nosler. Who have you seen with the widest selection?

I would consider it if I could find a couple more factory load options.

The ammo store here in Fairbanks has Hornaday GMXs 120s, AMAXs 120s, 129 SSTs, 140 and 143 ELDs Nosler Custom in a BTHP 140, and Winchester also has a 140 BTHP.

I worked up a good 120 grain TSX load for mine for meat hunting.

robie

WKR
Ok, that is what I'm seeing from midway. I've read so many things about a gun not liking X brand that it makes me nervous to only see a few brands but I guess I can always buy from the custom load guys on the net.

elkguide

WKR
Tough choice. Both are great calibers. I have the Kimber in 7mm08. Nice rifle. Extremely accurate and little recoil. Great carry rifle and will do anything within it's limits. Probably should just buy both!

What did you end up with?

I'm in the same boat but looking at buying Kimber Montana. I don't reload though so the fact I can get more 7mm-08 is having me lean that way. Seems like both are great choices.

If you have Field and Stream locally, they have last years model Kimber on clearance for $1000 with an extra 10% off right now. $900 for a Montana is tough to beat.

Brendan

WKR
I went back and forth between 6.5 CM, 7-08, .308 and ended up ordering a Mountain Ascent in 6.5 CM. Still waiting for it to come in now, but at the ranges I'll be shooting it came down to personal preference. I was surprised so find a decent selection of ammo locally, so picked up some Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-x that I'll try until I get around to experimenting with reloads.