6.5 creedmoor or 6.5prc

Buying a new deer hunting rifle and I’m debating between these two calibers. 500 yards is my max effective hunting range but also want to do some long range target shooting. I’ll be running a suppressor so barrel length is a small factor. Weighing the options between overall weight, barrel length. I only use factory ammo so that is another factor. Curious on the opinions. Cheers
I'm going to say be patient and get a prc over the creedmoor.
The reason I say this is because you plan on shooting suppressed, a 16" PRC will still outrun a 26" creedmoor.
For what you're doing I'd go with an 18 or 20" barrel, you'll love it

I just traded in my Creed for the PRC....I needed a skootch more thump. Creed will be just fine inside of 500. I shoot further than that.

Now I'm sitting here fondling a brand new rifle and can't shoot it, its the thing nighmares are made of. I tried to get brass or ammo before the gun got here but it didn't happen. So here I sit. No ammo, no brass, screwed until I can find some at a decent price.-WW

Exactly why I’ll probably not get a 6.5 PRC but get a chassis rifle Creedmoor. I reload and even the PRC components are hard to come by. PRC is a great caliber but hard to come by.

Sold my Creedmoor and upgraded to a PRC. I will be running an 18" PRC suppressed now and am excited to run it through the paces. To me, the PRC is near perfect for anything I want to hunt with from Elk on down. I'm a firm believer that if the PRC would have come out first, not many people would have bought the Creedmoor after. Just my .02

I’ve purchased PRC ammo off the shelf at normal prices, and have twice purchased brass online. My last brass purchase was less than month ago. Anyone who says you can’t find anything for the PRC isn’t trying.

Searching for factory ammo for both around me the last month, I haven’t seen any PRC at all or any Creed worth buying. Patience is king.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where the OP is located but I've been able to get 6.5 prc ammo locally in eastern Oregon and eastern Washington. Not in stock everyday but it shows up routinely, Price definitely varies from place to place anywhere from $45 per box to $60 per box for Hornady 147 grain ELDM. As far as performance I have only shot one mule deer with it, 388 yards broadside and hit him in the crease of the shoulder and exited the middle of the shoulder on the offside, didn't take one step and had a golf ball size exit.

OP
OG-danimal
Sold my Creedmoor and upgraded to a PRC. I will be running an 18" PRC suppressed now and am excited to run it through the paces. To me, the PRC is near perfect for anything I want to hunt with from Elk on down. I'm a firm believer that if the PRC would have come out first, not many people would have bought the Creedmoor after. Just my
Right on. I’m looking to do the same thing. What rifle and barrel are you running? Curious to hear how it groups and speeds you’re getting out of it. Keep us posted! Thanks for the info. Also are you hand loading or shooting factory?

Right on. I’m looking to do the same thing. What rifle and barrel are you running? Curious to hear how it groups and speeds you’re getting out of it. Keep us posted! Thanks for the info. Also are you hand loading or shooting factory?
I'm running a Gunwerks Clymr with an 18" barrel. I have the Gunwerks 6ix suppressor in jail (9 months and waiting). I have a mix of Gunwerks loads and factory to see what shoots the best etc.

I haven't shot it yet and it is killing me. I don't want to waste ammo just to shoot it when I know my suppressor is close...

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. PRC ammo is definitely harder to find but when you do just stock up and you’ll be fine. I like both but when its time to do the killing I always reach for the PRC.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I was in reference to the waiting period for suppressors.
But yea, PRC ammo is hard to find but the LGS got in some 147 about 3 months ago and I found some Nosler Brass.

ID_Matt

WKR
Within 500 yards both will be fine. Creed has more bullet options but plenty for the PRC as well. I like the PRC better and it has more knockdown power. I have one with a 20” barrel and a suppressor that shoots 143gr Eld-x factory loads under 1/2 MOA.
I think they both shoot the same bullet....

elkguide

WKR
6.5 PRC here.

Local Gun shop had 12 boxes of 147 PRC and 2 boxes of Creedmore yesterday.

I have to go with the PRC because I don't have the hair for the man bun required for a "Needmore!"

Sadler

WKR
I've actually seen more PRC ammo on the shelf in my area than Creedmoor BUT 6 Creedmoor is always in stock everywhere I go. And not just one or two boxes either. If you're not apposed to stepping down a caliber, it may be the better choice. But between the creed and PRC, Id go PRC. I have an 18" one suppressed shooting 156gr bergers at 2724FPS