6.5 Creedmoor barrel

Jgann19

FNG
I've recently purchased a cheaper long range build in a Bergera 6.5 CM HMR. Nice Trijicon glass, GG&G mount, and Talley mount. The barrel is 22" long and I'll run it suppressed. I'll deer hunt with it occasionally out of tower blinds on large fields but the barrel length is way long. I plan on slowly adding a new action and lighter carbon barrel to this rifle. I know the length of barrel will affect the performance but would I loose too much if I cut it down to 18"?

18” should be fine and I wouldn’t hesitate to chop it. It really depends on what your max effective range on game is.

I just ordered a 18” Carbon6 for my 6.5 CM to run suppressed. From what I understand, you can expect to lose about 25 fps per inch. I currently have a 24” barrel and am getting 2,663 fps. With the new setup I should expect around 2,513 fps, which is plenty of velocity for a 140 ELDM at my self-imposed max effective range of 500 yards.

OP
Jgann19

Jgann19

FNG
If it's cut down to 18" the max effective range would be around 500 yrds? I am not Tom Barringer but I am decent in the trigger.

woods89

WKR
I'd think about skipping carbon wrap and sticking with a steel barrel with a flared muzzle for your suppressor. It seems like the chances of getting a dud are higher with carbon wrap barrels than regular steel barrels. I've never had one but observing others it seems to be a thing.

As far as barrel makers go, I have a Hawk Hill that is just ridiculously easy to load for. I'd certainly buy from them again.

OP
Jgann19

Jgann19

FNG
Okay! Good...I'll run the steel and possibly get a better action with that extra money! Main deal was I didn't wanna ruin the range too much by cutting it down! Thanks for the insight.

If it's cut down to 18" the max effective range would be around 500 yrds? I am not Tom Barringer but I am decent in the trigger.
I’m at 1810 fps at 750 yards with a 140 ELDM. I’m just not comfortable shooting at game past 500 yards with my current ability.

Bullet selection is a factor in max effective range as well. There is a thread about the 6/6.5mm for long range hunting where they go into detail about all of this.
6mm/6.5mm Long Range Hunting

OP
Jgann19

Jgann19

FNG
Just chop it! Good stuff and thanks for the information! I think I just like it better at 18" suppressed. My 6.5 Grendal and 7.62x39 are both 18" suppressed and I love them! I think I will take it down to 18"! Thanks guys