6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Opinions

sturner88

FNG
any updates on people hunting with the 140gr AAC sabre black tips? Bought a case to plink with and break in a rifle but would be nice to be able to pull double duty for a hunting round.

jeffpg

WKR
I’ll be the odd guy out, and suggest you narrow in on what terminal performance you want from the bullet and based on that choose the TYPE of bullet you want, and only then start looking at options.
Outside of coues whitetail in az or some western areas (is that you?), odds are for whitetail you are shooting a max of 300 yards, and probably much closer than that. Do you want a bullet with maximum wounding potential, then go with the eldm or another softer fragmenting match-type bullet. Sst’s, ballistic tips probably the next step down, followed by the various standard “pointed soft points” like core lokt, hornady whitetail, etc. Accubond or another bonded lead bullet will have a slightly smaller wound than those, and a copper mono like a ttsx or lrx will create the smallest wound, but likely wont carry enough downrange velocity to use at very long ranges. Even though they arent popular on this site, I personally like copper monos because I dont need the longer range and I find the smaller wound channel allows me to eat significantly more of the deer if I hit a shoulder. If you are shooting at longer range or you shoot 16 deer every year, maybe you have different priorities and would be better off with a different type of bullet. Once you figure out what TYPE of bullet you want, then try a couple of those options and see which is most available and shoots best in your gun, and go with that.

This is exactly how I approach the subject.

Reactions: NSI
OP
M
Most of my shots would be 300yds or closer. Realistically, within 200yds in the big woods of northern MN. Do the copper bullets offer enough expansion out of a low velocity cartridge such as the 6.5 creedmoor to reliably expand and cause enough damage at these distances? Also, is the case better to have violent expansion and total energy dump into the target such as that from a eld-m and run the risk of a potential bloodless run off being there is most likely just 1 hole, or are you better off with less energy dump but the likelihood of a pass through with a monolithic that “should” allow for a good blood trail to follow of the target is not DRT?

Most of my shots would be 300yds or closer. Realistically, within 200yds in the big woods of northern MN. Do the copper bullets offer enough expansion out of a low velocity cartridge such as the 6.5 creedmoor to reliably expand and cause enough damage at these distances? Also, is the case better to have violent expansion and total energy dump into the target such as that from a eld-m and run the risk of a potential bloodless run off being there is most likely just 1 hole, or are you better off with less energy dump but the likelihood of a pass through with a monolithic that “should” allow for a good blood trail to follow of the target is not DRT?
Don't shoot the copper or bonded bullets. They will go through them like a pecil an they'll in a long way with minimal blood. I hunt deer in tell grass and once I switched to ELDMs the blood trails were a lot better and they didn't run far. They do a ton of damage internally unlike monos bmded

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought 2 rifles in 6.5CM. I bought a lot of factory ammo from Berger, Norma, Sig, Sierra and even a box of Remington Core lokts.

The Sierra 140gr SMK was the best shooter in both rifles. The heavy barreled R700 shot the Sierra to 0.58, followed closely with the Sig (also uses 140gr SMK) then Norma at 0.875. The Remington CL was also under an inch but barely. The Bergers in a VERY distant last place with over 2" and almost 4"! The sporter barreled R700 had similar results but were not as variable. The Sierra was still the best but was a bit larger group while the Bergers were still the worst but were 1.5 and 2" groups.

All that to say that you need to buy some various factory offerings. I shoot a combination of handloads and factory. In my experience, the Sig Marksman Elite is the most consistent accurate factory ammo. The Sierra Competition is always a great performer as well. It always is more accurate than any of Hornady's loadings.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
Don't shoot the copper or bonded bullets. They will go through them like a pecil an they'll in a long way with minimal blood. I hunt deer in tell grass and once I switched to ELDMs the blood trails were a lot better and they didn't run far. They do a ton of damage internally unlike monos bmded
Just not true. I have shot a lot of deer at close range and up to 250 yards with TSX, TTSX, and Hornady Interbonds. Calibers used were 6mmRem, 243Win, 7mm-08 and 338Fed. I never had one "pencil through." The Federal Fusion is a great bonded bullet that is designed to expand similar to cup/core bullets but prevents jacket separation. I shoot 10-12 deer per year so there has been a bit of "testing.".

Why is this so preferred over the 147?
Both are great. I prefer the 147s, they've done more damagein whative shot
Just not true. I have shot a lot of deer at close range and up to 250 yards with TSX, TTSX, and Hornady Interbonds. Calibers used were 6mmRem, 243Win, 7mm-08 and 338Fed. I never had one "pencil through." The Federal Fusion is a great bonded bullet that is designed to expand similar to cup/core bullets but prevents jacket separation. I shoot 10-12 deer per year so there has been a bit of "testing.".
Fusion is kinda a hybrid i wouldnt lump it in the bonded/mono category. i shot a lot of animals with that in 30 cal I like that bulet. But blood trailing tall grass in old pineapple fields, hard pass on monos and bonded. And yes I'm hunting year round shooting double digit animals too.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Why is this so preferred over the 147?
I wouldn't say it's "so preferred" over the 147. Your words, not mine. But at the moment the 140gr is easier to come by and I've never seen a 6.5 creedmoor chambered rifle not shoot the 140s well. I have seen a couple that didn't shoot the 147s great. That's it.

I would say if your gun shoots the 147 well and you can find it locally or want to order it, rock on.

Lots of hunting in MN myself - unless you are on an ag field, it will be very difficult to find a spot where you can shoot over 200yds. Even most power line clear cuts are sub 200, CRP is usually smaller than you think and +200 would be an anomaly. I love my 30-06 with SST in those hunts because it drops everything on its chin, with big violent expansion. When you miss your true target you get a higher likely hood of fragmenting into spine or an artery - or completely destroying a leg.
I personally am not at ease marching all around the thick woods on rifle opener and public land hunting poses it’s own annoyances - so I always opt to try and drop things where they stand.

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies! Does anyone have opinions on the 130gr TSX Federals? The more research I’m doing the more im intrigued by the monolithic bullets, and have found that loading for roughly the price of the 129gr Interlocks. My only concern is, would the 130gr tsx have enough steam to expand properly in a 24” barrel 6.5 creedmoor out to 400yds on deer, antelope, and the like? Would shots have to be shoulder hits or would you recommend still targeting the “V” right behind the shoulder? Thanks!
Use Hammers, LRX or even ttsx, not tsx.

Reactions: NSI
I saw the 140gr SMK were mentioned. I am working on some 130gr SMKs in a 6.5 CM. Has anyone hunted with those? How do they compare to other match bullets like the ELDM and TMKs? They do not have a polymer tip, but they should be fairly soft and fragment.

Kurts86

WKR
Most of my shots would be 300yds or closer. Realistically, within 200yds in the big woods of northern MN. Do the copper bullets offer enough expansion out of a low velocity cartridge such as the 6.5 creedmoor to reliably expand and cause enough damage at these distances?

A 6.5 creedmoor and LRX are good expanding to ~2000 fps which gets you to 450 yards with the factory load. I’ve killed deer dead right there with the LRX and 6.5 CM to 425 yards. Even with a 2200 fps minimum opening velocity you are good to 325 yards or so.

In your application what bullet you chose will have no meaningful impact on hunting success.

I saw the 140gr SMK were mentioned. I am working on some 130gr SMKs in a 6.5 CM. Has anyone hunted with those? How do they compare to other match bullets like the ELDM and TMKs? They do not have a polymer tip, but they should be fairly soft and fragment.

SMKs are largely reported to have inconsistent terminal performance. Too many other good choices to use them hunting.

Macintosh

WKR
A 6.5cm will have plenty of velocity inside 300 yards. The 127 lrx factory loads Im currently shooting carry 2200fps to 350 yards at my DA of 2200’, farther at higher elevation. That is roughly a 20% safety margin on top of barnes minimum published expansion velocity for that bullet. They work just fine. A fragmenting bullet will definitely make a bigger hole, and on average probably will incapacitate faster. You just have to try them and decide what you want. I stopped using using ballistic tips and sst’s because I thought they destroyed too much meat, and I have never had a problem recovering an animal shot with copper ttsx or lrx. I think at the ranges you are talking about they all work and they all work well, its simply your preference. If you start pushing range further, thats when you may start needing to really make sure you carry sufficient velocity.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady has two easy buttons ELDM or ELDX which everyone shoots the best out of your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Many have recommended the 140gr ELD-M. I can find the 147gr factory loaded Hornady ammo locally for the same price I can find it essentially anywhere online after shipping costs. Does the 147gr performance match that of the 140gr on game? Does the 6.5 creed have enough velocity for that weight, or would it be better suited for a 6.5 PRC or other higher velocity cartridge?

My 18" Bergara spits the 147gr out roughly 2540 fps and 143gr ELD-X roughly 2545 fps. I've not shot animals with the 147gr, but the ELD-X I have and it worked fine but was only a 200 yard shot. I still plan to shoot the 129gr Superformance SST from it though, that comes out around 2820 fps. Saving the others for my full size 6.5 CM.

I've been getting it from Skogen's, $32/box and free shipping over a certain amount and they don't charge me sales tax either. https://skogensgunsupply.com/product-details?id=331641

Kurts86

WKR
Many have recommended the 140gr ELD-M. I can find the 147gr factory loaded Hornady ammo locally for the same price I can find it essentially anywhere online after shipping costs. Does the 147gr performance match that of the 140gr on game? Does the 6.5 creed have enough velocity for that weight, or would it be better suited for a 6.5 PRC or other higher velocity cartridge?
The 147 gr is fine in a 6.5 CM, I think both the 140
And 147 loads publish velocity at 2700 fps. The minimum velocity on that bullet to get opening is around 1800 fps. Even starting at 2600 fps that bullet will hold 1800 fps to 675 yards with that BC and design.

The 147 is great but historically it’s supply has been much spottier than 140/143 and it’s a touch more finicky rifle to rifle.

Again what you are asking a rifle round to do is pretty elementary and it doesn’t really matter what you use at your ranges.

You should really download a ballistics app like shooter or Hornady 4dof so you can punch in your variables to figure out how far a minimum opening velocity is for a given bullet/load.