6.5 C or 308?

308 with a can. Greater bullet and ammo selection for a 308. Price a couple box's of 6.5 and then price a couple boxes of 308 with the same bullet. Barrel will last longer in the 308.
I am pushing 150gr AB at 2800 fps out of 18" supressed 308. I would put a can on either one being able to spot your hits thru the scope and the audible sound of hit are great when hunting alone.
Isn't the point of the .308 that it's shooting heavier bullets? I didn't take that long of a look but I've used a fair bit of Hornady ELD-X ammo and that ammo for the .308 (178gr) is the exact same price as the 6.5CM (143gr) on Midway, $44.99. I'm with you on the suppressor though, I'll never shoot or hunt without one again. Bringing a suppressed 16.5" 6.5CM on a coues hunt in a few days.

fwafwow

WKR
This is me:
83k2fa.jpg

This is also me:

83k2r4.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
Heck, maybe he was getting paid big bucks as an “influencer” to sell the .270 and would have enjoyed a flat brimmed hat at the same time.
Many good points in your post. We all know how the flow of money to promote products works today, but I’ve always wondered about the economics of the authors of Jack O‘s time. English professors today aren’t getting rich, but it’s a stable income with a lot of time off, and that probably hasn’t changed since Jack’s time.

The impression has been that he enjoyed writing, but was keenly aware of what publishers wanted to sell - it would be quite interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear the negotiations with outfitters, publishers, gun companies, trade organizations, etc. Jack was certainly good at quiet self promotion and keeping to a sellable image, so he probably ran ideas by a number of folks to drum up new hunts and sponsors, but his phone must have rang a lot as well.

Anyone who lived at the time of black and white photos seems ancient, but human nature was the same then as now.

Pdzoller

WKR
I know the .308 has a large following and a long history of success but I really think it shines as a brush gun in a lever action with blunt or round nose bullets. So many better choices for 5-600 yards. After the CBC my eyes were opened up a bit and my MER is looking more like 450 than the 650 I can routinely ring steel at. I love my 6.5cm but I’m way better cold bore with my .300win.

Per the question of the OP, I will take 6.5 any day.

WCB

WKR
In reality most guys are probably shooting 140gr 6.5crd and 165gr .308. out to 500 or 600 yards they are in my opinion one and the a same. If you are talking factory ammo. I don't care what kind of tricks someone tries to pull as close as you can compare them with standard hunting loads the elk won't know the difference.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
The more I research this, the more I think that the 7MM08 is the best choice for me. The 308 is a bit heavier on recoil and the short barrel life of the 6.5 is a major consideration. Im still considering the 308 but leaning torwards the 7MM08.

Marshfly

WKR
The more I research this, the more I think that the 7MM08 is the best choice for me. The 308 is a bit heavier on recoil and the short barrel life of the 6.5 is a major consideration. Im still considering the 308 but leaning torwards the 7MM08.

What specific barrel life are you seeing in your research for the 6.5CM and the 7mm-08?

There is a whole lot more 6.5CM availability and selection than every other cartridge at every single store here in Missoula. That includes the 308.

All of these midsize cartridges are the same in terminal ballistics with the same bullet. Weight does not matter for these North American animal. 140gr vs 180gr is the same on impact. It just is.

Buy the one that recoils the least and is easiest to buy ammo for. Shoot the hell out of it. Who cares if you have to rebarrel it a year earlier? Does that small cost really matter in hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What specific barrel life are you seeing in your research for the 6.5CM and the 7mm-08?

There is a whole lot more 6.5CM availability and selection than every other cartridge at every single store here in Missoula. That includes the 308.

All of these midsize cartridges are the same in terminal ballistics with the same bullet. Weight does not matter for these North American animal. 140gr vs 180gr is the same on impact. It just is.

Buy the one that recoils the least and is easiest to buy ammo for. Shoot the hell out of it. Who cares if you have to rebarrel it a year earlier? Does that small cost really matter in hunting?

I was going to ask the same question about barrel life. A quick glance at Hornady's charts shows very similar velocities. I don't know much about barrel wear but according to Form, the .308 is the choice for longest barrel life

When I bought my 6.5, I went to buy a 7-08. Seeing that the factory ammo was at least 2-1 in favor of the 6.5, I bought it instead. I looked again at Scheels the other day, easily the most factory options of those I took notice of.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
I was going to ask the same question about barrel life. A quick glance at Hornady's charts shows very similar velocities. I don't know much about barrel wear but according to Form, the .308 is the choice for longest barrel life

When I bought my 6.5, I went to buy a 7-08. Seeing that there was at least 2-1 in favor of the 6.5, I bought it instead. I looked again at Scheels the other day, easily the most factory options of those I took notice of.

I set up a Tikka 6.5cm for my son this fall. Easy 0.7 inch 10 shot group with ELDX. A buddy was with us and wanted me to sight in his CVA 308 with a Leupold VX3. I did but after watching how well the Tikka/Trijicon Credo combo performed, shooting it himself, and seeing the difference in the scope, he sold it that week and put together the exact same rifle as I built for my son. Result? 0.8 10 shot group with ELDX.

It’s just easy, reliable, and it kills stuff. You have to really hate the creedmore to choose a 7mm08 or 308 over it today.

TaperPin

WKR
Barrel life is a legitimate cost for a high volume shooter. If a 6.5 lasts 3000 rounds, the 7mm goes 6000 and the 308 makes it to 9000, it wouldn’t surprise me.

A replacement factory barrel is somewhere around $500, and that’s $.17 per shot for the 6.5, half that for the 7mm and 1/3 that for the 308.

Marshfly

WKR
How does this compare to the other 2 in terms of ammo cost and barrel life?
@BCD How many rounds a year will you realistically shoot out of this rifle that barrel life is a concern? How many rounds out of all rifles did you shoot this year so far?

As an aside, if you train that much that barrel life is a concern, you should have a second rifle that is exceptionally cheap to shoot to do it with. cough*223*cough.

Here is the reality - 6.5 CM/260 rem, 7mm08, and 308 are all splitting hairs out to 600 yards. Its like debating between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. There isn’t a wrong answer.