5 inch suppressor for long action or magnum cartridges?

cast10K

FNG
I have a little collection of Dominus cans that I run on barrels as long as 21". I use low rings and can't see the can in my scope even at 3x. I see no reason to get a shorter can as the Dominus CB adds less than 6" to the overall length. The sound suppression and recoil reduction are amazing. I feel that the overall length concerns are a little overblown as I routinely hunt some pretty thick areas and have no issues.

I still see this as a downside. Even with my 1.5" cans and I usually use medium or high rings, I can still see the suppressor in my scope when on magnification below 5x. Its not the end of the world, but just a word of caution for someone trying to run their scope as close to the barrel as possible and getting a large diameter can.
This is true for me. I just got my banish 30 (1.5” wide) and I can see more of it than I was expecting. And my scope lives on 2.5x until I see something. I think my next can will likely be a harvester evo for This reason

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is true for me. I just got my banish 30 (1.5” wide) and I can see more of it than I was expecting. And my scope lives on 2.5x until I see something. I think my next can will likely be a harvester evo for This reason
Does the harvester evo have less than a 1.5” diameter?

I guess I see my banish 30 also when my scope is dialed down to 3 but it dosent bother me that much. Cause im used to shooting my 375s with 1.5x scopes where you see the barrel in the scope image.

I don't think that will solve anything since it's 1.57" unless you mount your scope higher.

I don't think that will solve anything since it's 1.57" unless you mount your scope higher.
It won’t make it better, but it won’t be as bad as say a 1.8” dominus. I wasn’t trying to solve the “problem”, I would just rather not make it worse by buying a wider can

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
1.57” according to their website
Wait, so a 1.5” silencer interrupts your view which bothers you, and you’re going to get a silencer with a bigger diameter?
The ultra has better barrel length restrictions. A pro for some maybe.
sure. I guess it just goes to show that there is pretty much no “one size fits all” solution in this game. I have an ultra 7 on order and I’m wishing I’d bought the dominus only because I already have a 1.5”x7” silencer. It would have been cool to get something a bit different, I just got caught up in the moment. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll really enjoy the ultra 7, it’s just going to be a bit repetitive for me.

One of my rifles is 5.5lbs all scopes up, it would have been cool to have a lighter, shorter option for that particular rifle.

Wait, so a 1.5” silencer interrupts your view which bothers you, and you’re going to get a silencer with a bigger diameter?
Thats only 1/16” bigger than 1.5”. Which makes only 1/32” of that visible on the top. No one is going to notice 1/32”. And it doesn’t necessarily bother me, I’d just rather not see more of it than I already do. The gun it’s going on will have a different stock tho, so it’s possible it may not be an issue at all. Time will tell

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thats only 1/16” bigger than 1.5”. Which makes only 1/32” of that visible on the top. No one is going to notice 1/32”. And it doesn’t necessarily bother me, I’d just rather not see more of it than I already do. The gun it’s going on will have a different stock tho, so it’s possible it may not be an issue at all. Time will tell
You’re right, it’s not much bigger at all. I do t even know if there’s any silencers that are lass than 1.5” for 30 caliber. I’m trying to not geek out on silencers too much as it’s a whole new rabbit hole but now I have 2 and 2 more on the way, I’m already trying to decide what the 5th will be.

Haha same my banish 30 is my first and I’ve only had it a week and I’m about to order my second already. I’d honestly be happy with another but I’m not going through SC again

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Haha same my banish 30 is my first and I’ve only had it a week and I’m about to order my second already. I’d honestly be happy with another but I’m not going through SC again
I really like my banish 30. I guess my experience with SC wasn’t too bad. The 2 cans I have on the way are going through them. It works well since I don’t live in a place with a silencer shop kiosk.

I really like my banish 30. I guess my experience with SC wasn’t too bad. The 2 cans I have on the way are going through them. It works well since I don’t live in a place with a silencer shop kiosk.
I have zero complaints with their process. They make it incredibly easy for the first time buyer. The timeline was my problem. Just under 11 months to get mine on an efile

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have zero complaints with their process. They make it incredibly easy for the first time buyer. The timeline was my problem. Just under 11 months to get mine on an efile
Yeah it’s slow for sure. Going through them saves me 2500+ dollars though. If I fly to anchorage to buy then again to pick up. Add on rental cars, hotels, meals and whatever else I drop $$$ on while in town. The extra few weeks is usually worth it. Now that I have a few silencers to play with, it really is making the wait easy.

I am not a suppressor guru. I bought a 6.25in, 12oz suppressor from Idaho Suppressor Works. It’s their Barrel Forward titanium model. So it’s 6.25in, but threads over the barrel making it add less than 6.25in to your overall length. Small company, close to my home and they gave me 25% off which basically covered the paperwork and stamp.
It’s on an ultralight 6.5 with 18in barrel. Shoots like a pellet gun. I have been waiting over 6mos for my second suppressor. Exact same model. Plan is to put it on a 300WM. So I can’t answer your original question yet… Plan as of now is to put it on a 19in barrel and I’m assuming/hoping it will function similarly as my first.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am not a suppressor guru. I bought a 6.25in, 12oz suppressor from Idaho Suppressor Works. It’s their Barrel Forward titanium model. So it’s 6.25in, but threads over the barrel making it add less than 6.25in to your overall length. Small company, close to my home and they gave me 25% off which basically covered the paperwork and stamp.
It’s on an ultralight 6.5 with 18in barrel. Shoots like a pellet gun. I have been waiting over 6mos for my second suppressor. Exact same model. Plan is to put it on a 300WM. So I can’t answer your original question yet… Plan as of now is to put it on a 19in barrel and I’m assuming/hoping it will function similarly as my first.
How far back does it go on your barrel/how much overall length does it add?

How far back does it go on your barrel/how much overall length does it add?
Threads over the barrel .75in.
To be honest, I’m not sure how that compares to others. The guy that has built my rifles is in S AZ, he recommended the guys in ID… I ordered. I’m sure a lighter model is on the horizon, but my entire family loves shooting the 6.5 and I’m sure happy with it

Oldffemt

WKR
When I got my first can it was advised that I focus on a mounting system that made sense and buy the can that fit. I wasn’t into ultra lightweight at that point so I ended up with a griffin receipt 7. Other than the 16oz weight I’m still completely happy with it (7years later) and use it on my hunting rifles for now.
I’m planning to buy a griffin explorr by the end of the year. It’s ~6” and weighs 10oz with no barrel length restrictions. I’m already invested in their taper mounts (they’re awesome, lightweight and reasonably priced) so don’t see a reason to change to another mfg. Suppression and recoil reduction on the recce7 can is fantastic.
As someone else already said. If the can is too long or the balance is too far off, cut the barrel back some.
FYI, I always wear earpro at the range but not while hunting suppressed.