5 inch suppressor for long action or magnum cartridges?

Oldffemt

WKR
Also, SC has the explorr for$700 and a free tax stamp promo at the moment. I waited 19months for my first atf approval so the fact that it’s not in stock doesn’t bother me too much. Should have it in hand by the time the snow melts here.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wait, so a 1.5” silencer interrupts your view which bothers you, and you’re going to get a silencer with a bigger diameter?

sure. I guess it just goes to show that there is pretty much no “one size fits all” solution in this game. I have an ultra 7 on order and I’m wishing I’d bought the dominus only because I already have a 1.5”x7” silencer. It would have been cool to get something a bit different, I just got caught up in the moment. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll really enjoy the ultra 7, it’s just going to be a bit repetitive for me.

One of my rifles is 5.5lbs all scopes up, it would have been cool to have a lighter, shorter option for that particular rifle.
Iv heard enough that with a supersonic rifle cartridge I don’t think there is much of a difference between an ultra 7 and the bigger stuff. The sonic crack is still enough to be irritating without ear pro, but you can tell a difference more with ear pro on it seems.

We will see when the magnus arrives for me but another ultra 7 is on my short list. That or an ultra 5 specific for the 223.

jrfred

FNG
Can't tell you how many times in my life I didn't have time to put the plugs in before taking the shot (hunting with a 7mm RM), then afterwards thinking, "that wasn't too loud", must be the open mountains, when in fact it's probably adrenaline masking the noise, but it can't be good for your ears. I'm 56 now and my ears are ringing (also from chainsaws, grinders, speakers, etc. from when I was young and dumb). So my goal is to have something rather than nothing when hunting for the rest of my life, and I want it to be short and light for walking through the woods; the TBAC 5" seems to have the best stats so I plan to get that. I've had custom molded electronic ear plugs for the range for 15 years but the damage is already done and it sucks to be at bars and restaurants. Learn from my mistakes.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Harvester EVO last summers and used it hunting last year, I won't hunt without one now. I like it so much I bought two more this spring, will be waiting on them for a bit.

I bought the EVO for several reasons, 1) it works well to reduce noise, 2) it's short and light (6.2", 10.8 oz) and 3) it's affordable (I paid $550 plus tax stamp).

You can get shorter and lighter suppressers but it will cost you, for me, the size, weight and price all aligned with what I was willing to accept.

I've got one on a 20" 308, the other will go on a 24" 6.5 CM (wish it was 22") and a 22" 7 PRC.

These are rated to 300 WM but not full-auto, well suited for hunting but not extended shooting with auto rifles.

1688655443691.png

Last edited:
My not professional and professional opinion is that 5" suppressors are pointless, while they do improve the situation, you'll been miles happier with a 9" suppressor.

I'd have to shoot a 7" before I committed to buying one. I'll always go for maximum suppression soley for my ears

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
'However, if going to 18" I feel like I'd want a magnum or long action cartridge to try and retain as much velocity as possible"

Actually, I'd go the other direction...magnums need a longer barrel to get the most of all the the gas the large heap of powder is generating. A long action round like the 30-06 would be ok with a 20" bbl but it would be a waste with a 300 WM. The 308 is just about ideally suited for short barrels at 18"+, mine is 22" and I think it's perfect.

'However, if going to 18" I feel like I'd want a magnum or long action cartridge to try and retain as much velocity as possible"

Actually, I'd go the other direction...magnums need a longer barrel to get the most of all the the gas the large heap of powder is generating. A long action round like the 30-06 would be ok with a 20" bbl but it would be a waste with a 300 WM. The 308 is just about ideally suited for short barrels at 18"+, mine is 22" and I think it's perfect.
This is a very common misconception. Larger capacity cartridges will always be faster than smaller capacity cartridges at any equal barrel length. Efficient? No. Faster? Every single time.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
This is a very common misconception. Larger capacity cartridges will always be faster than smaller capacity cartridges at any equal barrel length. Efficient? No. Faster? Every single time.
My point wasn't about velocity being equal, it was about reasonable efficiency as you stated.

To my way of thinking, it would be a waste of muzzle blast and recoil to have a 20" 30-06, 300 WSM or 300 WM when a 308 could do very well with the same barrel and be much more enjoyable to shoot.

If velocity is your religion, then you must worship long tubes!

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose that's one way to go about it, to each is own! It seems a waste of effort to me to have all that unburnt power and unused gas just going out the barrel.

ID_Matt

WKR
I couldn't care less about efficiency. I pick the bullet and barrel length I want and then select a cartridge that will make the speed I desire. Then I screw a muffler on it and muzzle blast is no longer part of the equation.
My exact thoughts as well.

I suppose that's one way to go about it, to each is own! It seems a waste of effort to me to have all that unburnt power and unused gas just going out the barrel.

Longest barrel I'd hunt with is 22" but I prefer a 20" if I'm shooting supersonic ammo. If I'm shooting subsonic I don't go over 10"

PRS match gun I'd go with a 24 or 26" because I don't use a suppressor for that

The misconception here, is thinking all magnums are comparably the same, with respect to efficiency and length. The 300 win-mag, and the 300-wsm, grouped together on the post above, seems prove that misconception, again.

When the goal is, a shorter rifle, and an efficient use of gun powder. This is where the 300-wsm shines. The 300-wsm benefits from a shorter action, and with a shorter barrel requirement, and with less gun powder, all while keeping pace in velocity with it's older relative, the 300 win-mag.

To get back on topic of short suppressors, and overall rifle length. The Banish 30, comes in 9", with a removable 2" section, making for a 7" option.

With an elk trip planned for later this year, you may have seen me at the rifle range with the 7" banish profile, on a 300 wsm. This combo, is the goldilocks of elk rifles!

SloppyJ

WKR
Here's an odd ball: AB Raptor. They sell them based on how many baffles are in them. There are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 models. They are also "reflex" style can where they have a detachable rear portion that fits over the barrel. It comes in lengths of 2", 3", 4", and 5". Calibers are 5.56, 7.62, 3.38 and 3.75.

The best all arounder is the Raptor 8 with a 3" reflex from my conversations with them. The 8 stack Raptor weighs 8oz and is 6.3" long. You add the reflex portion over the barrel to extend to 9" but only 6" is in front of the muzzle.

I really liked them and the numbers they put up are extremely impressive. I ended up with the Raptor 10 in 7.62 with a 3" reflex module. I'm only 180 days in on my first 4 cans right now so still waiting for them to clear.

I've seen a few others mention them on here and they seem to be getting more coverage. They're made in KC and that's very close to me. You can call and actually speak to someone that will answer your questions.

I ran a 9 inch can on my 308 for years. Yes it added length but the amount of sound suppression was excellent and hearing safe.

As an extreme example I run a 5 inch can on my 12.7 inch LWRC and a 10.5 inch upper before that. That is not hearing safe for my preferences during training. A one or two round hunting scenario might be ok but I’m another with hearing damage already and don’t want to make it worse.

7 is what I would be looking at.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
@Loper what did you decide on?

I’ve got a SilencerCo Harvester EVO waiting in jail. It is about 6.2 inches long. After reading a lot more of the 6.5/6/223 threads, I’m less inclined to use a magnum cartridge as the smaller calibers will likely be fine at the distances I hunt at. Once the suppressor comes in, I’ll probably be chopping a few barrels back to 18”.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a SilencerCo Harvester EVO waiting in jail. It is about 6.2 inches long. After reading a lot more of the 6.5/6/223 threads, I’m less inclined to use a magnum cartridge as the smaller calibers will likely be fine at the distances I hunt at. Once the suppressor comes in, I’ll probably be chopping a few barrels back to 18”.
I have three EVOs, they are great! Just used one in Kansas last week.