40th Birthday Gift for my hunter!

Ladies and gentlemen!
I hope everyone is having a lovely start to the fall season! I am in DESPERATE need of some help! My boyfriend, who is a VERY passionate and experienced hunter will be turning 40 this November. I want to get him a gift he will not only LOVE but use. His biggest passion in life is hunting and I would love nothing more than to give him something that makes his eyes and heart light up like a little kid! I have ZERO experience or knowledge, so I won't pretend to, that is what brings me here! A little bit about my hunter! We live in the Omaha metro area, he is an archery hunter. He wears KUIU and Sitka gear that I have noticed, he plans to moose hunt in Alaska next year, he lost a few quality tree stands this year due to excessive storms here in the heartland ($300 price range), he also went Pronghorn hunting this past August with no luck, not sure if I could get him another tag for another shot at that game.... Any help or guidance i would GREATLY appreciate. Thanks everyone! :)

Love that you’re on here asking, depending on budget what I would love would be redemption at Antelope. New Mexico and Wyoming could be good options to get him dialed in on a tag next year. Others here could probably chime in with some stronger guidance. I’m just answering from an idea standpoint.
Good luck!

Legend

WKR
Westen Mountaineering 20 degree sleeping bag. Lifetime bag if taken care of.

Or a gun. Can't go wrong with a gun even if he is a bowhunter.

Don't buy archery stuff. He will have a strong opinion on that stuff and you might not get it right.

I would be very careful getting him a rifle or bow, men can be very picky with those. My wife bought me a bow for my birthday a few years ago and I ended up up taking it back to the shop and getting a different one.

If he's got a buddy that he hunts with frequently it'd be a good idea to engage them for ideas as well.

Off the top of my head everybody loves Benchmade knives, maybe a custom MKC knife, Kuiu and Sitka are good but it'll be difficult knowing what pieces he has already.

$100 Goal Zero solar panel
$500 Garmin InReach
$1000-$2000 Binoculars/Spotting scope/Riflescope

High end sleeping bag is a great option $500-$1000

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
If he plans to hunt moose in Alaska, does he plan for a fly in or float hunt? Does he currently backpack hunt? Does he have gear for backpack hunting?

I would take a general interest in his Moose hunt and Alaska and try to get him talking about plans and gear. Then, get an idea for what he needs and get that.

Some things
-A good tent (Hilleberg)
-An inReach with a year of service and rescue insurance
-Argaly game bags for moose
-If within budget, a Swarovski spotter or Swarovski NL pure binoculars
-Packs can be picky, but an Exo K4 5000 could be good. The 7200 will likely be too big and if he can make a 3600 bag work then he already has a pack.

Half of the fun with guns and bows is shopping for them, so I don't recommend those.

You can get into diamond and pearl type money with hunting gear pretty easy.

Ladies and gentlemen!
I hope everyone is having a lovely start to the fall season! I am in DESPERATE need of some help! My boyfriend, who is a VERY passionate and experienced hunter will be turning 40 this November. I want to get him a gift he will not only LOVE but use. His biggest passion in life is hunting and I would love nothing more than to give him something that makes his eyes and heart light up like a little kid! I have ZERO experience or knowledge, so I won't pretend to, that is what brings me here! A little bit about my hunter! We live in the Omaha metro area, he is an archery hunter. He wears KUIU and Sitka gear that I have noticed, he plans to moose hunt in Alaska next year, he lost a few quality tree stands this year due to excessive storms here in the heartland ($300 price range), he also went Pronghorn hunting this past August with no luck, not sure if I could get him another tag for another shot at that game.... Any help or guidance i would GREATLY appreciate. Thanks everyone! :)
Be careful of these guys here. The 2 things all of them have noticed is 1. You care about your man and 2. You're not married yet. Added together, they all are thinking, God! What a catch!

As far as gifts, I don't have enough information to help.

Felix40

WKR
Cash with a note to buy something nice then show you what you bought him.

Seriously, I don’t want my wife spending money on stuff she knows nothing about and I am super particular about.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It is above and beyond to come to place with a bunch of super obsessed idiots like us to ask. But guys are right we are pretty particular about it, a tag would be a sweet gift but a cheap one will run you 2500 plus

Legend

WKR
I just realized this is her first post. She wants to find the perfect gift for this guy so bad that she was willing to join a hunting forum. Impressive!!

Now about those memes.....should probably welcome the new member.

I’m pretty particular about the gear I use. But I have told my wife that I just want Darn Tough socks they’re great. Perhaps a lifetime hunting/fishing license? This will set you back $1008 in Nebraska for both hunting and fishing $355 for just hunting. Or access passes for state managed lands or national forests can be a great gift.

Last edited: