40 Mile Price Increases for 2023

AKBorn

WKR
Just checked the 40 Mile Air website, and looks like there are some significant price increases for 2023 flights, gear loads, etc. If you are planning a 2023 or later hunt with 40 Mile, better take a look and start figuring out how to save the extra dough to cover the price increases...

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
How much did it go up?
Base rate for caribou flyout went from $2795 to $3795. Cost to haul meat/cape/antlers back to Tok and store in the chilled boxcar went from $900 to $1000. If you opt for an additional 200-pound gear load (I always do), that cost went from $1200 to $1600.

z987k

WKR
They have to recoup the money lost on avgas sales after they refused to sell avgas to anyone from Aug-October. Without telling anyone that was the case. Unless you were in a cherokee or something incapable of hunting. Then you could buy gas.

Movi

FNG
Everything has went up. I can't believe they held out so long on raising prices. Still less than half the price of the guy south of them.....

gbflyer

WKR
They have to recoup the money lost on avgas sales after they refused to sell avgas to anyone from Aug-October. Without telling anyone that was the case. Unless you were in a cherokee or something incapable of hunting. Then you could buy gas.

Their prerogative I guess, but wow that’s not cool. Is Northway still without fuel? Friend of mine has a place in Chicken. Guess if I ever go visit I better bring some jugs for car gas. My airplane looks like it could go to their strips, and probably could, but not with me in it. Haha.

Movi

FNG
I’m giving up my moose spot so there’s a spot opening. Not giving it up due to price increase because honestly I think they should raise it another 1000.

Maybe one of you lucky roksliders will get it!

Northway hasn't had fuel in ages. It was somewhat concerning for anyone ferrying up or just flying an airplane form Canada. Whitehorse to Northway for customs then tok immediately for fuel. Next fuel isn't until either fairbanks or Gulkana.
Some guys started landing on the road and pulling into the car gas station. I mean what are you going to do? The one guy that sells fuel suddenly stopped for no good eason and didn't NOTAM it or anything.

Joke's on them though, they pissed off a couple local pilots and those local pilot's published every locally known strip in the 40 mile area on the internet for the world to see. Coordinates, length, geolocated on a map.
That way anyone and everyone in the world with an airplane and a set of 31s can hunt on the strip right next to their clients.
What was the reasoning behind not selling the fuel?

Seems like a dick move to post all of the landing strips, although I guess a lot of it was public knowledge.

jhm2023

WKR
To keep local hunters out of the area. Typical of some operation that starts to feel they "own" the public land. They only stopped selling fuel for hunting season. And if you showed up needing some and couldn't run cargas, you were stuck. Hunt over.

Really backfired, now the locals will just have one person drive the truck over to tanacross with avgas in a barrel and have access to all the new hunting spots people that were not local to the area didn't know about.

With the all but closure of Nelchina, 40 mile country is about to get busy.
I've always wondered why no one ever took advantage of the Tanacross airstrip. The only use I've seen it get is the car races in the summer.

gbflyer

WKR
Northway hasn't had fuel in ages. It was somewhat concerning for anyone ferrying up or just flying an airplane form Canada. Whitehorse to Northway for customs then tok immediately for fuel. Next fuel isn't until either fairbanks or Gulkana.
Some guys started landing on the road and pulling into the car gas station. I mean what are you going to do? The one guy that sells fuel suddenly stopped for no good eason and didn't NOTAM it or anything.

Joke's on them though, they pissed off a couple local pilots and those local pilot's published every locally known strip in the 40 mile area on the internet for the world to see. Coordinates, length, geolocated on a map.
That way anyone and everyone in the world with an airplane and a set of 31s can hunt on the strip right next to their clients.

Last time for me flying in that country was…2008. Damn, doesn’t seem that long ago. We fueled in Tok direct to Haines Alaska without a Canada stop on our leg back home. There was no fuel in Northway then, didn’t know if that had ever been lined out.

Way to small of aviation community in Alaska to do a maneuver like that. Like you say, lots of folks have big tires.