3rd season tactics

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to venture outside of my home state and try a 3rd season tag next year. As a disclaimer I have read through I believe all the previous posts about 3rd season elk and I am not looking for units or anything specific. The area I am looking at is between 10K and 12K for elevation and all the e scouting articles talk about normal bedding habitat, feeding etc and avoiding steep slopes but watching videos a lot of the elk seem be on very steep slopes regardless of the time of year. I know the cliche that "elk are where you find them" but I'd love any tips or tricks on how to find elk in steep country post rut. I hunt in southern utah where we don't have such steep country and it's more open in my region. Elk numbers are very low and they seem to never bed on north facing slopes nor feed on south facing slopes so I understand they adapt. cliff notes version of the post is that I would love some helpful advice on locating elk in late season and steep terrain, I'm not looking for anyones honey holes and I understand that it takes a lot of work to find them.

AARONB

FNG
I'm assuming you're talking about a November or later season, in which case, snow depths can help determine what elevations elk are at and where you're willing to go. If you want to target an older age class of bulls or are hunting a highly pressured area, you may want/need to hunt steeper slopes. In that case you'll probably have to run ridges and find glassing spots. This is a no-brainer but elk, like any animal, will be where they want to be, and that's where they haven't been bothered and food is in the general area. That includes steep slopes, dark timber, high or low elevation, or private property.

Zig4648

FNG
I agree with others elk won’t be that high, they will be low in wintering grounds where food is easier to access. Small hikes off road to glass areas are effective

dusky

FNG
I've not hunted bulls in 3rd season (CO), only cows. And the cows aren't that high, that's for sure. And the younger bulls are the same elevation as the cows, or even in the same herd. I find that elk will go as flat as they can so long as there is food and sanctuary. "Steep" is relative. I find elk in my area during 3rd season everywhere from 0 to about 30 degree slopes. If you're targeting a bull, it doesn't take a big patch of food or exposed face to feed them. When it comes to food, it can be useful to key in on what you mentioned - slope orientation. Certain climates and certain seasons and certain years and certain recent weather patterns produce the best food depending on elevation and slope orientation. Look for fresh green grasses or new leaves. Find where the recent sign is, note the elevation and slope orientation, distance from hunters, etc. and the pattern will emerge.

Saddles are your friend, and I'm not referring to the ones that hang from the ceiling, nor the ones that go on a horse.