35 Whelen build help

Bare with me fellas--- Could I do something like this

https://simpsonltd.com/remington-700-adl-z49028/#gallery-5

Is there any downside to taking the barrel off that action, putting a new one on and buying an aftermarket stock from McMillan?

chris

No real downside. As others have said, you can part it out and end up with a little over $300 in the action (depending on shipping and transfer fees). If you have a smith put the barrel on (shouldered) you would be looking at around $1000 to rebarrel. If you do a Remage, you can cut about $350 from that (general cost for a smith to chamber and fit a barrel), but there would be a bit of cost to you to get the barrel vise and action wrench.

Or--- I also went to Shaw barrels and they have a Mark VII that you can build in their gun builder app. I built one up with everything I wanted and it came out to $1870. I personally don't know much about the company or their guns, but it is another option if anyone has input.

View attachment 538159

BUILD SUMMARY​

BARREL: 35 WHELEN ACK (HSP) - (Caliber Size: .358) - (Twist Rate: 1-14) - 23" - Chrome Moly - Helical Fluting - Matte - Sporter
$475.00
RECEIVER: Chrome Moly Matte - Plain Bolt - Right Handed
$530.00
STOCK: H-S Precision Stock
$480.00
EXTRAS: Muzzle Brake - Chrome Molly Matte
    Install Timney Trigger
$175.00
$165.00
SHIPPING:
$45.00

TOTAL: $1,870.00​

chris

Shaw rifles use a Savage action, which some have an issue with. Me, not so much, but I do prefer other actions. Their barrels are what most would consider "budget", but for a hunting rifle, they will be just fine. I have had 2. One on a Savage and one on a Mauser. Both shot acceptably for the hunting application I was using them in, but both were what I would consider "finicky", meaning they shot what they liked well, but had other things that shot really poorly. My experience with McGowen, Wilson, Bartlein, X-Caliber, Match Grade Machine, and Brux have all been different. They shoot what they don't like acceptably and shoot what they like exceptionally.
That isn't to say you won't get a good rifle from Shaw. Plus, you get to build it to your specs. I guess you will have to make the final decision.

WKR
What bullet do you want to shoot? If you are looking at something pointy like a 225 accubond, you may want to make up a dummy round for your anticipated max mag length and send it to whoever is chambering your barrel so you don't end up with too long of a throat.

gerry35

WKR
What bullet do you want to shoot? If you are looking at something pointy like a 225 accubond, you may want to make up a dummy round for your anticipated max mag length and send it to whoever is chambering your barrel so you don't end up with too long of a throat.

What is the blue solid bullet in your avatar? I can recognize the other two but not that one.

OP
C
Love to shoot 225 accubonds. I think I'd have better luck finding a unicorn though.

chris

Reactions: 9.1
You and I have talked back and forth about this before. Previously, I thought about using my 30-06 Ruger, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. I'm still all in on doing it, but just need to find all the parts now. Where did you get an M98 action?

chris
I got the M98 action from a pawn shop .270 Win I picked up for not a lot of $$ years ago with the intent to use it for the Whelen build. I can understand not sacrificing the Ruger. Keep finding the parts as you find your way on the project, I took a couple years as I thought through it as well.

Love to shoot 225 accubonds. I think I'd have better luck finding a unicorn though.

chris
200 TTSX is the ticket for me. Best combo of velocity and BC going for longer shots, carry's 2000+ fps to 500 yards at western hunting elevations. Barnes has them in stock. I also have some 200 gr Power Hammers loaded but haven't been to the range yet, they are in stock at Hammer.

OP
C
200 TTSX is the ticket for me. Best combo of velocity and BC going for longer shots, carry's 2000+ fps to 500 yards at western hunting elevations. Barnes has them in stock. I also have some 200 gr Power Hammers loaded but haven't been to the range yet, they are in stock at Hammer.
I Barnes has killed a few deer for me, but for some reason I went away from them. I plan to come back to them in my other calibers in 2023. I have recovered one or two and can't believe the weight retained. I guess that really helps guns like the 35 because you don't have to shoot a 250 grain bullet to retain the same weight that other bullets do.

OP
C
For those who have bought used actions--

1. All you need is a standard action and bolt face? Are there specific ones to look for or avoid?
2. I have seen some pretty worn used actions. Do you worry about parts being worn? What do you do about worn bluing and such?
3. Do you feel it is economical? Replacing trigger groups, gunsmithing and etc all add up. At some point wouldn't a new action be just as economical?

chris

Spoonbill

WKR

1. All you need is a standard action and bolt face? Are there specific ones to look for or avoid?
2. I have seen some pretty worn used actions. Do you worry about parts being worn? What do you do about worn bluing and such?
3. Do you feel it is economical? Replacing trigger groups, gunsmithing and etc all add up. At some point wouldn't a new action be just as economical?

chris
1. That’s correct. As a general rule, I would say avoid any action that looks like its been subjected to a kitchen table gunsmith. Outside of that, it is kind of a broad question without knowing more about what action you want.
2. If it is a common commercial action, you should be able to get replacement parts.
3. It depends, if you are going to replace all the parts with new parts then yes. However if you plan on reusing the stock, keeping the factory trigger etc, then it may be the same. I wouldnt worry about bluing, you can get the gun reblued or cerakoted.

BCsteve

WKR
You're over thinking this. Find a used (or new) rifle of the action of your choice that is chambered for a standard bolt face long action cartridge (.270 Win, .30-06, etc...) have a gunsmith pull the original barrel and screw on a new .35 Whelen barrel. Done!

Mine started as a used stainless Ruger MkII in .30-06 and is now a 1:14 twist .35 Whelen. Do it!

Shraggs

WKR

chris

Personally in 35 cal the partion 225 is shorter and has a better bc, or used to vs the accubond.

Personally not a fan of Barnes, but these are big holes —- but am impressed with the two kills with the 200 hammer.

WKR
Personally in 35 cal the partion 225 is shorter and has a better bc, or used to vs the accubond.
The 250 grain partition has a higher listed BC than the 225 grain bullets, but it doesn't outrun the 225 accubond before they drop below 1800fps in any scenario I've run through a calculator.
Screenshot_20230404-183421.png

gerry35

WKR
Seeing the two side by side there is no way the 225 gr Accubond has a lower b.c.

To the OP like BCSteve said you're overthinking it just pick an action you like that is in good shape and rock on. Find a good donor and go from there, good luck.

Reactions: 9.1

WKR

chris
It gets more economical if you can just order a barrel you can put on yourself. I got a good deal on a used savage 270 that I hunted with for 10 years before buying a barrel, wrench, and go gauge to convert it to 35 Whelen.

What kind of barrel length, stock and trigger do you want?

Original Barnes 200 X and 250 X along with respective ivories. .736" expanded diameter. 100% weight retention on quartering shots. Quartering away ended up in the off-side neck meat. Quartering to ended up under the off-side rear quarter hide as a bump that was easily visible when getting ready to field dress. Only two (of any version of Barnes bullets) I have recovered from elk or deer in 30 seasons.

9D3F7656-F703-4F24-9750-44C8176921A0.jpeg3EA40777-BDA2-45F0-90CD-3C0B046700AC.jpeg

ldmay375

FNG
The 250 grain partition has a higher listed BC than the 225 grain bullets, but it doesn't outrun the 225 accubond before they drop below 1800fps in any scenario I've run through a calculator.
View attachment 539193
I don't think under any real circumstances that a .009 BC advantage is any real advantage. That is near zero difference based on BC alone.