35 Whelen build help

Shraggs

WKR
The 250 grain partition has a higher listed BC than the 225 grain bullets, but it doesn't outrun the 225 accubond before they drop below 1800fps in any scenario I've run through a calculator.
View attachment 539193

Yep you’re right. Looking back, the bc on the partion when I bought them was listed at .430 and accubond was .421. Not sure what year those each changed. But at one time the partion was listed higher…

It is shorter which may aid in loading aggressively.

OP
C
It gets more economical if you can just order a barrel you can put on yourself. I got a good deal on a used savage 270 that I hunted with for 10 years before buying a barrel, wrench, and go gauge to convert it to 35 Whelen.

What kind of barrel length, stock and trigger do you want?
I was thinking of a 22 or 23 inch barrel. Not sure which barrel manufacturer I would go with. I have liked the Timney triggers I put in two of my rifles and would probably stick with those. I like the McMillan Gamewarden that I put on my Christensen 300 Win. I am leaning towards that for a stock.

Yes, I might be overthinking it, but I want a nice gun when I'm done. I don't want it to look like a yard sale. I want to spend the money to make it a really great gun.

chris

I just had a Weatherby Vanguard 270 rebarreled to 35 Whelen. Did 22 in #2 countour 1:12 stainless barrel cerakoted in tungsten and a Bell & Carlson stock. With barrel, labor, stock, and what a barreled action would cost I'm in it a little under 2k. Havent shot it much but 4 diffent different factory loads shot anywhere from .5 - 1.2 in groups.20230403_141359.jpg

OP
C
I just had a Weatherby Vanguard 270 rebarreled to 35 Whelen. Did 22 in #2 countour 1:12 stainless barrel cerakoted in tungsten and a Bell & Carlson stock. With barrel, labor, stock, and what a barreled action would cost I'm in it a little under 2k. Havent shot it much but 4 diffent different factory loads shot anywhere from .5 - 1.2 in groups.View attachment 539365
I really like the look of that. Which barrel did you choose?

chris

One thought... With the ballistics of the 200 TTSX out of my 35 Whelen Ackley improved, it's carrying 2,000 FPS to the 500 yard line at 8000'. There is good information on this forum about the cone of fire past 400 yards with a human behind the trigger that shows you better be darn good or the animal doesn't deserve to be shot at. I've never had to shoot further than 341 yards.

OP
C
One thought... With the ballistics of the 200 TTSX out of my 35 Whelen Ackley improved, it's carrying 2,000 FPS to the 500 yard line at 8000'. There is good information on this forum about the cone of fire past 400 yards with a human behind the trigger that shows you better be darn good or the animal doesn't deserve to be shot at. I've never had to shoot further than 341 yards.
I'm in the closer is better camp so that isn't an issue.

chris

WKR
I couldn't find a budget stainless Remington or Tikka action in stock in my brief search, but if you could find a long action or used rifle for less than $500 something like this could be an option for you:

Remington 700 SPS Stainless: $850
Sell barrel, trigger, and stock: -$150
McGowen shouldered 1:12 22" barrel: $375
McGowen barrel install: $220
Timney Elite Hunter: $170
McMillian Game Warden 2.0: $750
TOTAL: $2,215

If I were starting from scratch with a $2,000 budget, I might try something like this:

Savage 110 storm: $800
Sell barrel, trigger, and stock: -$250
McGowen 18" 1:12 w/ ⅝ threads: $370
Machined recoil lug: $35
Barrel wrench: $30
Go gauge: $35
Elf trigger: $170
XLR Element w/ folding adapter and mag: $620
Taccom Cheek Riser Adjustable Buttstock: $170
Magpul K2 grip: $20
TOTAL: $2,000

…except if I was starting over on a fast-twist 35 Whelen build, I'd probably go with a fast twist 338-06 AI for higher BCs and bullet selection (sorry for going completely off topic here).

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at all the replies, my only real question is where to get an action from. Even getting a donor rifle might not be super easy and I want to make sure I'm not buying some type of problem action.

The rest seems pretty simple. Barrels seem to be a matter of preference and there are plenty of manufactures. Trigger groups are simple. I have it narrowed down to 3 or 4 stocks. An action seems to be my sticking point.

chris
Give Tim or Adam a call for a action. https://shop.kaugerarms.com/actions/
This is one of the best actions out there-AS good as a Borden or BAT without the wait.
You need to use a long action, if you want a internal or external magazine. If you went with a single-shot action you could use a short action.

Cheaper route is to go with a Remington

May be cheaper to find a used rifle in 270 Winchester or 30-06, and start from there

OP
C
If a used Remington 700 costs $600, and he wants a new barrel, trigger, and stock, I think it makes more sense to buy the $450 action. Otherwise it's just extra hassle and gunsmithing fees to remove and sell the parts he doesn't want.
My thoughts

dneaster3

FNG
If a used Remington 700 costs $600, and he wants a new barrel, trigger, and stock, I think it makes more sense to buy the $450 action. Otherwise it's just extra hassle and gunsmithing fees to remove and sell the parts he doesn't want.
Fair points.

But selling off those parts is a great way to keep overall costs down, and a long action rifle will also come with the magazine and bottom metal. The M700 trigger does not have to be sold, as many of them work beautifully on a hunting rifle. And the gunsmith fee to swap a barrel is generally the same as the fee to install one on a unbarreled action.
Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Reactions: 9.1
OP
C
My only thought is that I'd personally want one in stainless. I'm always paranoid about my blued guns starting to rust and going stainless where I can just gives me one less thing to worry about.
I looked into this. My plan would be to get the barrel and action cerekoted. It's about 150 bucks to have that done.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a 35 Whelen AI on a Tikka t3x with a 24" stainless Mcgowen barrel. Seems to shoot well, but I'm still fire forming brass from standard 35W ammo so no load info yet. Taking the factory barrel off was tricky, but everything went smoothly after we got it loose.

If I did it again I'd do a 20 or 22 inch barrel with a lighter taper, but the added beef does help with recoil.

Attachments

• 20230408_110725.jpg
    20230408_110725.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
C
Well, it's started. I ordered the 700 action from Grabagun. I plan to get a blued barrel and have them both cerakoted. Picking a barrel manufacturer is the next thing on the list. I am leaning towards x-caliber.

chris

gerry35

WKR
Well, it's started. I ordered the 700 action from Grabagun. I plan to get a blued barrel and have them both cerakoted. Picking a barrel manufacturer is the next thing on the list. I am leaning towards x-caliber.

chris
Awesome, hard to go wrong with a Rem 700. I you are going to cerakote anyway you might want to consider a stainless barrel if you are hunting in wet weather a lot. Lot's of good options on barrels just make sure it's at least a 1 in 14 twist or even better a 1 in 12 twist. Lot's of fun to shoot a 35 Whelen, I've used Trail Boss with 158 gr Speer 357 bullets and on the other end gone up to a 275 gr Woodleigh.