35 Whelen build help

I have this itch to build a 35 Whelen over the next two years or so. The caliber is about the only thing that is negotiable. Using a donor rifle, starting from scratch, etc. are all on the table. I have a budget of around $2000 to make it happen. Has anyone done it? The good/the bad???? Should I just start with an new action and build from there? If so, what action?

chris

hiker270

WKR
I don't have the results yet as my rifle is at my gunsmith's. Should be finished shortly. I took a Remington 700 30-06 to have it converted to a 35 Whelen. Its getting a Mcgowen stainless barrel with a 1-12 twist.

OP
C
I don't have the results yet as my rifle is at my gunsmith's. Should be finished shortly. I took a Remington 700 30-06 to have it converted to a 35 Whelen. Its getting a Mcgowen stainless barrel with a 1-12 twist.
I have a Ruger M77 in 30-06 that I just can't bring myself to rebarrel or have it bored out to 35. That would be my simplest solution, but the gun has history and I just can't bring myself to change it.

hiker270

WKR
I have a Ruger M77 in 30-06 that I just can't bring myself to rebarrel or have it bored out to 35. That would be my simplest solution, but the gun has history and I just can't bring myself to change it.
I know what you mean. The Rem. 30-06 was a rifle I took in trade for a trolling motor I took off my bass boat. I had 2 other 30-06 rifles so this one got a new barrel.

Bluefish

WKR
This is my next build. Planning on buying a tikka t3x and then rebarreling. thinking McGowan as they will do a 1:12. Preferred will only do 1:16 and that’s not fast enough. I have one in a break action right now and am waiting for it to come back from the smith after threading. Works well, but would like the ability for faster follow up shots.

gerry35

WKR
I have this itch to build a 35 Whelen over the next two years or so. The caliber is about the only thing that is negotiable. Using a donor rifle, starting from scratch, etc. are all on the table. I have a budget of around $2000 to make it happen. Has anyone done it? The good/the bad???? Should I just start with an new action and build from there? If so, what action?

chris

Mine's built on a LH Rem 700 but you can use anything you want of course. No downsides to going with a 1 in 12 twist, mine's a Benchmark SS #4 and in a McMillan Edge stock. Do you want a detachable magazine? Any favorite kind of action? I will say that Rem 700 and clones, Tikka and Winchester M 70 are easier to find aftermarket parts for your build. Especially the first two.

I had always wanted a Rem 700 KS mountain rifle so mine's kind of built that way with a in improved twist rate and a better stock.

Eleven

FNG
About 25/30 years ago I took a Mauser CZ24 that I got for next to nothing and turned it into a 35 whelan. This was when Midwayusa was selling the A&B short chambered barrels and Fajen wood stocks. I had my smith finsh chambering it, tap it for scope base and turn the bolt handle to clear the scope. Everything else I did myself: fitting to the stock, bedding, finishing metal and wood, etc. It is by far one of my favorite rifles of all time. I’ve taken tons of whitetail and a couple AK moose with it. If you are a reloader this cartridge can be a lot of fun.

May want to consider the improved version as well. This should aid in case life and minimize trimming. @35WhelenAI on here has a ton of experience with the standard and improved versions this cartridge.

I have a .35 in the stainless CVA Scout with 25” barrel and brake. Supremely accurate with mild recoil. Muzzle blast is significant however.

X-Caliber will do a 12-twist Whelen. Based on your budget, I would go with a Remage. Buy or trade for a 700 ADL, get the barrel from X-Caliber, the barrel nut from PVA (or another that does a hex nut), stock from Stocky's, bottom metal from Hawkins, and a Trigger Tech trigger. If you want to spend a little bit more, send the action to Chad at LRI and have them clean it up and get a pinned recoil lug to make putting the new barrel on a bit easier.
I have done a couple of Remage builds now and they are super easy. My 7TCU build came in at right around $1700, including the price of the donor rifle and cerakote. My 260 Rem was a bit more because I went with the Mesa Precision stock.

OP
C
Looking at all the replies, my only real question is where to get an action from. Even getting a donor rifle might not be super easy and I want to make sure I'm not buying some type of problem action.

The rest seems pretty simple. Barrels seem to be a matter of preference and there are plenty of manufactures. Trigger groups are simple. I have it narrowed down to 3 or 4 stocks. An action seems to be my sticking point.

chris

Just do it. 35 Whelen or AI, both are excellent rounds with modern bullets out to 400 yards at sea level (2000 fps, Barnes 200 TTSX) or 500 yards at higher elevation (8000', 2000 fps same bullet) with an mv of 2940 fps.

I've had a 35 AI for 22 years, 14 elk, 3 muleys, 3 whitetails and wouldn't trade the shootability or terminal effect for anything. Lots of experience with it and loading all bullet weights with many powders.

Touchdown88 shared this, and it's what I did. Had it built on an M98 action with a Brownells short chambered Shilen 35 Whelen barrel, 1-14" twist stabilizes even the old Barnes 250 X which is a LONG bullet. I split the cost of the 35 AI reamer from Manson (not much) with the gunsmith and he sure screwed that barrel on straight. Shoots fantastic.

It has a High-Tech Specialties stock (an early Bansner), all up in the field 8 lbs 9 oz with Leupold scope and 5 rounds in the mag, one up the spout with 200 gr TTSX.

OP
C
Just do it. 35 Whelen or AI, both are excellent rounds with modern bullets out to 400 yards at sea level (2000 fps, Barnes 200 TTSX) or 500 yards at higher elevation (8000', 2000 fps same bullet) with an mv of 2940 fps.

I've had a 35 AI for 22 years, 14 elk, 3 muleys, 3 whitetails and wouldn't trade the shootability or terminal effect for anything. Lots of experience with it and loading all bullet weights with many powders.

Touchdown88 shared this, and it's what I did. Had it built on an M98 action with a Brownells short chambered Shilen 35 Whelen barrel, 1-14" twist stabilizes even the old Barnes 250 X which is a LONG bullet. I split the cost of the 35 AI reamer from Manson (not much) with the gunsmith and he sure screwed that barrel on straight. Shoots fantastic.

It has a High-Tech Specialties stock (an early Bansner), all up in the field 8 lbs 9 oz with Leupold scope and 5 rounds in the mag, one up the spout with 200 gr TTSX.
You and I have talked back and forth about this before. Previously, I thought about using my 30-06 Ruger, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. I'm still all in on doing it, but just need to find all the parts now. Where did you get an M98 action?

chris

Spoonbill

WKR
You and I have talked back and forth about this before. Previously, I thought about using my 30-06 Ruger, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. I'm still all in on doing it, but just need to find all the parts now. Where did you get an M98 action?

chris
I bought a Ruger 30-06 new for 500 and had it rebored.
If you want to use a mauser action, simpson ltd has husqvarna mausers in varying quality for sale. Zastava mausers can be found for a decent price, they were imported as Whitworths, Interarms Mark x, Charles Daly and Remington 799? So they are out there.
You could also find a pre 64 model 70 or a m70 classic. Those pop up occasionally for under 1000. If you wanted to save money, you can reuse the stock, so it would just be a rebarrel.

OP
C
Or--- I also went to Shaw barrels and they have a Mark VII that you can build in their gun builder app. I built one up with everything I wanted and it came out to $1870. I personally don't know much about the company or their guns, but it is another option if anyone has input.

Build Image

BUILD SUMMARY​

BARREL: 35 WHELEN ACK (HSP) - (Caliber Size: .358) - (Twist Rate: 1-14) - 23" - Chrome Moly - Helical Fluting - Matte - Sporter
$475.00
RECEIVER: Chrome Moly Matte - Plain Bolt - Right Handed
$530.00
STOCK: H-S Precision Stock
$480.00
EXTRAS: Muzzle Brake - Chrome Molly Matte
    Install Timney Trigger
$175.00
$165.00
SHIPPING:
$45.00

TOTAL: $1,870.00​

chris

gerry35

WKR
Bare with me fellas--- Could I do something like this

https://simpsonltd.com/remington-700-adl-z49028/#gallery-5

Is there any downside to taking the barrel off that action, putting a new one on and buying an aftermarket stock from McMillan?

chris

No downsides I can think of, I did something similar as mentioned earlier. You could part out the barrel if in decent shape and I would replace the scope. You could sell the stock too since it's in great shape or use it as is.