308 for elk / bullet choice

jaym_100

FNG
I didn't get my build finished in time so I'm going to borrow a sig cross for my hunt this year since its really light. Any particular bullets recommended on a 308 with a 16 inch barrel? Shots should all be within 300 yards.

Whatever suitable bullet you can get and put in the right place.

Ballistic tips, interlocks, hot cores, Scenars, Barnes, ABs, Core locks…whatever. I think that’s all the .30 cals I’ve seen/been with on elk. Take your pic at those ranges. Most have been on the heavy side, but at that velocity I don’t see it making much difference.

use search for 308, elk, and bullet and you will get numerous threads like the ones below with lots of info on the topic

150/165 Partition or Accubond would be my choice.

180 gr anything will work.

This. Ballistic Tips are fine too, at least in 165 grains and up. I've put four of the 168 BTs into elk at <50 yards out of a 300 SAUM with no failures.

My wife tagged a grizzly this fall with her 16” barrel 308 win shooting 168 eldms at just under 2800 fps and it worked as advertised.

Attachments

• 031B0BB0-85DA-4B36-A27B-6E2220834A3C.jpeg
    031B0BB0-85DA-4B36-A27B-6E2220834A3C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 36C3FA7D-67DC-4AB2-BB3B-7DC9AF14F9B8.jpeg
    36C3FA7D-67DC-4AB2-BB3B-7DC9AF14F9B8.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 124
Try the 175 gr terminal ascents. My kimber cut to 16" with an ultra 7 still pushes these in the factory loading to 2500fps. There are plenty of videos showing their expansion capacity at very modest velocities. Also the BC is great. So far I've only shot deer with them but I'd kill anything in north america with that rifle.

Try the 175 gr terminal ascents. My kimber cut to 16" with an ultra 7 still pushes these in the factory loading to 2500fps. There are plenty of videos showing their expansion capacity at very modest velocities. Also the BC is great. So far I've only shot deer with them but I'd kill anything in north america with that rifle.
I agree, if you want a tough bullet that still creates some damage it’s a good bullet, but in his situation I’d probably opt for the ELDM, don’t think you can go wrong either way

The terminal ascent kind of reminds me of an accubond that upsets better and is more jagged (doesn’t make those nice smooth mushrooms like accubond) I have a few hundred rounds of TA for my 308, I do like that bullet

1698012735081.jpeg
This is an example of the published low velocity expansion data on the Terminal ascent. It wouldn’t be my first choice for a 16” 308. Your mileage may vary.

I agree, if you want a tough bullet that still creates some damage it’s a good bullet, but in his situation I’d probably opt for the ELDM, don’t think you can go wrong either way

The terminal ascent kind of reminds me of an accubond that upsets better and is more jagged (doesn’t make those nice smooth mushrooms like accubond) I have a few hundred rounds of TA for my 308, I do like that bullet
I have tried the eld-s, i do not enjoy the fragmentation of eld bullets and typically hunt with monos or bonded bullets as a result.

Go watch some you tube videos on gelatin with reduced loads, it’ll change your mind I think.
What is your expected max range/minimum velocity with a 16” 308 on these bullets where you’d expect them to perform appropriately?

Back