308 for elk / bullet choice

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, care to share the load you are using to get that velocity?
308 lapua brass, fed 210s, COAL at 2.800” as I’m mag box limited in that rifle. Powder is a healthy dose of 2000-MR. Start at around 48 grains and work up to find pressure from there.

Reactions: BLJ

rcook10

WKR
What is your expected max range/minimum velocity with a 16” 308 on these bullets where you’d expect them to perform appropriately?
You posted the 200 grain bullet for the PRC/300wsm/300win, the 175 is quite a bit softer. I would happily kill something out to 500 or more and expect good expansion. My two does were shot at under 100 so no real challenge there. However, the rifle has been loaned for 1 white tail at 200 yards which was shot through both shoulders 3" up from the ball leaving a 2.5" exit and a mule deer at 380 yards through both lungs clipping a rib on the way in and punching a 2" exit on the far side, neither caught the bullet and both died within 50 yards of where they were shot. The fact that there was very good expansion on medium game without major bone at 380 yards is plenty of proof for me that an elk would initiate expansion with out difficulty. At my typical density altitude I have over 1800fps and 1300ftlbs at 500 yards which is perfectly capable of killing an elk.

See attached for a 175 shot into milk jugs at a muzzle velocity of 2650 out to 500yards at 1800ft elevation.
IMG_4153.jpg
Second see a reduced load fired directly into gelatin at 1800fps: 27" of penetration, 18" permanent cavity, with great frontal area. ta.png

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
What was the wound channel and shot placement on the brown bear?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What was the wound channel and shot placement on the brown bear?
She went behind the front shoulder. Didn’t really inspect the wound channel. Just skinned it out and packed it out. Just doing our part for predator control.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
She went behind the front shoulder. Didn’t really inspect the wound channel. Just skinned it out and packed it out. Just doing our part for predator control.
Thanks. Was there an exit? Trying to figure out how my 308 would compare to other rifles I've used.

bbdram4u

FNG
I'm going hunting for ELK and I'm going to use my .308. I reload my own ammo. I've been in dire search for a great bullet and powder combination. Is there anyone out there that has one? 22in Barrel. My guess is out to 500yrds?

I shot the bull in my profile pic at roughly 80 yards with 175 TA out of my Ruger American with 22" barrel. Entry was top left lung and exit was below midline on far lung. The bullet wasn't recovered. The elk dropped to his front knees on impact, stood back up, turned around, and walked about 50 yards before falling over.

bbdram4u

FNG
I shot the bull in my profile pic at roughly 80 yards with 175 TA out of my Ruger American with 22" barrel. Entry was top left lung and exit was below midline on far lung. The bullet wasn't recovered. The elk dropped to his front knees on impact, stood back up, turned around, and walked about 50 yards before falling over.
Great thank you. I am sort of leaning towards the 165gr accubond with 46gr varget.

bbdram4u

FNG
Hard to argue with that load out of a 308! About to start some development with the 150s!
I use Hornady brass. My buddy shoots a 45 70 and he swears by starline brass. Never had issues from it. Have you ever used that?

rcook10

WKR
I use Hornady brass. My buddy shoots a 45 70 and he swears by starline brass. Never had issues from it. Have you ever used that?
The brass is pretty unimportant if you prep it well. Some brands like lapua have better metallurgy so you can eek more performance or reloads out before pockets go out. Some of the best shooting loads I have developed have been in hornady brass which is regarded poorly by most shooters.

bbdram4u

FNG
Wow
. I've never had issues with Hornady. I have some Hornady I'm on the 8th reload. Not sure but want to say my 7-08

The brass is pretty unimportant if you prep it well. Some brands like lapua have better metallurgy so you can eek more performance or reloads out before pockets go out. Some of the best shooting loads I have developed have been in hornady brass which is regarded poorly by most shooters.

I'm a Hornady brass fan, although I also have Lapua and Alpha Munitions brass as well.

Hornady brass is more than sufficient for hand loading hunting ammo and recreational long distance steel. I have multiple reloads on my Hornady brass. I do have access to an AMP annealer which helps.