308 ammo for elk. TTSX ok under 300 yards?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I like peddles for sure! I can’t understand why those ones made in Montana are designed to brake off and pencil though at caliber size.

Because it increases the wound width. The only thing a mono does better when it stays together, is look better for a picture.

and why design a bullet that requires a custom barrel twist To stabilize?

Because monos are compromised. They have low BC already for length, and the only way to increase it is to increase length.

Macintosh

WKR
form, my apologies, I can't type in sarcasm! When I referred to "failure to expand images" I was referring to the earlier images posted that you indicated were sheared petals--I put that in quotes because those photos were posted with the assertion that they had failed to expand. It sounds like my understanding of what you said is accurate if you lose my sarcasm and change it to bullets with sheared petals are about as lethal as mushroomed bullets with intact petals...which means now the issue is actual failures to expand.

Earlier you mentioned that mono bullets have the highest incidence of failures to expand of any bullet type. Just how common are actual failures to expand above a threshold velocity (2300 or 2200fps)? You mentioned you had seen a dozen or so bullets from testing and game with sheared petals...can you comment on what % fail to expand above a reasonable threshold velocity?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
form, my apologies, I can't type in sarcasm! When I referred to "failure to expand images" I was referring to the earlier images posted that you indicated were sheared petals--I put that in quotes because those photos were posted with the assertion that they had failed to expand. It sounds like my understanding of what you said is accurate if you lose my sarcasm and change it to bullets with sheared petals are about as lethal as mushroomed bullets with intact petals...which means now the issue is actual failures to expand.

Correct.

Earlier you mentioned that mono bullets have the highest incidence of failures to expand of any bullet type. Just how common are actual failures to expand above a threshold velocity (2300 or 2200fps)? You mentioned you had seen a dozen or so bullets from testing and game with sheared petals...can you comment on what % fail to expand above a reasonable threshold velocity?

Depending on which bullet specifically and what they hit inside an animal. I will say that almost no one would be happy with what they saw for expansion from monos at 8-12” of penetration below 2,400’ish FPS impact, I.E.- exiting the lungs of a deer or elk.

As for true failures to expand beyond caliber diameter…. Quite a few are as high as 10-20% below 2,400’ish FPS.

The .308 win is a marginal caliber for most available copper bullet weights. Run those coppers at faster speeds and they kill with authority. Since jumping up from the .30-06 to the 300 win, shooting mostly 165 TTSX (3150fps) and 150s when I can find them, Ive killed 10 muley bucks, 4 bulls, 3 cows, 4 lopers and a barbary sheep from 30-420 yds and Ive not had any tracking jobs or an unrecovered animal. The lrx 129gr from the 270 (3050fps) is on a similarly effective path and has been 3/3 on muley bucks.

Last edited:
The only thing I use Barnes for is loading for my buddies 7 mm RM.

Personally, I think they do just an ok job and are overrated. I much prefer cup and core bullets for Std. cartridges or something bonded but soft like an AB.

I use mostly plain old cup and core Speers and they kill chit dead without issues. Deer, goat, hogs, black bear, and moose all DRT with my Speers.

Just my 2 cents and based Soley on what I have personally killed and loading for friends....

View attachment 468113
TTSX 168 gr .308 on Elk. 180 yards. I will go back to lead.

I've had this happen to me a few times with Barnes, I've also had them pencil through..............

See my previous post as this have been my experience as well.

Did the animals die....... yes, they did. Not to my liking however.

Speed is what dictates how well the mono's work....said in numerous posts already.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m confused here- Short Tracks photo shows two TTSX’s with their petals sheared off. Why are y’all saying they didn’t expand?
I am noticing now that I previously only quickly glanced at that photo short track posted. That is absolutely not showing a failure to expand. It is actually showing the exact opposite. And there’s nothing wrong with that bullet performance. The petals sheared off, and that’s not a bad thing. You just encountered a tough critter.

SDHNTR

WKR
I've had this happen to me a few times with Barnes, I've also had them pencil through..............

See my previous post as this have been my experience as well.

Did the animals die....... yes, they did. Not to my liking however.

Speed is what dictates how well the mono's work....said in numerous posts already.
That is not penciling through.

BjornF16

WKR
I am noticing now that I previously only quickly glanced at that photo short track posted. That is absolutely not showing a failure to expand. It is actually showing the exact opposite. And there’s nothing wrong with that bullet performance. The petals sheared off, and that’s not a bad thing. You just encountered a tough critter.
I’m guilty of same…and was more relying on description

Carry on