308 ammo for elk. TTSX ok under 300 yards?

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, I am not a long distance shooter, so I think about the furthest shot i would ever take would be 300 yards. And this question is specifically for ELK.

I shoot a Bergara 308, and last year I ran TTSX 165 and killed a mule deer buck at 230 and it took drop like a sac of sand. I've read quite a bit about the endless debates around copper vs bonded lead, etc. Seems that the bonded bullets excel at longer ranges, but if I'm not going to be shooting over 300, will the Barnes TTSX be ok for ELK or should I consider a bonder core lead bullet? If a bonded bullet, what recommendations do you have for the old .308?

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed a bunch of elk with a 308 and 168 ttsx, the farthest was a bit past 300, you won't have any problem.
Do you have an opinion on the TTSX vs TSX. Federal carries the TSX in 168. Seems to be tough finding the actual Barnes ammo!
I've killed a bunch of elk with a 308 and 168 ttsx, the farthest was a bit past 300, you won't have any proble

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have an opinion on the TTSX vs TSX. Federal carries the TSX in 168. Seems to be tough finding the actual Barnes ammo!
Like @SDHNTR said I prefer the TTSX vs the TSX but I've used the TSX on elk with zero problem. I plan on trying out the 150 TTSX just because the 308 pushes them faster, I just need to find some.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Like @SDHNTR said I prefer the TTSX vs the TSX but I've used the TSX on elk with zero problem. I plan on trying out the 150 TTSX just because the 308 pushes them faster, I just need to find some.
Yeah they are hard to find. What caliber are you shooting? Federal makes both the 150 and 165 TSX in 308, but the 150 not available

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah they are hard to find. What caliber are you shooting? Federal makes both the 150 and 165 TSX in 308, but the 150 not available
I shoot a 308 win. I found the 150's a couple months ago at SW but didn't buy them like a dummy and haven't seen them since. I have plenty of 168's though so I'm not in much of a hurry.

200 yards, .308 I have to post a picture of the skinned ELK.
I had better performance with 6.5 accubonds on Moose, & 7mm partitions.
I only went to .308 because I was Elk hunting.

Velocity at 300 yards is dropping too close to my personal comfort level with a 308 and Barnes bullets.

I personally would be much more comfortable with a Nosler Accubond or Partition, Speer Gold Dot or possibly even a Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BjornF16

WKR
If you insist upon Barnes, I'd go either 150 TTSX for the additional velocity; or 168 TTSX since it is a bit softer than the 165 TTSX and should open up better.

I'd pick 168 or 175 TMK or an ELD-M over Barnes personally...

Interesting meat eater video "copper vs lead ". They shot copper ,bonded lead, and cup /core bullets at various distances into ballistic gel some with scapula in it . Good watch. To me it looked the bonded was the way go all around . Not sure if someone can find and post

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t think anyone has mentioned…. you can’t shoot copper like cup/core lead. Shoot them into the shoulders, not behind. If people did that consistently, these threads wouldn’t exist. The bullets aren’t the problem here.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned…. you can’t shoot copper like cup/core lead. Shoot them into the shoulders, not behind. If people did that consistently, these threads wouldn’t exist. The bullets aren’t the problem here.

There’s no getting around the fact that a solid copper bullet is harder than a cup/core bullet. They thrive on higher velocity and that always needs to be taken into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Great information. I want to buy a 308 for my next gun and most likely will be using federal premium Barnes TTSX.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
High shoulder shots on my last four animals with .243 Barnes TTSX and all of them dropped in their tracks. Include a big bear.