308 0r 6.5 CM?

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
There’s no replacement for displacement. Therefore, I’d go .308. If hunting elk, go .308. If shooting at the range, go smaller. That’s been my experience. I enjoy shooting the smaller caliber. However, the 30 calibers just seem to do a better job consistently on game.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at buying a 308 or 6.5 in the Bergara Ridge Wilderness Hunter. I will be using it mostly for practice but will also be taking it on an antelope hunt or two, a mule deer hunt (possibly combined with the antelope hunt), and whitetail hunts. I would also like to use this rifle as a backup to my 300 WSM for elk trips out west. Being that I may use it for elk at some point, I am leaning towards the 308 as I like the availability of heavier bullets for the 308. I ordered the scope already (Vortex Razor LHT).

Any thoughts here?

Thank You!!
From your description of your desires the 6.5 makes a bit more sense to me. While the .308, to me, has pretty mild recoil it is slightly more than the Creedmoor. For practicing and building confidence less recoil is always a plus and it will serve for your hunting plans.
If hunting and elk was its primary goal I'd go .308, mostly because of my personal history with it for game up to and including moose.