300wsm vs 7prc vs 7rem mag?

Mosby

WKR
When comparing calibers, I would consider availability of components and ammo. Which one can you find brass for easily? Can you find H1000 or RL 25 to reload for the PRC? Powder for a 7 mag might be easier to find. Can you find loaded ammo on a shelf at a local store if you needed it? IMO availability of powder, brass and ammo is becoming an important issue when deciding what caliber to buy...not just ballistics. They'll all kill big game. YMMV.

lemonhead

FNG
Can I get some advice, in my area 7 Mag rifles as well as ammo are substantially cheaper than 7prc. I don't reload so just looking for factory options here. For those that have more experience is the increased price of 7 prc worth it? I'm looking for an elk gun, but would probably become more of an all around big game gun, elk, deer, pronghorn, and sheep

Logan1080

FNG
With plans to reload, a buddy and I both recently opted out of the 7 PRC and went for 300 WSM’s. He went with a Tilkka T3X. This is my second rifle in the calibre. The 30 cal bullet selection, short action, 300 win mag performance, it’s an awesome choice and I feel like it’s gaining popularity again. I bought a like new Sako 85 Finnlight with a 1-11” twist 24” barrel and I’m going to load up some Barnes 165gr TTSX bullets in brand new Hornady brass. I expect it to achieve 3000fps or better. 9.6 pounds with scope and bipod. Very excited about this package for my next Elk hunt. In my opinion, marketing of other calibres decreased the popularity of the 300 wsm for really no reason, it is a great cartridge all around. I traded a 6.5 PRC off on this rifle.

With plans to reload, a buddy and I both recently opted out of the 7 PRC and went for 300 WSM’s. He went with a Tilkka T3X. This is my second rifle in the calibre. The 30 cal bullet selection, short action, 300 win mag performance, it’s an awesome choice and I feel like it’s gaining popularity again. I bought a like new Sako 85 Finnlight with a 1-11” twist 24” barrel and I’m going to load up some Barnes 165gr TTSX bullets in brand new Hornady brass. I expect it to achieve 3000fps or better. 9.6 pounds with scope and bipod. Very excited about this package for my next Elk hunt. In my opinion, marketing of other calibres decreased the popularity of the 300 wsm for really no reason, it is a great cartridge all around. I traded a 6.5 PRC off on this rifle.
In a long enough action with the right twist, the 300 WSM can still hang right with more recent offerings. I've owned 4 through the years. Few years ago I had a Tikka with 1:10. It loved the Hornady 212's. Sold it to a buddy who loved it and has put it to a lot of good use.

I wouldn't be as warm and fuzzy about a standard short action length 300 WSM as I would be about a 7PRC. I did have an A bolt 300 WSM 1:11 that did well with several 200 grn bullets at standard length, so not at all saying that it's not useful at standard length, just that it's not all it could be; whereas, the 7PRC connects all the dots right out of the gate.

Can I get some advice, in my area 7 Mag rifles as well as ammo are substantially cheaper than 7prc. I don't reload so just looking for factory options here. For those that have more experience is the increased price of 7 prc worth it? I'm looking for an elk gun, but would probably become more of an all around big game gun, elk, deer, pronghorn, and sheep
Really comes down to planned target distances and, by extension, how important higher BC offerings are going to be. Out to 400, a 7mm RM with cheap ammo will get the job done just the same. Out further, the higher BC offerings of the 7PRC are going to offer more utility. Likewise, higher tier loaded ammo for each cartridge is going to be similarly priced. There's just not as many core loct, power point, blue box federal, etc loads available for the PRC at this time.