300wsm vs 7prc vs 7rem mag?

7PRC in a Tikka by a mile. Nothing wrong with a 7mm RM, and its not worth replacing one if its in a platform that's well liked, but think of the PRC as an updated version. And if you're starting anew, why not get the most updated version of something?

Savages are OK. I've owned 10 or so through the years. Have taken a lot of game with them and shot thousands of rounds through them. Being a lefty, they were always widely available and easy enough to find aftermarket stocks and barrels for. Still have 3. They're a decent action, but they just aren't in the same league as Tikkas.

Things I like better about Tikka vs Savage:

Lower Bolt throw angle - faster cycling, more options for low mounting scopes without concern for bolt hitting the ocular housing.

Much smoother action - contributes to faster cycling.

Closed top action - Stronger and contributes to more reliable feeding/ejecting.

Better extractor and ejector design. Enables more reliable feeding/extracting.

Integral rail on the Tikka

Better trigger, both in use and in design. More drop safe. Better for inclement weather and sand/dust.

Better assortment of aftermarket stocks and bottom metals.

Wide availability of pre shouldered barrels - no need for barrel nuts.

High quality OEM actions and barrels - while the Savages generally group tight out of the box, they are known to have rough maching and barrels that are notoriously easily fouled. Many Tikkas hardly get fouled at all, even after thousands of rounds.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I understand the tikka is a “better rifle” but it’s also over 2x the cost to get a 7prc and maybe I got a bad one but I didn’t see 2x the rifle in that 243 tikka I had. Any bets how long it will take people like mdt to make a long action Ruger American chassis or stock?

jimh406

WKR
What distance are you calling long range?

I'd decide on the caliber first. 30-378 is the fastest but also the heaviest kicking by far. I don't know why you are limiting yourself to just those calibers. A 30 caliber with equivalent trajectory will have more kick since it will be shooting a heavier bullet.

I'd consider the 30-378 if you can handle the kick, and you can shoot it well.

However, I'd also consider a threaded barrel to allow for a future suppressor/brake.

If you want to change the chassis or stock so bad. Buy a bergara barreled action and whatever rem700 stock you want

No one is going to be making aftermarket stocks for the 400-600 dollar guns. Most people buying those guns aren't looking to spend another 3-400 on a different stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdP

Apollo117

WKR
I understand the tikka is a “better rifle” but it’s also over 2x the cost to get a 7prc and maybe I got a bad one but I didn’t see 2x the rifle in that 243 tikka I had. Any bets how long it will take people like mdt to make a long action Ruger American chassis or stock?
Tikka has a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. Savage does not. Even if you are unlucky enough to get an inaccurate Tikka, you can send it back to Tikka, and they will fix it until it shoots at least 1 MOA.

I've shot a couple dozen Savage rifles in the last 20 years. The Savages that shoot are absolute tack drivers. However, almost every Savage I have touched has feeding issues. And best of luck to anyone who wants a lightweight aftermarket stock for a Savage. Tikka wins hands down for lightweight stock availability.

I bought my first Tikka about 10 years ago and haven't bought another Savage since. Tikkas are about as Easy Button as it gets.

Lastly, I would avoid that 30-378 like the plague. Skip the Ruger American too.

jimh406

WKR
I've never owned a Tikka. Frankly, I don't know anyone who has one. I've heard than cycle really smoothly, but unless you miss a lot, that doesn't seem to be a reason to buy one for hunting.

But, I've never had a friend/acquaintance that has had an issue with a Savage. I think there is a reason why they've existed over 100 years. Note: it's not because they have great marketing.

There are people who can break anything, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that any brand could have an issue. That being said, it seems like Howa has the best value for good quality with good triggers. Nope, I don't own one or know anyone who has one,

IME, the Tikka would be a better value at 3x the cost. They are an absolute bargain at current going rate; if they were custom barreled actions, people would gladly pay much more for them.

I'll admit that I was late to the party with Tikkas. I spent a lot of money on 700's and clones, figuring that the Tikkas couldn't be that great for what they're getting for them. But after owning a few for some years now, it's clear to see that they are a better mousetrap. If you want empirical data to support how reliable Tikkas are, research the Canadian Ranger Rifle evaluation process.

Last edited:

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’d wait for a Tikka 7PRC. I’m going down the 300WSM path because I have a Terminus Zeus SA QC action. The Tikka 7PRC is definitely the easy button.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
It's your money, spend it how you want. I would go 7 PRC if it were me.

Nothing wrong with Savage. Been looking at one in 300 win mag myself...

Oh! AND MDT makes a long action savage chassis already...the oryx, XRS, and LSS-XL Gen2

Black friday on the Oryx was around $280 I think...

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
6.8 Western or 7 prc of the new rounds. Both set up right and easy button. 6.8W is short action and had a bit less recoil. 7prc long action with a bit more horsepower. I prefer the 6.8W as plenty of performance and don’t want more recoil. If ammo availabilty is a concern 7rm is tough to beat

Lou

Last edited:
OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Minus the belt and little more efficient case design is there really any difference when comparing a 7prc to 7mm rem mag with 1-8 in something like an xbolt or new rem 700? Or will they be bout even when loaded with something in the 180gr class.

Minus the belt and little more efficient case design is there really any difference when comparing a 7prc to 7mm rem mag with 1-8 in something like an xbolt or new rem 700? Or will they be bout even when loaded with something in the 180gr class.
The 7mm RM technically has more powder capacity than a 7PRC, and, by extension, would yield slightly higher velocities, all else being equal. However, the ability to squeeze more out of a 7mm RM with higher BC bullets largely depends on mag box coal and throat configuration. If constrained to 3.34, then a longer, heavier, higher BC bullet will necessarily have to protrude into the powder space, thereby bringing the performance of the two exceedingly close. Likewise with a chamber that isnt cut to allow for longer COAL.

Overall, not a ton of performance difference between the two. Certainly not enough to replace a current 7mm RM that is well liked. If starting new, then go 7PRC because it is an updated design.

One major area of difference is availability of OEM ammo. AFAIK, there isn't too many commercially loaded, high BC 175-180gr loads availability in 7mm RM, whereas they are available for the 7PRC. That being stated, the 162 ELD-x has a relatively high BC, shoots well out of several 7mm RM's I tried them in, and has proven to be a great performer on game.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have real world experience with the new Remington 700s? Minus not being threaded the Long Range model checks a lot of boxes and comes with a 1-8 twist on the rem mag? Only thing would be trigger swap and have barrel threaded.

B23

WKR
Looks like Lapua is going to start making 300WSM brass...
I was just reading about that. Hmm, wonder if there's any chance they'll make SAUM brass too....

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar quandary a few months back. I have a Winchester XPR camo FDE that shoots 162gr ELD-X under an inat 100 yards. I just had to have a 6.8 Western, so I bought it in the same rifle.

At the end of the day, the 7mm and the 6.8 did almost exacltly the same things. I sold the 6.8 and keep my 7mm.

I would say, if you are buying it for any other reason than just wanting it, it's a pretty unnecessary purchase and your 7 REM MAG will do most everything the PRC will do, at ethical hunting distances.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar quandary a few months back. I have a Winchester XPR camo FDE that shoots 162gr ELD-X under an inat 100 yards. I just had to have a 6.8 Western, so I bought it in the same rifle.

At the end of the day, the 7mm and the 6.8 did almost exacltly the same things. I sold the 6.8 and keep my 7mm.

I would say, if you are buying it for any other reason than just wanting it, it's a pretty unnecessary purchase and your 7 REM MAG will do most everything the PRC will do, at ethical hunting distances.
My big thing is wanting a heavier more stable rifle for farther shots as well as a faster twist for heavier higher bcs rounds. My NULA Colt has a 1-10 so I'm fairly limited. I'm thinking that rifle will get rebarreled to something smaller as well one of these days