300 WSM or 300 PRC build ideas

They were highly regarded by Travis at TS Custom. At this point I'll likely finish this 300 prc build and then maybe next year look into a 20" sa or ma build.

Yeah…. I’m really wanting a SA or MA in 7mm. My wife has a custom 7 WSM but factory ammo is non existent as well as decent brass. At some point I’ll probably spin up a 6.5 prc barrel and let her hammer down on anything within 700 yards.

I built a 300 prc on a defiance anti x to cut weight. It a 9.7 pound rifle with nx8 4-32 and 26” barrel. A touch on the heavy side but will flat out shoot. It’s just over 1/4 moa and I’m shooting virgin brass and I haven’t even tried fine tuning loads. Barrel only has about 80 rounds through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Maybe I missed it but what distances are you going to be shooting at realistically? A 20" 300WSM will kill Moose and Grizz just as dead as a PRC at the distances 99.9% of those animals are shot at. To that point the 300win mag will do it just the same. As someone else mentioned you are splitting hairs for again 99.9% of situations. For the most part "updated" is a marketing term anyways and a dead animal is a dead animal.

If I was building a custom gun I would go with something "completely" different caliber wise, especially since you have the 30cal covered. Go lighter recoil and light gun.

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
Maybe I missed it but what distances are you going to be shooting at realistically? A 20" 300WSM will kill Moose and Grizz just as dead as a PRC at the distances 99.9% of those animals are shot at. To that point the 300win mag will do it just the same. As someone else mentioned you are splitting hairs for again 99.9% of situations. For the most part "updated" is a marketing term anyways and a dead animal is a dead animal.

If I was building a custom gun I would go with something "completely" different caliber wise, especially since you have the 30cal covered. Go lighter recoil and light gun.
I've settled on building this 300 PRC for now and then next year builder a shorter, lighter caliber set up. My current win mag and other Remington 700's will likely be sold.

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
Well I was able to score a nib Atlas NBK magnum action from the forum on here. So here's the 300 PRC build so far.

Atlas NBK LA Mag
Manners Pro Hunter
Manners Mini Chasis
TS Customs Benchmark CF 24" Pre fit
TS Customs Ti Ghost brake
Hawkins Hunter DBM
Hawkins Hunter Magazine

Trigger and glass still up in the air.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
The 300 WSM is solid but I'd go no less than a 22" barrel. Since you have a 300 WM, I'd go with a 7mm PRC, hard to beat and versatile.

If you are planning to go with a Manners stock, it will be next year before you see it. McMillan is about 60 days out from order date.

You can go the DIY route as I and buy the parts and assemble yourself, pretty easy.

My 7mm PRC

dJEy88D.jpg

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
The 300 WSM is solid but I'd go no less than a 22" barrel. Since you have a 300 WM, I'd go with a 7mm PRC, hard to beat and versatile.

If you are planning to go with a Manners stock, it will be next year before you see it. McMillan is about 60 days out from order date.

You can go the DIY route as I and buy the parts and assemble yourself, pretty easy.

My 7mm PR
So far this is where I'm at on the build:

Manners Pro Hunter stock with mini chasis ordered from Altus
Hawkins Hunter Bottom metal free when I bought the stock
Impact NBK Mag action NIB bought on here
Benchmark 24" 300 PRC CF barrel cut by TS Customs when he had a sale
TS Customs TI Ghost brake

Still undecided on trigger but between the Triggertech or Bix n Andy and for optics I'm leaning towards Nightforce Atacr 5-25. What all tools would I need for assembly? I don't have a gun vice or action wrench.

I started this whole project with a Rem 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag I was going to use as a donor for the action but after reading on the forums I ended up going the custom action route. At some point I'd like to bolt the Manners stock to it just to see how it will shoot since its light, handy, plenty of gun for whitetail without being overkill.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.JPG
    IMG_7330.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 5
So far this is where I'm at on the build:

Manners Pro Hunter stock with mini chasis ordered from Altus
Hawkins Hunter Bottom metal free when I bought the stock
Impact NBK Mag action NIB bought on here
Benchmark 24" 300 PRC CF barrel cut by TS Customs when he had a sale
TS Customs TI Ghost brake

Still undecided on trigger but between the Triggertech or Bix n Andy and for optics I'm leaning towards Nightforce Atacr 5-25. What all tools would I need for assembly? I don't have a gun vice or action wrench.

I started this whole project with a Rem 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag I was going to use as a donor for the action but after reading on the forums I ended up going the custom action route. At some point I'd like to bolt the Manners stock to it just to see how it will shoot since its light, handy, plenty of gun for whitetail without being overkill.

Where are you located? I’d take it to a smith. Embedding the stock makes a difference and you gotta know what you’re doing. Especially when you put bolt lugs in the stock.

My smith makes his own bc he doesn’t like the ones that usually come with custom actions. He fore sure didn’t like the ones that defiance sends.

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
Where are you located? I’d take it to a smith. Embedding the stock makes a difference and you gotta know what you’re doing. Especially when you put bolt lugs in the stock.

My smith makes his own bc he doesn’t like the ones that usually come with custom actions. He fore sure didn’t like the ones that defiance sends.

From what I understand with the mini chasis system is that it doesn't need to be bedded but I could be wrong as I've read a ton since starting this project.

From what I understand with the mini chasis system is that it doesn't need to be bedded but I could be wrong as I've read a ton since starting this project.

With a chassis no. I don’t think so. I’m not familiar with your stock. You will need a wrench for your barrel. And you’ll need torque wrenches to tighten to spec. Too much or too little and you’ll hate life.