300 WSM or 300 PRC build ideas

20” 300 wsm all the way but I’m a bit biased. You should be able to get a 200 gr bullet running at least 2850 fps MV. That’s > 2000 fps to 600 yards - what more?

With that said, if you have already have a 300 WM, why not build a 6.5 PRC? I don’t see appreciable difference between the 300 WM, WSM, and PRC.

You make a valid point with the 6.5 prc. Especially 600 and in. It’s a super accurate and capable round. Eventually I’ll build one. But I also have a kid on the way. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
I like my 20 inch barreled 308 and 7mm-08 BLRs also. Kill stuff on out there while you play cowboy!
For around here a .308 is hard to beat and my go to.
200 plus grain in 30 cal tends to have higher BC’s and buck the wind better. Plus, they deliver some serious payload. lol

That being said, the 195 Berger’s for 7mm are legit.

c152ecd4fca00727ea886774ad47db0a.jpg

Yeah that's hard to deny I'm just think 300 prc to run 245gr. The 7 PRC no doubt is best all around and if I found the right deal on a barrel would be a qualifier. At this point I think I should spend more on a high quality action that allows me to swap barrels.

For around here a .308 is hard to beat and my go to.

Yeah that's hard to deny I'm just think 300 prc to run 245gr. The 7 PRC no doubt is best all around and if I found the right deal on a barrel would be a qualifier. At this point I think I should spend more on a high quality action that allows me to swap barrels.
go defiance.

buy once, cry once!

that being said, my wifes 7 wsm is built on a surgeon action and its been great too.

LightFoot

WKR
The 300 WSM with a 20” barrel can be comfortable with a brake or suppressor. You can find ammo pretty consistently now, though not like the 300 PRC that has flooded the market.

I had good luck with Barnes bullets loaded by federal in my 300 WSM but I would be happy with a 180+ partition, Accubond, or Berger. The 200 ELD-X is a really good option for factory 300 WSM loads.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the short barreled 300 WSM for anything in NA, including big bears.

No need to go for the 300 PRC unless you’re wanting to reload or stick with Hornady’s factory options… for now, anyway.

You won’t be wrong with either… or both.

>>>——JAKE——>

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Also, I'm sure I could probably push it faster than 2700, just haven't tried to find out where pressure signs start.

Legend

WKR
Just starting a build for our Montana rifle hunt this year and am torn between building either a 300 wsm or a 300 prc. I currently own a 300 win mag but since I'm building new I'd like go with an updated cartridge. In a perfect world I could build both with the WSM being a shooter barrel, lighter option meant for closer shots and the PRC being for longer distance or if eventually targeting Moose/Grizzly. Would a 20" barrel be too short for the WSM? For the PRC I plan on running a 24" so would be nice to have them for different applications. Anyone with experience with the 300 wsm give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
If you go with a short action in 300wsm you need to consider coal. Everyone who runs the big bullets is hamstringing the cartridge because the bullet has to be seated deep. And this means you loose powder volume.

To fully use the 300wsm you are better off with a medium action. Or at a minimum, which is what I did, a modified bottom end to get the COAL out there a bit further.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
My McGowen barrel and Tikka action allows me to seat out past 3.2" COAL. Not sure what factory Tikka 300wsm would allow. I want to say a factory 300wsm short action mag is only set up for about 2.95" COAL or something like that.

If you go with a short action in 300wsm you need to consider coal. Everyone who runs the big bullets is hamstringing the cartridge because the bullet has to be seated deep. And this means you loose powder volume.

To fully use the 300wsm you are better off with a medium action. Or at a minimum, which is what I did, a modified bottom end to get the COAL out there a bit further.

Facts!

If I were to ever build a 7 saum, medium action is the way!

However, it’s another one of those one offs that is hard to find components for or factory ammo. Why can’t we get a medium action 7mm that is popular like the 6.5 prc???

I already have a long action and short action. Life isn’t complete without all 3!