300 WSM Future

I am trying to stay away from a brake just due to the loudness of it. If I do anything to it, I would put a suppressor on it but I am hesitant to spend the money on a rifle that I may not be able to get more ammo for. I have used the Nosler 180 grain Accubond on both deer and elk. All one shot kills. Unfortunately, it is almost $100 per box.
Have you upgraded the recoil pad?
I put a Limbsaver on my 300wsm Tikka and was astonished at how much difference it made; especially at the range. I never would have believed it could make the rifle so much more tolerable but it has for me.

I replaced the factory stock with a Bell and Carlson stock due to the fact I needed a longer LOP. It came with a Pachmayr stock which is supposed to help with reduced felt recoil as well. I may check out the Limbsaver though just to see if it helps. I appreciate your suggestion.

Is the 300 WSM a bad choice for someone who doesn’t hand load? Ammo availability seems horrible on ammoseek but I’m not sure if it’s just late to bounce back post pandemic crunch, or if it’s going away.
Buy the 300 WSM and never look back.

I assure you!

Absolutely positively the best all around caliber ever made.
IMO...

I've hit 3200 fps with 180 gr bullets with no pressure signs.
I've also put 5 rounds covered by a nickel.

Factory ammo can be found... hell I'll load you some up

If I didn't reload and I needed a new 30cal "magnum" it wouldn't be a wsm....I own one and love it but there is little to no support in the ammo department anymore.

30cal seems to be getting less and less love nowadays tbh...seems the .284 and under bullets are getting all the attention and I can't disagree. We used to use nothing but 300wm or wsm for moose and now all we use is a 7mm-08.

I will be putting it to the test on a big brown bear this year to see if it's exceptable for all big game in AK this year.

I'm glad this discussion is going. I needed a 30cal magnum for my Terminus QC Short Action to hopefully shoot elk one day. I did order a 20" Proof barrel being cut by Straight Jacket Armory. I'm hoping to get 200 ELDX rounds going 2,850+fps by reloading them with H4350. I'm going to load them to an 2.9in COAL in MDT SA Mag Magazines. I am concerned that I can't find any factory ammo just in case I need some in a pinch. I do think this a caliber that will stick around in the "wsm" class. I think it has some viability as folks want to do more "western" hunting with their existing 6.5CM action length rifles.

I think if I did have a Long Action, I probably wouldn't have done 300WSM. I'd probably go 7PRC like mentioned above.

I'm glad this discussion is going. I needed a 30cal magnum for my Terminus QC Short Action to hopefully shoot elk one day. I did order a 20" Proof barrel being cut by Straight Jacket Armory. I'm hoping to get 200 ELDX rounds going 2,850+fps by reloading them with H4350. I'm going to load them to an 2.9in COAL in MDT SA Mag Magazines. I am concerned that I can't find any factory ammo just in case I need some in a pinch. I do think this a caliber that will stick around in the "wsm" class. I think it has some viability as folks want to do more "western" hunting with their existing 6.5CM action length rifles.

I think if I did have a Long Action, I probably wouldn't have done 300WSM. I'd probably go 7PRC like mentioned above.

I still think the 300 wsm is a great do-all caliber and I’m glad I went that route for my last build. I was limited with cartridge options as my action of choice for the build is a Tikka, but I don’t feel handicapped by it at all. I’m taking it to AK again this year for moose and I have no concerns that it won’t function any better or worse as my old .338 wm that I used to bring for moose.

I debated some other options and the 300 PRC was a contender, but the more I shoot and compete, the less interested I am in calibers that require 90-110 grains of powder. My 300 wsm is shooting amazingly accurate, consistent, and pushing a 212 eld x at 2800 fps (with a TBAC U7). It was around 2780 before I added the can. The best part being recoil is totally manageable and powder lasts longer since I’m only using 65 grains. I have to be able to reasonably spot my shot for corrections. I don’t feel like I’m losing anything practically speaking to the bigger cartridges as I don’t shoot critters past 800 yards. Just my self imposed limit. I shoot steel a ton past 800, but I just don’t have the wind calling confidence to push beyond 800 on a critter.

While something like a 33xc intrigues me as a possible work around for my mediocre wind calling, my next build will likely be a 6mm variant. Likely a 6 creed. I really like my 6.5’s, but also appreciate the benefits of a fast 6mm, not to mention the low recoil. Anymore high recoil and high case capacity interest me very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Velocity seems a bit optimistic at reasonable pressures but you should have no issue getting close enough for it to not matter.

I’m going to do my load work ups with a brake and then hunt with my Ultra 9.

Is everyone expecting factory ammo to hit shelves just before hunting season?

I’m going to do my load work ups with a brake and then hunt with my Ultra 9.

Is everyone expecting factory ammo to hit shelves just before hunting season?

Highly suggest not doing that. There’s enough variation shooting a can vs no can that you should consider load development with the rifle configured as you’d use it hunting.
Then again if you’re shouting inside 300-400 yards, not a gigantic change, but definitely not the same. I gained 40 fps with a can and had to modify my loads that I developed pre-can. I had a slight sticky bolt lift with the can and dropped the charge a 1/2 grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Tikka 300 WSM is an absolute hammer on elk and deer but it is punishing to practice with. Along with the lack of factory ammo and the cost of it when you do find it has me considering selling the rifle. I have about 30 rounds left so maybe one more hunt with it and that may be it.
Try a limbsaver on your Tikka. The stocks leave a lot to be desired, but after I put a recoil pad on mine
My Tikka 300 WSM is an absolute hammer on elk and deer but it is punishing to practice with. Along with the lack of factory ammo and the cost of it when you do find it has me considering selling the rifle. I have about 30 rounds left so maybe one more hunt with it and that may be it.
Try a limbsaver on your Tikka. The stocks leave a lot to be desired. I couldn’t get three groups out of mine, but after I put a recoil pad on mine, I could shoot it all day. Otherwise it’s a no-brainer to keep, especially for the price paid.

Hello, I just joined the forum. Have enjoyed watching threads for years. Now I think I want to sell both my 300 short mags and a bunch of powder and primers. Seeing this thread may nudge me further. Thought I was going West, now getting older and less likely. Not a hand loader yet either, though I stocked up on components as they became more available last year. Agree with difficulty finding ammo and I just don't have the cash or ammo hunting patience to get these guns to shoot. Did find some Norma last year and thought things might be getting better. Now I'm afraid to shoot them.

It comes and goes like right now u can find nosler 180 accubond and Federal premium 185 HH BERGERS and remington 180 swift scirocco all over the place plus the 2 winchester loads 150 gr deer season xp n copper impact that have never disappeared n been available for along time but prices are jacked up

I’m glad you mentioned that Jm. Just found 3 boxes of accubond 180 bullets I had given up watching for. Thanks!

Good luck. Sadly, I think a lot of perfectly viable cartridges are going to end up virtual orphans post-Covid.

Having a 300 wsm built right now without worry. ADG seems to be back in a rhythm with producing brass for it. Preordered some off unknown munitions a few months ago and have 5 boxes on the shelf waiting for it. Factory seems harder and more expensive to find as of now.

I've said this before so my apologizes for being redundant but Winchester does a really piss poor job of supporting their cartridges. They need to attend a few Hornady seminars on how to properly market and support a cartridge because you can say what you want about Hornady but they do a pretty good job of not only marketing but also supporting their creations.

It's almost like Winchester see themselves as the creator but then expects the rest of the industry to support their cartridges but, IMO, why would others faithfully support something the creator doesn't even support. Just doesn't seem like a very good business model and it leaves the door wide open for someone to come along with something new that they do support.
Idk seems like winchester is producing the shit out deer season xp n copper impact its every where for 300 wsm but it's definitely low quality but the date I'm replying federal has started coming out with berger and terminal ascent is everywhere and remington swift scirocco is out the

I replaced the factory stock with a Bell and Carlson stock due to the fact I needed a longer LOP. It came with a Pachmayr stock which is supposed to help with reduced felt recoil as well. I may check out the Limbsaver though just to see if it helps. I appreciate your suggestion.
Good luck on getting that pachmayr off I put a BC on my tikka 300wsm it helped a little and added a heavy scope

If I didn't reload and I needed a new 30cal "magnum" it wouldn't be a wsm....I own one and love it but there is little to no support in the ammo department anymore.

30cal seems to be getting less and less love nowadays tbh...seems the .284 and under bullets are getting all the attention and I can't disagree. We used to use nothing but 300wm or wsm for moose and now all we use is a 7mm-08.

I will be putting it to the test on a big brown bear this year to see if it's exceptable for all big game in AK this year.
I'd love to hear if you were successful with your 708 this year for your brown bear? I have a 300 wisdom and 708 in ticas, love them both. Also, what ammo were you using?

I'd love to hear if you were successful with your 708 this year for your brown bear? I have a 300 wisdom and 708 in ticas, love them both. Also, what ammo were you using?
I took a 19" black bear with the 708 in the spring but my 2 brows were with a 375 ruger. I was after a monster that proved to be more elusive and smarter than I was so 2 smaller ones got the goods.

Black bear was shot with a 150g eldx at 2800fps 90yrd shot. On impact he did a complete barrel roll mid air and then rolled around for a few sec before taking off into the thick shit on a death run. He made it 200yrds. This year we will be playing around with some accubonds and berger to see what style works best.

I will be focused on archery browns so no data from me but the family should gather enough.

Back