300 WSM Future

TheHammer

WKR
Idk seems like winchester is producing the shit out deer season xp n copper impact its every where for 300 wsm but it's definitely low quality but the date I'm replying federal has started coming out with berger and terminal ascent is everywhere and remington swift scirocco is out the
I was at our local fleet farm Saturday for the 20% off everything store wide. And there was 5 choices of wsm stacked front to back. 3 from federal, One was the vld 185 Berger’s, 200** terminal ascent& 180 Sierra tgks, they had 180 win copper impacts and hornady ph 200s. All priced 54-60.99$ a box and had atleast 16 boxes of each.

Last edited:
I have been spending a good amount to find ammo to shoot with my new 300 WSM. $45 for core-lokts 150 grain, up to $66 for Federal Premium Terminal Ascent in 200 gr.

I went to a gun shop and asked about reloading dies for the 300 WSM and the guy just started telling me I wasn't going to save any money reloading, and I would be the only person in the woods with that caliber.

I told him I wasn't necessarily trying to save money, but make sure I can always have some ammo to shoot, and hopefully have more accurate rounds.

Anyway, approximately how much are you spending nowadays on reloads per shot approximately?

gerry35

WKR
I have been spending a good amount to find ammo to shoot with my new 300 WSM. $45 for core-lokts 150 grain, up to $66 for Federal Premium Terminal Ascent in 200 gr.

I went to a gun shop and asked about reloading dies for the 300 WSM and the guy just started telling me I wasn't going to save any money reloading, and I would be the only person in the woods with that caliber.

I told him I wasn't necessarily trying to save money, but make sure I can always have some ammo to shoot, and hopefully have more accurate rounds.

Anyway, approximately how much are you spending nowadays on reloads per shot approximately?
Once you have brass your cost goes down. Haven't done the numbers in a while but you can save some money. Even if you don't once you have a load your gun likes you aren't at the mercy of the ammo manufacturer's to produce ammo. Speer has good bullets that aren't super expensive. 7000 gr in a pound of powder so you should get 110 rounds +/- at least for the typical 300 WSM load. Not sure what primers run you but if you ship you should find some decent deals. If you take care of your brass and don't hot rod you should be able to get 5-10 loads per brass easily.

gerry35

WKR
I should also mention Sierra and Hornady have some good bullets too that won't break the bank. Speer still is likely a bit better when it comes to price.

Driftin

FNG
I put a brake on my tikka. Shoots like a laser. You can usually find ammo at cabelas or sportsmen’s wear house. I’d keep it.

Once you have brass your cost goes down. Haven't done the numbers in a while but you can save some money. Even if you don't once you have a load your gun likes you aren't at the mercy of the ammo manufacturer's to produce ammo. Speer has good bullets that aren't super expensive. 7000 gr in a pound of powder so you should get 110 rounds +/- at least for the typical 300 WSM load. Not sure what primers run you but if you ship you should find some decent deals. If you take care of your brass and don't hot rod you should be able to get 5-10 loads per brass easily.
Thanks for the estimate on powder. If someone shops around and already has the brass, looks like it could be done for a little over $1.00 a round.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

You should have told him that 300wsm is a cartridge not a caliber.

wyosam

WKR
You should have told him that 300wsm is a cartridge not a caliber.

Yep, lots of folks in the woods with that caliber, and quite a few with that cartridge. Don’t think the 300wsm is going anywhere. Even if shooting factory, save a couple hundred pieces of brass and the rifle will be fine for life even if factory offerings did dry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad I didn’t exit the 300 wsm. Started hand loading. First recipe shot small groups for me in a gun that hated everything factory I ever tried. I’m the third owner. Loaded up 20 hornady interlock 180s with 62 grains of rl17 to sight in having taken off the stock and scope, cleaned everything and remounted. Kept it at 50 yards so I’d hit paper. First 3 were on each other. Didn’t have much time but am now very excited. Might even replace the trigger instead of shit canning the gun.