300 Win Mag Won't Shoot - Send it back or convert to 7PRC?

Should I send it back to Bergara or convert to 7mm PRC?

• Total voters
Background:

Bought this rifle (300 Win Mag Bergara B14 Ridge Wilderness) a couple of years ago. Never could get it to shoot very well with premium ammo (4-5 MOA). Sent it back to Bergara and they re-worked it, claimed sub MOA with 3 shot group (some machining involved on the chamber and the muzzle brake I believe).

Finally had a chance to take it back out to see if it will shoot, and the groups did tighten up by ~2X, but still generally well outside of 1 MOA. I was shooting indoors, through a 100-yard tunnel (no wind) on a cradle. Pretty stable setup, with shots several minutes apart to allow for the barrel to cool (never got more than warm).

I did notice the bolt was sticky on extraction, not the lift so much. I don't remember this being an issue before, and my other Bergara's action is pure glass pretty much.

I did notice some uneven/segmented scratches on Hornady fired brass, and some minor bulging on fired Federal Premium brass (pics below, with fired brass on the left/unfired on the right). No extractor marks/primer issues on the base that I could see.

Brass1.jpg

Brass2.jpg

Range Results:
Federal Premium Nosler Accubond 180gr
FedNosAB.jpg

Federal Premium Terminal Ascent 200gr
FedTermAscnt.jpg

Federal Premium Trophy Bonded 165gr
FedTrophyBonded.jpg

Hornadly ELD-X 200gr
Note - this is the first ammo I tried after zeroing in with Norma. However I came back at the end after a long cool down and shot two more with this cartridge and they were about 3 inches apart...
HorndadyELDX.jpg

Cheap Norma Softpoint 150gr for sighting in:
Norma150gr.jpg

I don't want to end up going down the path of the "Bergarbage" thread guy, as most of these cartridges are ~$3 each. I haven't ruled out the scope, but I suppose I could swap that out and try one more time...

Thoughts? I'm itching to buy a 20" carbon pre-fit to convert this rifle into a lighter 7mm PRC with a suppressor.

gerry35

WKR
I would look at your scope and mounts first like you mentioned at the end of your post and go from there. If your scope is a problem it won't help on a 7 PRC of course. Once that's settled and you want to go for the 7 PRC then go ahead. Good luck on figuring it out.

OP
swavescatter
I should say that I check the action screws (tight), and I carefully mounted and re-mounted the scope before and after sending it in. Degreased all screws/threads, installed with torque wrench, no signs of slipping...

Tx270WT

FNG
Try another scope too, you never know when a scope will decide to act up.

The brass doesn’t look right.

Also may consider you may not have found that gun’s preferred ammo since it sounds like you're shooting factory ammo. I have a new 243 that didn’t shoot the first four ammo choices I put through it, then I got to the nosler premium ammo and it started throwing 3/4” groups with a 1/2” group here and there.

Tx270WT

FNG
That 243 also just taught me that just because it won’t shoot a factory loading of a particular bullet doesn’t mean the gun won’t shoot that particular bullet. I was getting 3” groups with a federal load. I took that same bullet and loaded it with my preferred powder and now have 3/4” grouping consistently.

ams30gts

FNG
First thing I would do is check all the screws on the action, stock and scope. Then if still not shooting good, try different ammo and then the scope.

OP
swavescatter
The action screws were checked and I put nail polish on the scope mount screws - nothing has moved. Could be the internals of the scope perhaps.

I might give the gunsmith a call to see what his thoughts would be on a conversion $$$-wise. Nice carbon barrel pre-fits seem to be ~$700.

By the time I buy another scope, mount it, shoot 30 more $3 rounds, send it back to Bergara...

MAP1

FNG
Lots of good advice here. Also as a last resort try Barnes ammo it’s accurate in every rifle I own.

So frustrating when this happens, I have a similar issue with a Christensen arms 6.5 prc. I’d put a new scope on and see if that changes anything, if it doesn’t I’d send it back one last time to see if they can actually fix it. After that I’d cut my losses and get a new rifle. By the way you interested in a CA 6.5 prc ? 😂

OP
swavescatter
So frustrating when this happens, I have a similar issue with a Christensen arms 6.5 prc. I’d put a new scope on and see if that changes anything, if it doesn’t I’d send it back one last time to see if they can actually fix it. After that I’d cut my losses and get a new rifle. By the way you interested in a CA 6.5 prc ? 😂
Ha ha! I just got a Fierce 6.5PRC with carbon fiber finishing issues. Luckily it's an absolute shooter though!

I agree the brass doesn't look good.Take it to a good smith.Wouldn't cost much even if he had to set the barrel back and recut the chamber. I had a similar problem with a Savage 110 chamber.Was worth a few bucks over all the shipping hassles and fixed the problem....

OP
swavescatter
Sort of curious now, which scope is on it?
It's a Sig Sauer Sierra 3BDX 6.5-20. I suppose I could try another scope and waste another $50 on ammo...

I'll call the gunsmith and see what he recommends, then maybe ask Bergara to take a look at it.

grfox92

WKR
I would send it back to Begara immediately. They guarantee their guns and from everything I've heard have good service and take care of it.

Having said that. Between what I have read on Rokslide and knowing someone personally, I will never buy a Begara until they get their stuff together.

Friend of mine just bought one is 6.5CM and it shoots enormous groups at 100 yards with flyers that miss the paper all together. Said the gun is absolutely all over the place with several different types of ammo. I have heard this issue way too many times with Begara to have confidence on buying one.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
did they tell you what ammo they used? was your scope on it when they tested? have you shot other rifles that shot way better? have you had another good shooter shoot your rifle with the same results? agree with expensive ammo i hate chasing problems.

OP
swavescatter
did they tell you what ammo they used? was your scope on it when they tested? have you shot other rifles that shot way better? have you had another good shooter shoot your rifle with the same results? agree with expensive ammo i hate chasing problems.
Yeah I think they recommended Berger Juggernaut 185gr, which I could never find, but also said something about ELD-X? At any rate I'm using like 5 different premium cartridges.

I can shoot sub-MOA with ease with other rifles I own (though 6.5PRC is largest other than 300WM). My buddy that is a mid-pack PRS shooter got the same groups as me (the first time I sent it in).

I'm not a pro, but using proper form from a (non-lead) sled on a bench through a tunnel, taking my time should get me pretty close...

EdP

WKR
Did you do your shooting over a chronograph? It would provide another data point for consideration. If the spread and standard deviation are good, you know it should be shooting more accurately.

davsco

WKR
Yeah I think they recommended Berger Juggernaut 185gr, which I could never find, but also said something about ELD-X? At any rate I'm using like 5 different premium cartridges.

I can shoot sub-MOA with ease with other rifles I own (though 6.5PRC is largest other than 300WM). My buddy that is a mid-pack PRS shooter got the same groups as me (the first time I sent it in).

I'm not a pro, but using proper form from a (non-lead) sled on a bench through a tunnel, taking my time should get me pretty close...
yeah if you can shoot other stuff accurately, and a buddy also cannot shoot your rifle accurately, and you've tried various ammo, does sound like it's the gun or something loose. if you haven't verified the scope in another rifle, and another scope on your rifle, maybe it's the scope.

OP
swavescatter
Well, curiosity got the best of me. I took it into a local gunsmith that specializes in precision Rem700 platform rifles. It'll take a couple weeks to get the diagnoses.

Couple remarks: he thought the muzzle brake may have been a little loose, but not enough to cause much issue.

Second, he did say they get very few Bergaras in compared to other manufacturers. That's reassuring.

Unrelated, but definitely sees Christiansen Arms all the time...