300 PRC versus 30 Nosler

Article 4

WKR
Dont see much around this discussion already taking place as I searched. I am highly interested in understanding the notion that because a caliber is new, it is better than the previous one; especially when the previous one is not that much older, has higher performance, is in the same action, and is also readily available.

SAAMI cartridge to SAAMI cartridge, 30 Nosler outperforms 300 PRC in all parameters and seems to have fallen out of favor. Wonder why?

WRO

WKR
Dont see much around this discussion already taking place as I searched. I am highly interested in understanding the notion that because a caliber is new, it is better than the previous one; especially when the previous one is not that much older, has higher performance, is in the same action, and is also readily available.

SAAMI cartridge to SAAMI cartridge, 30 Nosler outperforms 300 PRC in all parameters and seems to have fallen out of favor. Wonder why?

Brass, support, and factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Brass, support, and factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you, Hornady does flood the market but as I search vendors and websites, there seems to be plenty of 30 N ammo and components available. Not to mention the Hornady components reputation for quality at times can be suspect.

TaperPin

WKR
Anything new seems to sell - more so now than ever - plastic gun parts are so common it’s accepted as normal. We’ve become fixated with new and ok with disposable items of all sorts - little thought is given to how long a cartridge will last, only how shiney the new toy is.

There’s no practical reason for most of the new cartridges to exist - simply updating twist rates and chambering to minimum rather than maximum saami dimensions would accomplish 99% of what’s happening.

If your basing it on sammi spec alone, the 300 prc wins. The sammi reamer sucks for a 30N. Throat it properly where the bullet needs to be and it will out perform the prc pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

30 Nosler is a hand loaders cartridge.
They erode the throat and you have to chace the lands around every 500 rounds.

300 prc will be much more consistent of a larger number of rounds.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
30 Nosler is a hand loaders cartridge.
They erode the throat and you have to chace the lands around every 500 rounds.

300 prc will be much more consistent of a larger number of rounds.
Yeah I hear you, dont have enough rounds with my 300 PRC yet but I am on my second bbl with my 30N and so far in both bbls, I retain < .50 moa accuracy running it hard (95% full case) out to about 890 rounds. No chasing running 210 ablrs and Retumbo at 82 grains. I have one bbl at 1120 before replacement which I count as really good these days with a magnum caliber.
Has anyone got any data past 600 or 700 rounds with a 300 PRC?