30-06 for everything????

I’m right there with you, brother except I run a .270 myself. God forbid a hunter has a wood stocked rifle 😵. You’re also right about there being absolutely zero need for the latest and greatest stuff. I also have been called a Fudd because I like wood and blued steel. It is what it is.
Wood and blue steel, the only way to go!

1903 Springfield by Paul Jaeger in 1945. 4x Redfield Widefield!

I am sure I will give it some more horsepower after season but with all the travel I have been doing I don’t want to mess with it. If it’s broke don’t fix it kind of thing.
Completely understandable, the only reason I asked is because the Absolute Hammers like a faster powder. I think you could probably get another 150-200 FPS out of that load with a different powder.

Call Steve at Hammer and ask him about the Varget. That is your likely choice.

It’s a fudd cartridge. All the deer that I’ve killed with it don’t know this. I should also mention most of them I was using a walnut stocked 1963 R 700 ($180) topped with a Tasco scope, spitting Winchester 165G silver tips. Not the cheap Tasco…, the $179 one!

To be fair, my current rig is a Tikka, T3 7MM 08. Way more fun to shoot.

For many hunters, switching from the 30-06 they already have is likely atleast 1 hunt (financially) they will miss out on. I am in that group too. My 13th birthday gift from 1992 30-06 will always be with me!
dea66a2b784fe3bab901d386476f3e00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is this a good read? It looks to me like it is either awesome or absolutely terrible.
It is a good book, tons of pictures, it’s a big ass coffee table book. The guy went out and did an absolute ton of hunting over those years. Not sure why you would think it could be terrible, it was written quite awhile ago before random guys were dialing scopes and putting rifles into chassis.

He goes through how he selected his rifle and the loads he used (165g and 200g partitions), he fully acknowledges times when he thinks his gun wasn’t the ideal choice (brown bear hunting).

He shot tons of animals, he even wore the barrel out on that rifle. In fact, he dosent even talk about the gun all that much, there is a chapter early in the book that outlines it, then the rest of the book is about hunting where he occasionally talks about the gun/bullet.

Last edited:

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
For many hunters, switching from the 30-06 they already have is likely atleast 1 hunt (financially) they will miss out on. I am in that group too. My 13th birthday gift from 1992 30-06 will always be with me!
dea66a2b784fe3bab901d386476f3e00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Ahh the Ruger Zytel stock looks similar to mine

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    867.7 KB · Views: 37

IDVortex

WKR
Elk and deer are two different animals 😉
And if they have body armor on or not.

I actually have a old Savage 110 with a wood stock in -06, never killed anything with it, maybe this fall I might take it out. Even though I'm wanting and looking into building a 6cm, there's nothing like a
270 or 06 in a nice wood stock.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Growing up in SE PA, I didn't know there was any other caliber made, lol. Everybody had them and killed all kind of game with them. My avatar picture thing is my grandfather's 1918 Enfield in .30-06 with the organic material stock, lol, that was sporterized at some point with heavy steel. Awesome shooting rifle just to heavy to carry up over the mountain, it's 10# or more. If I was hunting from my truck I would carry it for a trip though. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
WOAH WOAH WOAH, you don't even have enough energy to kill stuff much past 300 yds....;)
I have a 175 LRX load as well. It’s shooting decent 3/4” groups. I would use a bullet in this weight class if I was hunting elk and I still might use this load it’s a definite option.

IMG_9685.pngimage_cropper_044DEBA3-5001-4D2D-959C-F3BA019841DE-41281-00001F8FE621F228.jpeg

There is a line of rockstockers out there biting their nails just waiting to tell you how your rifle is wrong!!!!

Love it! Sounds like an amazing hunting season, kill all the things!!!

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

I would genuinely be interested to see what recoil experience is like with a Rokstock with cartridges recoiling heavier than .223 or the Creedmoors.

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I would genuinely be interested to see what recoil experience is like with a Rokstock with cartridges recoiling heavier than .223 or the Creedmoors.
What is a rockstock?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Same here. I’m thinking of getting one for my tikka 30-06. Just sort of on the fence though.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest difference you'll see with the 30-06 (or any cartridge) has little to do with the stock, and everything to do with buying a suppressor.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The biggest difference you'll see with the 30-06 (or any cartridge) has little to do with the stock, and everything to do with buying a suppressor.
Yes a silencer makes a huge difference in recoil, so does stock design though. At one point I had 3 different 375HH rifles, none of them were the same. One of them was an absolute nightmare to shoot, it would take skin off my thumb and trigger finger as well as scope you if you weren’t holding it perfectly. Another one of those 375s was/is very easy to shoot and has none of those consequences. That is stock design.