3 or 5 pin??

AbSandy

FNG
Hey guys I currently shoot the hoyt carbon spyder at 70lbs. I have the black gold 5 pin slider set at 30-70 yds. My pins are pretty crowded. Im thinking maybe a 3 pin slider would be the answer set at 30-40-5-. Any thoughts or experiences on this topic would be great.

I have switched to 3 pin sights mostly on my hunting bows. Same reason, cleaner picture. I shoot Spot hogg sights on my hunting bows, I have the triple stack on a hogg father on one bow, then an old small housing 3 pin on a Tommy Hogg, using the triple stack pointer.

25,35, & 45, tho have been thinking of going 30-40-50.

Matt83

FNG
For me less is better. Target panic was a real issue for me with 5 pins. I was seeing too much in the sight and not enough of what I was aiming at. I made the jump from 5 pins to 1 and I’ll never got back. It’s worked this far for whitetail, turkey, and elk. Out of fear of hating a single pin I bought a used sight and it’s still the one I use today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I found that using a single pin was my best option. I was a 3 pin sight guy for the longest time and never thought I would change. Once I started using a single pin and testing it out, I realized that I didn’t need a multi pin sight.

Hey guys I currently shoot the hoyt carbon spyder at 70lbs. I have the black gold 5 pin slider set at 30-70 yds. My pins are pretty crowded. Im thinking maybe a 3 pin slider would be the answer set at 30-40-5-. Any thoughts or experiences on this topic would be great.
I like the 5 pin for options but 3 pin at 30-40-50 would be fine

wlzy

FNG
I went from a 5 to a 3 pin slider last year and I'm sticking with it. I like the cleaner view. You won't miss the other pins

Millerdyl

FNG
This probably depends a lot on your bow speed and your effective range. If you hunt think timber like I do with shots no longer than 40 yards and a fast bow, use less pins. If you're hunting where you can take long shots or have a slower bow, more pins.

I have a 7 pin armortech fixed right now and am actually looking at trying a 2 pin slider. It's actually in my cart at Lancaster right now. Just need to pull the trigger. I had all the pins to shoot bowhunter class long ago, shoot the sight is 10 years old and has been on at least two bows. I love it but really feel like it is now way to cluttered. The places we hunt shots are short, so no way I need all those pins any more.

2 pin

20 and 35 yard. Both pins move on the slide, so as I get out at 80 yards the pins are something like 80 and 90 but their home position is 20/35. Less clutter. The majority of my shots are done with the 20 yard pin, so if I need to shoot beyond 40, i'll have time to adjust the sight

Another vote for 4 pins. 20-30-40-50. For anything past 50, the situation needs to be a little ideal for me, so having to dial is a sanity check and preps my mind for what's about to go down.

Never thought about 4 pins before. I like it. Sliders are bad for me the less thinking at the time the better. If I had to adjust anything the elk would be in the next valley before I was ready. Lol but that's me..

Wapiti1

WKR
4 or 5 pins. 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 for the 5 pin. 3 is OK if I am in timber most of the time. I shot 3 for a long time, but moved to 5. If I'm in open country, the speed of sighting with the longer pins is worthwhile.

Jeremy

Definitely depends on what you are doing.
What are the chances you will ever shoot 50 or more yards? Or even 40 yards?
If those scenarios are low, then consider a one pin slider and get proficient at it.
I leave mine set at 25 yards, then compensate by aiming high, if farther.
It helps to practice and learn your trajectory.

Blandry

WKR
3 pin slider here.. all that's really needed under 70 yds.. I was a fixed 5/7 pin sights early on we're talking like 80s/90s/2ks when that's all there was! Once they devised a slider I went all the way to single pin.... now I'm back on a 3 pin slider which is perfect.

Would I even need a 3pin back in south Louisiana where I'm from for whitetail in a stand/ground blind? No.

Would I need it in TX where I last lived where you can bait? no as well.

Then again, what arrow weight and bow speed are we talking about? I can pretty much judge out to 40-50 with my single pin and 74lb Hoyt RX4 turbo 503gr arrow TW @280fps.

It's literally now worth discussing if you engage game under those those yardages.

Last edited:
Another vote here for a one pin sight. I use the black gold dual track which is basically a single pin sight with two pins. Look it up, shoot it, and never look back. I’ve harvested a bull, muley and whitey bucks using it.