280 AI Real World Feedback

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all, I'm planning my next build and am heavily considering 280 AI on a Tikka action. Would like to keep this fairly light for a mountain rifle but mainly looking for a non-magnum caliber with plenty of punch for those long shots out west. Have done lots of hunting with 7 Mag and 300 win Mag but after spending some time with my 6CM lately I've come to appreciate the shootability of a softer shooting gun (I also shoot suppressed). I don't reload yet so ammo is limited to factory offerings or ordering from somebody like Unkown Munitions.

*Mainly just wanting to hear about you experience with this round on all types of game and at what distances. Thanks!

Harvey_NW

WKR
I haven't shot anything with it yet but I just built that exact rifle. It shoots amazing but still has a little more snap to it than the reputation leads on. The only drawback to building a 280ai on a Tikka using a SAAMI spec reamer is the mag length will limit you on getting all you can out of the cartridge if you get into reloading. I had this rifle built for my wife so I intended on shooting a mild load anyways, and boy does it shoot.
20211018_073009.jpg

Jbehredt

WKR
I haven't shot anything with it yet but I just built that exact rifle. It shoots amazing but still has a little more snap to it than the reputation leads on. The only drawback to building a 280ai on a Tikka using a SAAMI spec reamer is the mag length will limit you on getting all you can out of the cartridge if you get into reloading. I had this rifle built for my wife so I intended on shooting a mild load anyways, and boy does it shoot.
View attachment 356847

What stock is that?

Good morning all, I'm planning my next build and am heavily considering 280 AI on a Tikka action. Would like to keep this fairly light for a mountain rifle but mainly looking for a non-magnum caliber with plenty of punch for those long shots out west. Have done lots of hunting with 7 Mag and 300 win Mag but after spending some time with my 6CM lately I've come to appreciate the shootability of a softer shooting gun (I also shoot suppressed). I don't reload yet so ammo is limited to factory offerings or ordering from somebody like Unkown Munitions.

*Mainly just wanting to hear about you experience with this round on all types of game and at what distances. Thanks!
I totally understand the appreciation of soft shooting cartridges, I have a 6 creed and a 6.5 saum that are excellent long range trainers.
However they certainly have their limitations when stopping heart beats at long range.
I'm a huge 7mm fan so the 280 ai gets my respect, there's a few things to consider though that make me think it might not be the best choice for you.

First the 280ai has the same capacity as the 7 saum so it's essentially a magnum with a standard bolt face.
Also if you don't handload it's less than ideal for shooting long range bullets, I guess your definition of "longer shots out west" is important in this area..
If you're shooting suppressed then recoil shouldn't be an issue with any 7mm magnum.
Since you don't handload and you're building off a tikka action, I'd steer you towards a 6.8 western.
It pisses me off that winchester and Browning don't just offer 8 twist 270 wsms, and ammo loaded with the 165-170 class bullets.
Oh well they had to create a super redundant cartridge to sell new shit.. Albeit a good one for off the shelf guys.

letrbuck

WKR
I have had a 280 rem for years, and just got a 280 AI last season. I don't see not being a hand loader as much of a hinderance. I see more 280ai ammo on the shelves than 280 rem, and with many rifle manufactures adding 280ai to their lineup in the last couple years the amount of factory offerings will continue to go up. You can always pick up reloading later, or if you have a buddy that reloads drop a set of dies and a case of beer off at his house one day.

The 280ai is a sweet spot in the cartridge world IMO. But you really do split hairs these days when comparing all the different available chamberings...

What critters are you looking to shoot, and what distance?

renagde

WKR
I agree with the above about hand loading in the Tikka action. I've been researching the hell out of this since I'm wanting to do the same thing. .280 AI or 7 SAUM or something else? Seem to be close to ballistic twins but if you handload, you won't be able to take full advantage of some of the long monos. If you're shooting factory ammo, I'd defnitly go .280 AI.

OP
texjitter

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a 280 rem for years, and just got a 280 AI last season. I don't see not being a hand loader as much of a hinderance. I see more 280ai ammo on the shelves than 280 rem, and with many rifle manufactures adding 280ai to their lineup in the last couple years the amount of factory offerings will continue to go up. You can always pick up reloading later, or if you have a buddy that reloads drop a set of dies and a case of beer off at his house one day.

The 280ai is a sweet spot in the cartridge world IMO. But you really do split hairs these days when comparing all the different available chamberings...

What critters are you looking to shoot, and what distance?

Yup at the start of the pandemic seeing all the 280 AI on the shelf at the LGS really caught my attention.

I'd like a do-all caliber for whitetail. Mule deer, antelope, and black bear for up to 700 yards. Maybe elk too but I think that will be way down the line

WDE91

FNG
I'm putting together a Tikka in 280Ai as my proverbial do everything rifle.
Stainless Tikka action that's getting a Preferred #2contour 24" 280Ai prefit barrel.
The stock is an OE painted T3 synthetic with a Limbsaver & a replacement OE steel recoil lug.
Using a Warne 0MOA Mountain Tech pic rail & Warne 30MM low Mountain Tech rings.
Somewhat undecided on scope as of now.

The barrel arrives mid Februrary assuming nothing changes.

Harvey_NW

WKR
.280 AI or 7 SAUM or something else?
I wish my 7 Sherman Max would show up so I could rattle off some actual numbers for ya. Now I'm not all in on drinking the Sherman cartridge kool-aid, but I will say having ADG brass available and being able to squeeze a little more out of that cartridge fit the bill for me.

renagde

WKR
I wish my 7 Sherman Max would show up so I could rattle off some actual numbers for ya. Now I'm not all in on drinking the Sherman cartridge kool-aid, but I will say having ADG brass available and being able to squeeze a little more out of that cartridge fit the bill for me.
That's on the short list as well. Not sure which I want-be patient and wait for ADG brass or spend an arm and a leg on Sherman brass?

I’d been hunting with a 280 REM since the early 90s. Stepped up to a 280 AI this year and love it so far. I’ve fired 3 shots at game at close range and have 2 deer and a coyote DRT. I have not shot at anything long range yet though.

Ammo is scarce like with most all calibers. But I’ve been able to find factory 140g and 160g Accubonds on the shelf locally. I also bought some 155g Terminal Ascents and 150g LR Accubonds on Gunbroker but they weren’t cheap.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
My buddy has basically the same build, proof barrel and mesa stock. He shoots the berger 175's at 2980 fps very well using RL26. He was able to find a 3rd part mag to give him a longer COAL.

That combo is plenty for your 700 yards on elk size and smaller.

83cj-7

WKR
I did a plain vanilla .280 Rem on a Tikka action a couple years back. I have since sold off several rifles because this simply fits the bill for most all of my hunting needs. I run a 168 ABLR at 2850 and the I’ve taken deer from 75-740 yards with great results. I haven’t hunted elk, but I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment.

12 Deer, 2 groundhogs, 1 coyote with 15 rounds.

02EF7E88-BF7B-486D-BA4C-621C1454B4A5.jpeg

This was 3 shots cold bore at 535yards in a 6-7 mph wind.
D1677FDE-6FEE-4309-B627-2BB7777B9560.jpeg475D2BAC-A995-4221-B0F7-1EF8A2ACD35C.jpeg

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in reading the responses as well. I am looking for an all around gun as well, blacktail deer to elk and am considering the 280 ai. I have a 25-06 that I use for blacktail here in Cali, but want a gun I can use for elk out of state as well. I am researching the 280 ai and 300 wm at the moment. 300 is a bit much for the blacktail around here but is good for out of state. My father in law reloads so I have that going for me(and has plenty of reloading supplies for a 300 wm), just need to make a decision on what I want my next gun to be. 280 ai and use for all my big game hunting, or 300 wm for elk and keep using the 25-06 for deer. I will be comfortable shooting out to 700 yards but doubt I would ever take a shot that far.

I did a plain vanilla .280 Rem on a Tikka action a couple years back. I have since sold off several rifles because this simply fits the bill for most all of my hunting needs. I run a 168 ABLR at 2850 and the I’ve taken deer from 75-740 yards with great results. I haven’t hunted elk, but I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment.

12 Deer, 2 groundhogs, 1 coyote with 15 rounds.

View attachment 356999

This was 3 shots cold bore at 535yards in a 6-7 mph wind.
View attachment 357000View attachment 357001
I think 280 Remington is one of the most overlooked and underrated cartridges of all time. Pretty sure JOC thought so as well, but the .270 ship had already left the port

Werty

WKR
I can't speak for Ai, but my 280 rem has done everything I have ever asked of it. I use it for deer, elk and black bears. I'd use it for antelope, except I bow hunt for them. Not sure if this helps,but hope so. Good luck

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm in the process of overhauling one of my Tikkas into a .280ai. This bottom metal will allow you to squeeze all of the length possible out of it: https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/products/ai-magazine-long-action-tikka-t3-t3x-bottom-metal
I've got one I haven't installed yet, but my buddy has one on his 280ai tikka and he's shooting 180 eld-ms without squeezing his OAL.
Double check your measurements with that, unless I'm wrong all Tikka actions are the same dimensions it's just the bolt stop that changes their classification. I installed the RedSnake bottom metal on a Tikka 7RM hoping for that to be the fix, and with a 300WM accuratemag the mag allowance exceeded the action port, and the nose of the bullet would catch on the edge of the action when feeding so it was essentially useless. I'm not sure if you need to have a gunsmith mill the port out to make it work or what, but it was pretty significant. Maybe a Pmag AICS will work being 3.5" COAL instead of 3.715" or whatever the accuratemag is but yeah, food for thought.

JakeSCH

WKR