280 AI Real World Feedback

Double check your measurements with that, unless I'm wrong all Tikka actions are the same dimensions it's just the bolt stop that changes their classification. I installed the RedSnake bottom metal on a Tikka 7RM hoping for that to be the fix, and with a 300WM accuratemag the mag allowance exceeded the action port, and the nose of the bullet would catch on the edge of the action when feeding so it was essentially useless. I'm not sure if you need to have a gunsmith mill the port out to make it work or what, but it was pretty significant. Maybe a Pmag AICS will work being 3.5" COAL instead of 3.715" or whatever the accuratemag is but yeah, food for thought.
That’s a huge bummer. I don’t have a mag yet for it but I’ll check that out.

Ctb124

FNG
I have used 280 many times for whitetail in texas, haven’t ever had a bad result!

rootacres

WKR
So not a 280 AI but that caliber was the direct comparison to the 7mm SAUM that I decided to build. Basically the 7mm SAUM is marginally superior in every category aside from factory ammo and chambering offerings. If you plan to reload it might be worth looking at. It has "magnum" in the chambering title, mostly because of the case but its a very mild rifle to shoot. You can rock a short action over a long. With you going suppressed keeping everything as short as possible is probably what you want.

So far a 168gr Berger did great on a bull elk at 325yds and a 143gr Hammer was plenty for a coues at 425yds.

The 280 AI is a well respected cartridge, especially on this forum. As a reloader I went 7mm SAUM.
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 4.06.19 PM.png

Briant_az

FNG
I love my 280AI. I’ve only killed one deer with it but had no issues what so ever. In hindsight I should’ve built it lighter, that’s the only reason I haven’t killed more with it. 550yards with a 140gr nosler accubond. That’s all I’ve ever loaded for it. Shot so good there was no need to try anything else.

Attachments

• 5A674EA3-85D5-4C1E-A04C-8F16758FD912.jpeg
    5A674EA3-85D5-4C1E-A04C-8F16758FD912.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 76
I’ve been shooting a 280 rem for several years now and though I’m not a long range shot guy, it has been a one shot rifle for deer and pigs for me. Another idea is the .257weatherby mag which is coming back around in popularity, and has been on my radar lately for my next rifle.

I haven't shot anything with it yet but I just built that exact rifle. It shoots amazing but still has a little more snap to it than the reputation leads on. The only drawback to building a 280ai on a Tikka using a SAAMI spec reamer is the mag length will limit you on getting all you can out of the cartridge if you get into reloading. I had this rifle built for my wife so I intended on shooting a mild load anyways, and boy does it shoot.
View attachment 356847
I'm considering a similar build as yours.Can you tell me what barrel you used ?

HeathH

FNG
Built one from a Tikka .270. Rebarreled to a #3 Douglas and cut to 22”. Weighs about 7.5 lb with a Leupold 4.5-14x40. Shoots 160 AB at 1/2-3/4”. I’ve stuck with Tikka mags and running about 3.3” or so.

Shot a grizzly in the Brooks Range last year at 235 yards that was dead before he hit the ground. Love the gun, comfortable with it to 500 yards.

I shot a medium sized whitetail buck yesterday morning with 160 grain Accubond (Nosler Trophy Grade 280 AI ammo) at about 50 yards. He was broadsided, moving towards me, but down at an angle. I hit him in the neck just in front of the shoulder. I found the bullet under the hide next to his shoulder on the opposite side. It was a perfect mushroom and weighed 112.2 grains. That's about 70% weight retention.

I was really surprised to find it. I would have expected a pass-through at that range. I didn't open up his body cavity but I'm sure it destroyed everything in between. He hit the ground immediately with just a couple reflex kicks before he expired.

Attachments

• 160 Accubond.jpg
    160 Accubond.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51

DWhite213

FNG
Had a 280 ai savage but couldn’t get it to shoot right. Guess it was a lemon as I tried numerous things to make it work. Looking at getting another one. I’m hoping to replace it soon with a better rifle. Thanks for the info guys.

mms2

FNG
my favorite rifle is a 280ai, I have used it on 2 antelope 325y and 550y, 2 black bear one big over 300lbs, and a coyote so far. shoots everything well 140gr bt , 168gr Berger and 160gr partions

my rifle is a nosler m48, I also shoot suppressed with a tbac ultra 5 compact suppressor doesn't add much to the rifle and makes it quite pleasant to hunt with out ears. the 280ai doesn't generate near the concussion as say a 300wm so the ultra 5 works well.

280ack

FNG
Been shooting and hunting with the 280 AI for 35 years, currently have 3. Used to be you had to make your own ammo, blow out the brass. The 7mm SAUM is a great cartridge. The 7 mm SAUM was getting hard to find before all the shortages here in the northeast, just like the standard .280. When shelves were full it was easier to find 280 AI than 7mm SAUM and std 280.

I have seen numerous elk killed with 160gr bullets like the Partition, Solid base, Barnes X. I've seen moose killed with the 150 cup and core. Antelope and deer with all kinds of 140's. I have a 6lb 280 AI and 8 lb 280 AI, one is easy and one kicks a bit. The platform you choose, mostly the stock dimensions and barrel contour will help you find a comfortable shooter.
One rifle I have is a M700 re-chambered from 280 std, the factory barrel is 24" and produces lower velocities than the other 24" 280AI's by 150-180 FPS, I get better velocities and groups from Hart barrels.

I've never shot a suppressor on a hunting rifle, they mitigate some of the recoil I assume? Also, it's no surprise I have always gotten better performance from longer barrels I have all 24" barrels and a 26" wouldn't be out of the question, just don't go shorter than 24".

Someone mentioned "longer shots", run the numbers at "Shooters Calculator" to be sure it will do what you want at the distances you want. It will probably be within an inch or two drop of any 7mm except the Weatherby or STW.

HGL

FNG
I've been using a .280 Ackley for 4-5 years now, its been a great rifle. I've had great success with Nosler 140 accubonds and 150 ballistic tips on deer and hogs. Last few years I've used the 168 VLD and 143 Hammer, with excellent results as well.

Mine is built on a stiller LA with a 22" brux. The .280AI is definitely a great round that I doubt I'll ever be without.

.280 Ackley.JPG

I've hunted with a .280 Rem for years and just ordered a .280 AI and all the stuff I need for handloading - I've got everything except the dies which should ship today! I have about 200 rounds of Norma .280 156 gr Oryx so I should be fireforming cases as soon as my rifle is built - delivery expected in May. I've hunted mule deer, elk, whitetail, hartebeest, zebra, blesbuck and kudu with my .280 and always had the animals dead within 20 yards of where I shot them. Ranges were from 75 to 300 yards. I sighted in for maximum point blank range. With the .280 shooting the Norma Oryx 156gr that works out to about 275 yards using a 225 yard zero for open country. I expect the .280 AI will extend my MPBR out to about 300 yards. I use as my MPBR an plus or minus 3 inches which should keep me inside an 8 inch target in hunting conditions out to whatever the MPBR is.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
280ai is in my opinion in my top ten all time.closer to 5 than 10.i agree with most all i have read here.but for me when you start talking shooting at live game animals at 700 yards,lets just say everyone has a opinion.elk cartridges for me start at 30 caliber magnum and only go up.you have to think of any possible scenario you could encounter.to each his own.ive have witnessed men shooting at elk over 500 yds.then go to pieces when they couldnt find the animal.sure hunter error plays a role.me i go bigger is better if you can shoot well enough.good hunting to all.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting a 280 rem for several years now and though I’m not a long range shot guy, it has been a one shot rifle for deer and pigs for me. Another idea is the .257weatherby mag which is coming back around in popularity, and has been on my radar lately for my next rifle.
hey central.yes the 257 bee has been reborn.having one built as we speak.top components with a 1-8 twist barrel at 25 "will be shooting from 120 grainers to 131 grainers with 1/4 moa potential with the right loads.also 280ai is a top cartridge and i own one.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Help me understand this building a 280ai thing.

Now I’m not judging, I spend money like an unsupervised child. but why?? Is it like a IPA beer thing?

Why not a 7mag? It does 3k easy, with the factory barrel.

Slugz

WKR
Help me understand this building a 280ai thing.

Now I’m not judging, I spend money like an unsupervised child. but why?? Is it like a IPA beer thing?

Why not a 7mag? It does 3k easy, with the factory barrel.
They are very close performace wise. Significant reduction in recoil going to the 280 AI due to less powder needed to get the same result. So a more efficient round.

Last edited:

Slugz

WKR
Texjitter,
Elk, moose, elk were the last three animals taken with my 280 AI Weaver custom. The cartridge is optimized for a 160 some odd grain projectile but we run a 175 ABLR.