2500 tires

For those who have 2500 diesels. What tires do you prefer? I have worn out 2 sets so far. The stock Firestones (30k) and Toyo AT/2 295/70/18r (32k). The toyos were fine but wore out a lot faster than I expected. I have a 2017 Cummins Ram, mostly drive long trips on highway but also do about 2k miles a year on rough dirt roads. Are there any A/T tires that will get at least 50k miles before they are smoked?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have an F-350 and I haven't found any yet. The Michelin LTX AT2's went the furthest, but were still done before 50k. I would have gone with the Michelins again, but the last 15-20k miles they got real squirrely on slick stuff.......worse than every other tire I've tried.

sacklunch

WKR
You say diesel...do you tow heavy? If not, Mickey Thompson Baja A/T are the most durable and best performing A/T I've ever had. 50k tread life guarantee as well. 3PMS rating and have served me better in both mud and snow than my multiple Toyo MTs ever have. And an added bonus, they're super quite on road but also look very aggressive for an AT. worth a look anyways to see if the load rating offered in your size works for you. Snagged 37x12.5r17 from 4WP for $330/tire.

Edit: typo, that's $330/tire, but still far cheaper ($100 per) than any Toyo or BFG in that size

Last edited:
These newer diesel trucks are so heavy and so much torque I don’t think they make a tire that is built to that kind of demand. I run a fleet of 15 diesel pickups and we average 30k miles on a set. We are running cooper at3’s right now because of pricing more than longevity claims.

You say diesel...do you tow heavy? If not, Mickey Thompson Baja A/T are the most durable and best performing A/T I've ever had. 50k tread life guarantee as well. 3PMS rating and have served me better in both mud and snow than my multiple Toyo MTs ever have. And an added bonus, they're super quite on road but also look very aggressive for an AT. worth a look anyways to see if the load rating offered in your size works for you. Snagged 37x12.5r17 from 4WP for $230/tire.
I'm trying a set of these now on my CTD. I've ran Cooper ST Pro's BFG KM,KM2 and AT and have never got more than 25k out of any of them. That includes religious rotations.

For those who have 2500 diesels. What tires do you prefer? I have worn out 2 sets so far. The stock Firestones (30k) and Toyo AT/2 295/70/18r (32k). The toyos were fine but wore out a lot faster than I expected. I have a 2017 Cummins Ram, mostly drive long trips on highway but also do about 2k miles a year on rough dirt roads. Are there any A/T tires that will get at least 50k miles before they are smoked?
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that you only got 32k out of your Toyo's! I've never ran the AT's but Im currently on my second set of Toyo's (RT's now, first set was MT's), and I'm just over 60k on them. I got about 55k on the MT's (ran around a lot with a heavy overhead camper, and pulling boats). This is on a 3500 Dodge/Cummins. I studded up the set that's on it right now, prior to winter, in the hopes that I can make it through the winter before I have to replace them, but whenever that happens, I'll definitely be replacing with Toyo's. Currently looking at another set of MT's, but 12 ply this time (load range F), as opposed to the 10 ply that I've had on it in the past.
72a67539f43d606deceacc05a78aeb8b.jpg

088f76ef87af5b755bc465291cdc2841.jpg

3491496dcc148d5a4ffe859d86d59653.jpg

No shit, I put these on right before I hit 190,000 miles. I sold the camper years ago, so I haven’t been hauling a bunch of weight around on them, and they’re definitely pretty much shot, but I can’t complain.

Last edited:
For when you want to get serious

B F G

A/T

That’s what my diesel runs and that’s what I dress all my old Broncos in too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
You say diesel...do you tow heavy? If not, Mickey Thompson Baja A/T are the most durable and best performing A/T I've ever had. 50k tread life guarantee as well. 3PMS rating and have served me better in both mud and snow than my multiple Toyo MTs ever have. And an added bonus, they're super quite on road but also look very aggressive for an AT. worth a look anyways to see if the load rating offered in your size works for you. Snagged 37x12.5r17 from 4WP for $330/tire.

Edit: typo, that's $330/tire, but still far cheaper ($100 per) than any Toyo or BFG in that size
No I’m not towing anything heavy. I was eyeballing those MT bajas but I’ve never heard much about them. I hear mix reviews about BFGs on diesels. I had a set of bfgs on my old gasser that went almost 100k

No I’m not towing anything heavy. I was eyeballing those MT bajas but I’ve never heard much about them. I hear mix reviews about BFGs on diesels. I had a set of bfgs on my old gasser that went almost 100k
I used to only run BFG's on all my vehicles, but I had two blowouts within about 3 months on my diesel (tires had about 30k miles on them), and never used them since.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hear mix reviews about BFGs on diesels. I had a set of bfgs on my old gasser that went almost 100k
I had a set of BFG KO's on my '89 Toyota and barely got to 35k with them, and they were running slick at that point. They talked me into the KO2's but I haven't been driving it as much as I used to. But from what I see so far I don't see them going past 40k.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve gotten over 50,000 miles on every set of KO2s that I’ve had on my 2500 HD. I switched to Michelin Defender LTX 2 and have been happy with those, as well. They perform offroad surprisingly well.

I’ve got over 68K miles on a set of KO2s on my 4Runner. I’ll put another set on it whenever these finally wear out.

Following. I have yet to find the perfect tire.

I have been through 3 sets so far on my ‘16 2500: the original Firestone were done at 25k, next was Wrangler Duratracs that were smoked at 18k, and most recently have been the Toyo AT3s that are wearing slower but I don’t see them making it past 30-40k. My hope is that I can get some warranty credit from the toyos added to the next set.

As for what’s next, I’ve read good things about Toyo M55s lasting long but they are very pricey and not the greatest for wet roads being a harder more durable rubber. I have also heard decent things about Falken wildpeaks but nothing related to longevity on a 3/4 ton. I would also add coopers at3 to the possible list.
I wouldn't say that the m55 is a harder rubber. The reason they last so long is that when they get to about 1/4 tread, the center tread block become a pretty much solid rib. At this point they go forever, but traction isnt the greatest. They are a very tough tire and I would put them right up there with any tire as far as winter type traction in the first 75% of tread wear. I typically run them down to that 1/4 tread and then use them as summer tires or trailer tires. The one set that I ran all the way down without removing had almost 60k.

They have gotten stupid expensive though.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I got around 35k-40k on 2 sets of BFG KO2. I have Falken AT3s now, right at 40k and think they will last another 10k. I’ll go Falken again after this set wears out. 18’ Ram 2500

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
I've tried many different tires but can't find anything that has an AT tread pattern that will last longer than 30k on a Ram 2500 Cummins truck. The excessive heat here in PHX and the fact that I use the truck exclusively for towing are probably a factor in the short tire life.

sacklunch

WKR
Not the MTs...the ATs...they're more MT than AT by looks and performance, but they ride/handle great, super quiet on road, and we're fantastic this winter in mud and snow

I have a 2020 Bighorn and am at 46k miles on the stock tires balance and rotating them every 6k miles. I’ll have to go check and see what they are…discount tire guys green lighted them last week at the rotation appt. They weren’t even at the yellow. I am probably going to replace them before hunting season, but I will be at 55k miles by then.