.243 under 200 yards?

brsnow

WKR
Looking to pick up a rifle for my father in law. He has pretty strict requirements on a shot and will not shoot over 200 yards, preferably closer. I watched him pass shots just over last year while carrying a .308. He is older and I think a .243 would be easier and also my kids 6 and 3 could use it over time as well. Any real issues? He is rock solid shot.

Sled

WKR
i'd agree with teamvit. but, i would not worry about a solid copper 243 projectile doing the job on an elk in those ranges. in the vitals equals meat in the freezer.

Wrench

WKR
A 243 with a bonded or barnes type bullet will kill an elk most handily to at least twice what you're asking for.....BUT, don't expect fantastic blood trails.

That 6.5 recommendation is solid. I have killed a LOT of elk with 260ai 140 class bullets and out to ranges that start arguments with perfect results.

Sled

WKR
What’s wrong with the 308? If he can still use it, the reduced recoil rounds would be fine <200. Hornady makes some that would be good.

kids don't need the thump of a 308 to start. older folks might not need the thump or magical powers of a 30 cal.

ericF

WKR
Or supress the 308 and have the recoil of less than a 243. Plus it will help when your kids start shooting in both recoil reduction, muzzle blast, and ability to hear instructions when out in the field without everybody having to wear ear plugs.

Teaman1

WKR
What’s wrong with the 308? If he can still use it, the reduced recoil rounds would be fine <200. Hornady makes some that would be good.

I agree with this. My first rifle used for deer was an old Winchester .308 with no recoil pad. I had absolutely zero issues with flinching and I was a very skinny 12 year old. .308 is a great all around cartridge

.243 is a very underappreciated cartridge today I think. Have an old ruger tang safety flatbolt that I shot my first deer with and will NEVER get rid of. If the shot discipline is there like you say - tough to beat a .243 for me

Wapiti1

WKR
.243 will work, but choose the shot wisely. I shot a couple elk with Speer 105gr Hotcor (wished they still made this bullet) before I knew it wasn't big enough to kill elk. A .243 was my first rifle.

That said, I'd stick with the .308 and just shoot lighter bullets to reduce recoil (130-150). For kids, there are several reduced recoil options from Hornady, Remington and HSM. I think a .308 offers more versatility.

Jeremy

Blakelok

FNG
Yep will work great. I picked up a 6mm creedmoor for this exact scenario with shorter shots and kids in the mix.

243 or 6mm Remington
90 gr. Nosler E-tip or Accubond
95 or 100 gr. Nosler Partition

Killed a LOT of antelope, deer, and a couple elk with the 6mm Remington. Love that cartridge.

BuzzH

WKR
I killed this cow with a 6mm Remington and 95 grain ballistic tip this past fall...130ish yards. I've killed several with the 6mm and one with a .243 as well.

IMG952463.jpg

I hunt with a friend that has shot 50+ elk with a .243 and 100 grain nosler partitions...I've packed several of those elk he's shot with that combo.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Does your state allow .22 centerfires for big game? If so, with you mentioning introducing your kids to shooting and hunting, I’d skip the .243 and go .223.

I'd also suggest 6 Creedmoor.
Can get factory loads in a little heavier weights 105s.
Little more punch and not much recoil.
Plus I think the factory ammo offerings your gonna get a more accurate rifle.
@Ryan Avery
Post up that slayer shot your daughter made with the 6cm

I will throw out there that I have a tikka superlite in 6.5cm that has less recoil than my savage 243. I have been super impressed with the shootability of the creedmoor. I knew a guy who would go for meat in Idaho with close range 243 action. He never needed anyone to give meat to him. Shot discipline will be the key and both will work

accept the limitations of the cartridge, shoot good bullets (I would shoot ttsx or partitions myself) pick your shot's and you guys will be fine. a well placed shot from a 243 is better than a poorly placed shot from a 308.

i'm gonna be in the same boat soon, my daughter is tiny, and she will be old enough to hunt in 2yrs. I will probably get her shooting my AR this spring, and go from there. I will not be surprised if her first elk hunt is done with a 243.

my wife just started hunting, and I she shot her first blacktail this fall with my sig m400 predator, and her first roosie with a 6.5creed.... we have the 6.5, and i'm probably buying another, I may thread mine for a brake for her to use