.243 for moose

Shraggs

WKR
Well since you think it's foolish, I guess no one should do it then.. Let me guess, your age starts with a number larger than 4

Edit to add: And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you think energy is a relevant number in terms of killing
Woa there! Just on 4 portion of your post.

Avid shooter and killer with 223/77 and 6/108.

My first digit starts with 6…. 😊

Key to learning is be open minded to learning instead of an ignorant know it all. Especially if what you diminish or dismiss is something you have zero first hand knowledge of. Otherwise it’s narcissism.

Seeknelk

WKR
Dead is dead for sure, but I prefer much less bloodshot meat personally. I'm aware that photo may be the exception rather than rule for that particular bullet though.

Gotta admit, never in my life have I seen a group of people so concerned with what other hunters are using to hunt/kill with.
Now it's too much damage from such a tiny bullet?

BCD

WKR
Boolets and practices matter more than headstamps…

78c9a8b9958ac95106e8f13433b8fb4a.jpg

6mm exit on a mature cow elk at 782 yards. But a moose would probably walk this off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What bullet?

Clayman77

FNG
people poke a small hole in those beasts with an arrow and dont get a full pass through but the animal dies still.
After listening to the same podcast, i realized i had been vastly over thinking things. We are shooting high speed bullets into animals with the most modern tech in bullets designed to do nothing but kill. We gotta remember that back in the day, the people used a hand thrown spear or a very low powered trad bow with stone points and brought them down.

Modern marketing has told us to buy bigger because bigger is always more expensive. in reality, creating a lethal wound that an animal has to bleed from isnt as big of a task as one would think. Moose just are big and have a bit more blood to leak out before they tip.
Excellent response. Animals are not hard to kill . Waiting on the animal to present itself the way you want and putting in the practice for chosen weapon is what is hard . Patients and shot placement will kill any beast with any weapon .

z987k

WKR
And clearly the meaning of the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" adage escapes you. Going with the smallest, lightest lessons the margin for error. There's hundred of pages supporting light caliber for game on this site and I'm fully aware that technologies change, but I think it's completely foolish to shoot a 700 lb animal with a .224 caliber bullet just because it's legal and you can. As I said, the animals deserve better. But you and all your believers go right ahead where it's legal and continue to show off your trophies, it's too bad pics can't be taken of the wounded ones that would have been recovered had more appropriate calibers had been used, guess I'll never prove my point?...I'm fully aware it's just my opinion , I have no delusions of changing your minds.
The margin for error is so intriguing. I've never seen any evidence that a poorly placed 375 kills better than a poorly placed 243. At best, the "margin of error" is maybe .5inches. So little to as to be irrelevant.

thing about 243 bullets is they bounce off moose. whereas .308 diameter quarters rem up and packs them into the skiff for me.

it's that extra oomph.. also known as knockdown power.

energy. more energy my man.

but remember 243 bullets bounce. maybe tickle.

I sat down with Gilbert Villegas, biologist on WSMR, in my podcast to help first time hunters cover a lot of questions. Everything went perfectly for me and I killed a 36" cow in less than a hour, but that was just good fortune. Incredibly cool experience.

Because it was brought up about the toughness of other mythical animals above and beyond the fabled blue bull, I look forward to asking Gilbert in February on my hunt how many oryx were effectively taken from September to January this hunt season with either a .243 or .223 using a "reliable explosive expanding" boolet (ref sierrabullets.com)

Everyone knows the stories of the other larger calibers (nevermind what was said in the podcast) and how unnecessary they are for taking oryx.

I'm sure they'll be just fine...

**Time intervals on podcast:
16:00 - 22:50,
1:02:55 - 1:24:25,
1:32:30 - 1:32:45

Bugger

FNG
Yeah I could give a flying F what other people think what is acceptable caliber wise on moose or elk , I just know for a fact shooting a nilgai with a small caliber and it’s gonna run oft and never be seen again
Except a CNS shot
Look up “223 nilgai” on YouTube.

RMM

WKR
Woa there! Just on 4 portion of your post.

Avid shooter and killer with 223/77 and 6/108.

My first digit starts with 6…. 😊

Key to learning is be open minded to learning instead of an ignorant know it all. Especially if what you diminish or dismiss is something you have zero first hand knowledge of. Otherwise it’s narcissism.
Haha I didn't mean any offense, however in my experience the older a person is, they tend to be more set in their ways and opposed to change.

My dad, for example, is in his 60's. He's convinced the 6PRC I just had built won't kill a deer on a hard quartering to shot with 108 eldms. Says he thinks the bullet will blow up on the shoulder and not reach the vitals. I told him I'm going to save a doe tag and purposely shoot one quartering to just to show him how effective those bullets are.

ElPollo

WKR
Seen it , those solid copper mono metal DRT seem to have some good penetration at close range
DRT are not “solid copper mono metal”. They are a non-lead option, but are a standard type jacket with a core of compressed, powdered tungsten. They are designed to fragment.

Shraggs

WKR
Haha I didn't mean any offense, however in my experience the older a person is, they tend to be more set in their ways and opposed to change.

My dad, for example, is in his 60's. He's convinced the 6PRC I just had built won't kill a deer on a hard quartering to shot with 108 eldms. Says he thinks the bullet will blow up on the shoulder and not reach the vitals. I told him I'm going to save a doe tag and purposely shoot one quartering to just to show him how effective those bullets are.
All good!

All my life - to be better I’ve always tried to learn and be open to learning. Maybe I’m the exception.

However, as the president of a large gun club I see an even distribution of fuddism and I know more than everybody else in terms of age. Baffling to me considering most don’t conduct themselves that way in the workplace…. So manhood must be at stake with guns, but not archery …. I guess. Hell some of the worst most ill informed and poor skilled shooters think they’re amazing wall of trophies sets them apart and they are THE authority and things about caliber, bullets, moa/mils bla bla.

Many members at my club are on rokslide, not one of them had heard of or read the the 233/tmk thread or who Form is. As I’ve probed this subject it’s clear they read what validates their interests and beliefs.

Ie not learning but feeding…

Psalmon

FNG
The other thing to consider in Alaska ( I live in Kenai) is do you feel comfortable shooting at a griz with that 243 or you going to carry a secondary. Most griz are coming off the salmon and starting to chase moose during moose season.