.243 for moose

Big_wals

WKR
They're expensive for NR's, given the fact you have to hire a guide to hunt moose up there.
What difference does the price make in what cartridge is suitable? If it cost $25,000 for a NR, or 50 bucks for a resident license and tag, the moose doesn’t care how much the hunter paid for the privilege of deflating its lungs.

JGRaider

WKR
What difference does the price make in what cartridge is suitable? If it cost $25,000 for a NR, or 50 bucks for a resident license and tag, the moose doesn’t care how much the hunter paid for the privilege of deflating its lungs.
It never makes any difference to me personally, as I don't give a flying crap what anyone uses anywhere. I know what I've liked to use over the past 52 hunting seasons, and why.

S-3 ranch

WKR
It never makes any difference to me personally, as I don't give a flying crap what anyone uses anywhere. I know what I've liked to use over the past 52 hunting seasons, and why.
Yeah I could give a flying F what other people think what is acceptable caliber wise on moose or elk , I just know for a fact shooting a nilgai with a small caliber and it’s gonna run oft and never be seen again
Except a CNS shot

Big_wals

WKR
I Misunderstood you as defending the idea that expensive hunts somehow require magnums. Carry on with what works for ya.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah I could give a flying F what other people think what is acceptable caliber wise on moose or elk , I just know for a fact shooting a nilgai with a small caliber and it’s gonna run oft and never be seen again
Except a CNS shot

Oh you know for a fact?

Big_wals

WKR
Lane’s Nilgai,
Shot 150 yards slightly quartered, went 20 yards.

504c609da9690b0c1f2053f23dfeb053.jpg

470946904aafa1e4ce010e7ddc8b3e1b.jpg

82ebea2efb78dc85d5b3464dc0e1e774.jpg

a3027afa7b50c0e83c0484342aa52404.jpg

2fa014348aec1d22e8e0f6f91bfa87ca.jpg

57ad91fecf8fe9a9cbcf56fc35716151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Except a CNS shot

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Except a CNS shot
I know a guy in South Texas who guided thermal/NV Nilgai night hunts for years. He was showing me all his night rigs one day and I asked him what his favorite one was for him and his clients to use.
He picked up a 300blk out bolt gun 16”
I was a little surprised. No telling how many they harvested each year. But he told me they can usually get within 50yards at night also.

He even offered me a free hunt so I could try it myself. Unfortunately I was working to much at the time to take him up on this generous offer.

It will work but it is light for moose as you know. Good stout bullets like a 100 gr. Nosler Partition, 90 gr. E-tip, or 90 gr. Accubond will work.

This picture is of a large cow elk my son killed with one shot at 350 yards with his 6mm Remington. He was shooting 90 gr. E-tip handholds. Hit her tight behind the right shoulder in the lungs. Bullet exited the offside shoulder in the center of the shoulder. She staggered 20 yards and tipped over. She would not have died any faster with the same exact placement shooting a 7mm magnum or a 30-06. Good bullets and good placement should work.

1723844269066.png

Except a CNS shot

What’s small? 257wby 115gr VLD? Or 80gr TTSX ?

S-3 ranch

WKR
What’s small? 257wby 115gr VLD? Or 80gr TTSX ?
The hyper velocity of a hand loaded 257W @ 3400 ++fps I am sure would be pretty lethal on medium sized game
The average Joe factory load imo isn’t going to get much shock factor in smaller caliber for nilgai, or produce a nice bloody trail to follow in the heavy brush
Popping them at night in a wide open field or tidal flats, then finding the heat signature is a complete different game .