243 for elk

87TT

WKR
A few dollars for a better rifle would be one of the least of expenses. The OP will have enough to worry about just getting a shot at an elk without the worry of a marginal cartridge. If the elk isn't worth that then you shouldn't be hunting them.

We as the hunter control 100% of the shots we take. A poor hit on an elk is going to be a rough road to recovery, regardless of cartridge.

Using a magnum as an excuse to shoot distances outside of our abilities, take poor shots through brush, quartering towards us, or at a moving animal is not a reason to recommend shooting a magnum.

I don’t think anyone is saying the .243 is the optimal cartridge for western elk hunting.

IMO, This post started as a guy asking if he could get away with a .243 on a single - maybe 2 elk hunts in his lifetime so he could buy a new rifle that would best serve the shooting and hunting he will most use thru the life of the rifle.

Had he asked what would be the best cartridge for elk, well, that’s a totally different discussion.

The answer to his question IMO is yes, it would work.
We control the shot but not all the variables. The animal takes a step, a gust of wind ,ect. And yes, having a bigger caliber that can shoot thru the shoulder bones DOES make a difference if the shot or angle is not ideal. If gut shot, the caliber doesn't matter, but in other situations, a bigger bullet, going faster can make a difference

as to his intentions, I disagree. Here is what he said:

“I ask because I have one and I'm looking at a new rifle and I may get a chance to go elk hunting shortly”

He is looking at a new rifle....

My opinion is that it would be a smart choice to get a new rifle in a bigger caliber.

Also, reading thru the lines, it sounds to me like he may be a novice hunter/shooter. If I am wrong, AND he can hit a pine cone 9 out of 10 times at 200 yards, then I would be more willing to say using a 243 would be ok

Last edited:
OP
T
We control the shot but not all the variables. The animal takes a step, a gust of wind ,ect. And yes, having a bigger caliber that can shoot thru the shoulder bones DOES make a difference if the shot or angle is not ideal. If gut shot, the caliber doesn't matter, but in other situations, a bigger bullet, going faster can make a difference

as to his intentions, I disagree. Here is what he said:

“I ask because I have one and I'm looking at a new rifle and I may get a chance to go elk hunting shortly”

He is looking at a new rifle....

My opinion is that it would be a smart choice to get a new rifle in a bigger caliber.

Also, reading thru the lines, it sounds to me like he may be a novice hunter/shooter. If I am wrong, AND he can hit a pine cone 9 out of 10 times at 200 yards, then I would be more willing to say using a 243 would be ok
I haven’t ever shot past about 120 or so yards bc I’ve never needed too I won’t take a shot much farther than that on an elk with a caliber as small as 243 and I’m very picky about my shots I’ve passed twice on the two biggest bucks of my life and they were inside of 80 yards.

You sound like you could make it work. That said, remember that elk hunting is not deer hunting. You will be lucky to get only one shot opportunity in a week of hunting! If you are ok with passing on that one chance you get ( when you could have shot with a bigger caliber) then you should be fine with a 243.

The country they live in is vast and you could have a shoot opportunity at 50 yards or 400. Personally if I get the chance to shoot at an undisturbed elk at 250-350 yards, I don’t want to have any doubts in my mind when I pull the trigger.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I know a couple of local fellows that use a 243 for cow elk, and a few more that use a 257 Roberts. These are guys that live near elk and can be very picky about taking a shot. If a cow is close, broadside, and not moving, they take the shot. Any other situation they pass and wait for a better opportunity. I do not know anybody that uses a small cartridge like the good old 243 for bull elk.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I find it funny most will highly recommend a 243, 6.5 cm or the 708 as perfect for kids but you need a 300 whuzu. If that bullet goes in the heart lungs they dont go very far and it dont matter if its a 270 or a huge magnum, you wont see any difference. I have an old friend in Colorado who has used the 708 since its introduction with zero problems. He is an excellent shot though.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I find it funny most will highly recommend a 243, 6.5 cm or the 708 as perfect for kids but you need a 300 whuzu. If that bullet goes in the heart lungs they dont go very far and it dont matter if its a 270 or a huge magnum, you wont see any difference. I have an old friend in Colorado who has used the 708 since its introduction with zero problems. He is an excellent shot though.

We think alike... my daughters 7-08 has not bounced off an elk yet...

Elk are tough no doubt but they die very quickly from a well placed bullet.

Rourke__

FNG
I will be using a 6.5 creedmor, have heard not the best things about expansion at less than 150 yards. Not sure if .243 has same problem

OP
T
I’m shooting a 95 grain sat right now and every deer I’ve shot with it has a hole I can just about put my fist in so they expand just fine under 150

87TT

WKR
Deer ain't elk.

Years ago I killed a deer at 50 yards with 00 buck out of a 12 ga shotgun. Hit him with 2 pellets. One in the hock and one through the lungs. Dropped in his tracks. That was stupid and I never hunted with a shotgun for deer again. Not because it wouldn't work but because I have more respect for the animal.

wytx

WKR
I would put a new stock on that 243 and work up some varmint loads for it.
A .270 would be a good choice for your deer hunting and would work for elk just fine. You do want good bonded or mono bullets for elk though.

OP
T
I would put a new stock on that 243 and work up some varmint loads for it.
A .270 would be a good choice for your deer hunting and would work for elk just fine. You do want good bonded or mono bullets for elk though.
I believe I’m gonna go this way thanks I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll try to not ask such dumb questions anymore.

OP
T
Absolutely NOT a dumb question. Good choice BTW.
Well I kinda think someone started a thread mocking this one so I believe they feel it was a dumb question along with the several that commented on it. I commented on it too just to have some fun.

BuzzH

WKR
Watched my 13 year old nephew pound an elk this fall with my late Grandfather's .243 using a handloaded 100 grain nosler solid base bullet this fall.

Shot was 362 yards, hit the elk just in front of the on-side shoulder, bullet was under the hide of the off side shoulder after breaking the shoulder blade.

Had good blood after about 2-3 yards from the spot of bullet impact:

IMG_20201118_131740132.jpg

Piled up maybe 80 yards or so later:

IMG_20201118_124500927.jpg

Happy camper:

IMG_20201118_140539876_BURST001_COMP.jpg

I've shot several elk with a 6mm Rem. no problems at all and another with the same .243 that my nephew shot his with.

No trouble that time either.

I've gone full circle over the last 40 years shooting elk. Started with a 6mm, went to a 30/06 for alot of years, then a .338 for a lot of years, then a 7 RM for several years, then to a 7-08 which I've shot 19 elk with in the last several years. I'm going to start shooting my 6mm more at elk.

What I've learned along the way, killing 77 elk in the process...the 3 most important things to killing elk is: Shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement. After that bullet construction.

I say shoot what you shoot best, stay within your limits, and let the "experts" worry about ft. lbs, taking chitty shots on elk, and crowing about how you need a magnum to kill one...

I believe I’m gonna go this way thanks I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll try to not ask such dumb questions anymore.
Asking this question shows you are smart! Have a great hunt and ok hope you send a bullet at an elk!

it is absolutely not a dumb question. I suspect the reason some poster might be doing that is because it is a COMMON question. We see “is a 243 ok for elk” several times a year.
But it is new to you! Thx for asking.

Well I kinda think someone started a thread mocking this one so I believe they feel it was a dumb question along with the several that commented on it. I commented on it too just to have some fun.
I’m shooting a 95 grain sat right now and every deer I’ve shot with it has a hole I can just about put my fist in so they expand just fine under 150
I suspect you mean an SST bullet?
That is Ok for deer but I don’t consider it ok for elk. You need a tougher bullet.
Nosler Partition
Accubond
Gmx

are a few of my favorite tougher bullets. Good luck finding ammo though for any caliber and any bullet.

OP
T
I suspect you mean an SST bullet?
That is Ok for deer but I don’t consider it ok for elk. You need a tougher bullet.
Nosler Partition
Accubond
Gmx

are a few of my favorite tougher bullets. Good luck finding ammo though for any caliber and any bullet.
Yes I mean sst and we have had outstanding performance but I understand a tougher bullet will be in order thank you for the suggestions .

Ok I've heard a lot of different statement on wether you can or or should use 243 for elk I ask because I have one and I'm looking at a new rifle and I may get a chance to go elk hunting shortly. It will be used mostly for deer and here in arkansas we don't have really long shot nothing past probably 350 yards
243 will work awesome. I have killed them with 243’s all the way up to 300 rums. Energy is over rated. Keep the velocity at impact up high enough for the bullet to expand and you will be fine. I like bergers or Eldms personally. Neither of which are a real “tough” bullet. People have made elk out to be these crazy tough bullet proof animals - most of that nonsense comes from guys who made “the perfect shot” and never recovered the elk ... eye roll. Elk are big, but they arent that tough. Sometimes it takes a while for them to realize they are dead on their feet, so guys keep shooting until they go down. They will die with any well placed shot. I shoot them now with 6mm CM and 108’s.

BuzzH

WKR
All this .243 talk got me remembering a question I asked a good friend of mine that I hunted elk with quite a bit before he left Wyoming.

I was helping him pack 2 elk he'd shot from the same bunch, with his .243 and 100 grain factory partitions, with one shot each, "so, how many elk have you shot with that .243 now?" I asked.

His response, "I don't know, never kept track , but more than 40 for sure, shot 10 or so with a 30/06 and didn't care for the recoil".

My friend packing a different bull he also shot with his .243.

IMG_0471.JPG

Hunting camp hasn't been the same since he left...hope I'm packing elk out of designated wilderness when I'm crowding 80.

IMG_0472.JPG