.243 for ca mule deer

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Typically I use a 7mm rem mag or a .308 but have never shot a deer with my .243 yet. I want to hunt with it this year. I feel like it should be good for 300 yards and in but not sure if it’s any good for any further. I’m using a 90gr nosler e tip. (Thanks Cali for the non lead ammo)

I hunt high where there is typically wind and that’s what makes me nervous about a small caliber lighter weight bullet.

Reactions: Guy
Typically I use a 7mm rem mag or a .308 but have never shot a deer with my .243 yet. I want to hunt with it this year. I feel like it should be good for 300 yards and in but not sure if it’s any good for any further. I’m using a 90gr nosler e tip. (Thanks Cali for the non lead ammo)

I hunt high where there is typically wind and that’s what makes me nervous about a small caliber lighter weight bullet.

You're fine. It would be a good idea for you to run the wind drift, drop, and velocity numbers on your load, and don't shoot distances beyond where that copper bullet drops below 2000fps (threshold for reliable expansion).

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I typically like to keep it inside of 400 with 300 and closer being the obvious goal

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Never have needed to shoot further. Except once last year I let a nice 4 point slip away at 450. Had a clean shot and rest and tried to get to 300. By the time I closed the distance, he had ghosted me

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Yup wind is the one thing I need to practice for sure. Thanks for the reassurance!!

I dont have experience with the e tip, but from what I have heard they are one of the harder copper bullets. You may want to look into a different bullet, DRT, which was already suggested, Hammer or Cutting Edge or even the Barnes LRX. They claim those open up down to something like 1800 fps.

ajf243

FNG
243 to 300-350yrds is usally fine. Shoot on a windy day so you can get a sense of what those bullets are doing. I use my 243 in MT on coyotes and wind takes the 100gr partitions for a ride.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have experience with the e tip, but from what I have heard they are one of the harder copper bullets. You may want to look into a different bullet, DRT, which was already suggested, Hammer or Cutting Edge or even the Barnes LRX. They claim those open up down to something like 1800 fps.
Damn that sucks cuz I just bought 5 boxes of them lol. I have never killed a deer with it because I always grab my .308 or 7mm

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
243 to 300-350yrds is usally fine. Shoot on a windy day so you can get a sense of what those bullets are doing. I use my 243 in MT on coyotes and wind takes the 100gr partitions for a ride.
Yeah I want to start shooting the coyotes in the off season. Everytime I don’t bring a gun I usually see a few lol

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Have never heard of drt but they seem intriguing. Still trying to grasp how the projectile is made lol

Taudisio

WKR
As others have mentioned, the noslers are pretty hard. My pops won’t leave the state and I suggested the gmx/cx Hornady bullets and shoulder shots with his 6.5creed. Bang flops have been his only result. The Hornadys are made out of the same material as a standard lead bullet jacket, so it should reduce copper fouling. The faster the bullet the better. Personally, I would look for something in the 70-80gr range and try to get the mv up to 3400+.

180ls1

WKR
Some of the twist rates are pretty slow on those. I would go with the lightest and fastest you can get to guarantee expansion and then just deal with the wind.

Hornady Superformance?

Taudisio

WKR
According to hammer bullets, the 69gr absolute hammers have velocities “up to 3900 fps from a 243 and hold on hair out to 420 yards. I’d start there and get them as fast as you can, and maintain sub 1.5moa. That should get you out to max pbr and still have sufficient accuracy to hit the ribs of a deer. Much past 450 yards, the velocity needed to expand becomes a concern.

EdP

WKR
I have shot whitetail and pronghorn out to 500 with my 6mm Rem using 100 gr GKs. Your .243 should be OK but not as good a choice as the 7mm RM for the larger bodied MD. There may be some opportunities you would take advantage of with the 7mm that would be better to pass on with the .243. If you are willing to do that in order to use the .243, go for it.

Bambistew

WKR
I shot a fair amount of whitetail and mule deer, a couple elk, and a half dozen antelope with a 243. Also hunt with a 7mag and 308 and many other calibers for lots of other animals. My go-to rifle for deer has been either a 7mag or 280rem for nearly 20 years now. I really can't think of any advantage to shooting a 243 over a larger caliber other than lighter recoil. They all kill deer, sure, but if I was on a OIL type hunt... I'd rather have a little extra oomph, better wind drift and piece of mind if I needed it. I've been in on a couple hundred big game kills and have seen lots of weird and amazing things happen with big and small calibers. Just be confidant in what your shooting and go for it!

Sorry I'm not much help, but I can't say I'd recommend a 243 over a 7mag. I have yet to be disappointed in the results of a 7mag, can't say the same for a 243. :D

Have you read "Use Enough Gun" by Robert Ruark? Great read.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a fair amount of whitetail and mule deer, a couple elk, and a half dozen antelope with a 243. Also hunt with a 7mag and 308 and many other calibers for lots of other animals. My go-to rifle for deer has been either a 7mag or 280rem for nearly 20 years now. I really can't think of any advantage to shooting a 243 over a larger caliber other than lighter recoil. They all kill deer, sure, but if I was on a OIL type hunt... I'd rather have a little extra oomph, better wind drift and piece of mind if I needed it. I've been in on a couple hundred big game kills and have seen lots of weird and amazing things happen with big and small calibers. Just be confidant in what your shooting and go for it!

Sorry I'm not much help, but I can't say I'd recommend a 243 over a 7mag. I have yet to be disappointed in the results of a 7mag, can't say the same for a 243. :D

Have you read "Use Enough Gun" by Robert Ruark? Great read.
It’s not that I am disappointed in the 7mm mag it’s that I just want to kill a deer with the .243 lol. Seems stupid right?

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t think you’ll have any problem with a mule deer to 400 - 500 yards. They don’t fall over as fast as with a 7 mag, so plan accordingly. A close friend was in a similar boat as you - he had never been around a 243 and just wanted to kill things with one - after getting an elk, mulie and antelope he liked the rifle so much I sold it to him and bought another identical e loaner rifle. The 100 gr. Partition is a popular bullet - sheds over 1/3 of its weight quickly and what’s left makes a deeper hole, usually exiting. My loaner 243 has killed elk, mulies and antelope - can’t remember any that weren’t recovered, but a cow did make it 400 - 500 yards.