.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Sounds like you've found yourself a nice little secret spot! Out of curiosity what does that Montana weigh? Looks like a nice little outfit for walking around.
Yep, not to mention my other buddy got a tripalm as well this morning. Camping out at -13C paid off for us this year on the 2 day moose season.

I’ll weigh the Montana tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2687.jpeg
    IMG_2687.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Grizzle

FNG
Yep, not to mention my other buddy got a tripalm as well this morning. Camping out at -13C paid off for us this year on the 2 day moose season.

I’ll weigh the Montana tomorrow.
I'll be in your neck of the woods for the November two day opener. Been lucky the last two years hopefully keep the streak going. Haven't got the 22cm finished but will be using 140eldm from prc.

hunterjmj

WKR
Killed a cow elk this morning at 320 yards. Hit her in the chest looking at me. She was pretty wobbly but gave me another shot broadside. Didn't get pictures of the heart and lungs but I believe the first shot hit the lungs and the second hit the heart. Either way she didn't go more than ten feet. Edit: 223 with 73 gr eldm.
IMG_4407.jpegIMG_4414.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg

Camv

FNG
Pharmseller would you happen to know the c.o.a.l. of your 75 eldm load?
I'm as green as it gets with reloading and would like to have a base to start with for length

hunterjmj

WKR
Pharmseller would you happen to know the c.o.a.l. of your 75 eldm load?
I'm as green as it gets with reloading and would like to have a base to start with for length
They are just Hornady 73 gr eldm factory ammo. Id have to measure for you when I get home. They fit in a tikka factory magazine.
Edit: just noticed this was for pharmseller

Last edited:

kkp005

WKR
My 7 year old got her first deer today. We have been practicing a lot and she has got pretty dang good with the gun. Deer came out about 70 yards so the impact velocity was about 2500fps. She hit him a little far back but the little green goblin wrecked him and he only made it about 40 yards. Insides were mush. Could hear sloshing just by rolling him around… only real meat lost was the tenderloins.. they had ribs shrapnel sprayed in them. After killing stuff with the 77gr tmk it continues to impress. Really don’t know why I have any bigger guns

-18” tikka
-trijicon credo 2.5x10-56
-MDT chasis with an ar stock so she can get the right LOP.. she’s pretty small for her age @ a little over 40lbs
-hand loaded 77gr tmk’s with Xbr-8208 @ about 2650 muzzle velocity

Attachments

• IMG_2024-10-26-180745.jpeg
    IMG_2024-10-26-180745.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2024-10-26-181004.jpeg
    IMG_2024-10-26-181004.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2024-10-26-181135.jpeg
    IMG_2024-10-26-181135.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1146.jpeg
    IMG_1146.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 123

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
She proves the original concept with the first 3 pics.
Then shows off, by defying the very first tenant in the 4th picture.
I mean really! She’s shooting the über cool Lapua Match brass…. REALLY! 🤣🤣🤣
At 7 she’s a brass snob diva.
Absolutely love it! Congrats to her & you.

IMG_1852.jpeg

kkp005

WKR
She proves the original concept with the first 3 pics.
Then shows off, by defying the very first tenant in the 4th picture.
I mean really! She’s shooting the über cool Lapua Match brass…. REALLY! 🤣🤣🤣
At 7 she’s a brass snob diva.
Absolutely love it! Congrats to her & you.

View attachment 782265

😂😂😂.. well we are using the RIGHT bullet with the RIGHT headstamp.. In the RIGHT tikka with the right scope . It does have tally rings but I’m in the process of transitioning. It’s the only tikka I have left that doesn’t have sportsmatch or UM’s

sargent

WKR
Data point for a less than perfect shot with a .223/77 TMK. New hunter hit this ~80 lb button buck in the stomach. Impact velocity was ~2377.

77 TMK shot placement.jpg
77 TMK entrance.jpg
77 TMK exit.jpg
The deer dropped in it's tracks at the shot, then got up and ran a 20 yard loop in the field before heading into the trees. The bullet did not exit and there was no blood trail whatsoever. We found the deer bedded with it's head up ~30 minutes after the shot (no follow up shots after dark), came back an hour later and it was dead.

The bullet did it's job despite the shot placement. When we removed the first hindquarter a ton of blood came out of the deer and total distance traveled from the shot was around 75 yards.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Data point for a less than perfect shot with a .223/77 TMK. New hunter hit this ~80 lb button buck in the stomach. Impact velocity was ~2377.

View attachment 782373
View attachment 782374
View attachment 782377
The deer dropped in it's tracks at the shot, then got up and ran a 20 yard loop in the field before heading into the trees. The bullet did not exit and there was no blood trail whatsoever. We found the deer bedded with it's head up ~30 minutes after the shot (no follow up shots after dark), came back an hour later and it was dead.

The bullet did it's job despite the shot placement. When we removed the first hindquarter a ton of blood came out of the deer and total distance traveled from the shot was around 75 yards.
That is a data point that you never try to get (especially with a youth hunter) but it sure is enlightening to have. Very glad for a positive outcome. I am also very glad you were willing to share this data point.

View attachment 782373
View attachment 782374
View attachment 782377

Sort of addresses the argument for larger cartridges in case of a marginal hit, doesn’t it?

The animal didn’t travel far and was recovered in a fairly timely fashion.

P

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 782373
View attachment 782374
View attachment 782377

I had a very similar situation last season but it was a 130gr mono out of a .270 wsm. That did exit but zero blood, guts and fat just plugged the holes. All that energy and penetration to have the exact same result.