.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Got my first RSS kill. Tiny button buck at 130 yards. He was quartering away to the left and was lower than me but facing uphill so that I could see the top of his back. That makes the shot placement look really high but the bullet traveled downward and diagonally through on a path that would have exited just in front of the off side shoulder, but didn't exit.

He dropped like a bag of rocks, kinda thrashed for 30 seconds and then was done. The way he went down I think a fragment must have hit his spine, but I couldn't feel any damage when I removed the backstraps (gutless method).

With you all shooting bears, moose and other gigantic critters this little guy doesn't really offer any new data for the thread, but I wanted to share it. I'm an adult onset hunter that usually gets skunked so I have no shame admitting I was stoked to get this little button buck.

20241027_102147.jpg20241027_103052.jpg

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Got my first RSS kill. Tiny button buck at 130 yards. He was quartering away to the left and was lower than me but facing uphill so that I could see the top of his back. That makes the shot placement look really high but the bullet traveled downward and diagonally through on a path that would have exited just in front of the off side shoulder, but didn't exit.

He dropped like a bag of rocks, kinda thrashed for 30 seconds and then was done. The way he went down I think a fragment must have hit his spine, but I couldn't feel any damage when I removed the backstraps (gutless method).

With you all shooting bears, moose and other gigantic critters this little guy doesn't really offer any new data for the thread, but I wanted to share it. I'm an adult onset hunter that usually gets skunked so I have no shame admitting I was stoked to get this little button buck.

View attachment 782720View attachment 782721
There is never any shame as long as you are happy with the kill. I have been hunting 30+ years. If I get an opportunity at a spike or doe, I still get the shakes of excitement afterwords!

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Nice shooting. I always figured hunting is hunting, all fun and challenging. My adopted son was probably more exited about a spike buck he shot than a bear in Alaska. Growing up in Hungary and then Alaska I don't know how many deer he's even seen.
Sadly I probably won't get to try a .223 for a long time. But this thread did inspire me to try a 6.5 Grendal after never using anything smaller than a .308 in Alaska. Worked great.