.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Please, Please excuse my ignorance with my question. I have never ever hunted a bear, seen a bear, live near a bear in the wild any where withing 250+miles of me. So I know NOTHING, about hunting or killing a bear. Keep that in mind with my question. The only experience I have of even shooting at a "bear" was 40 years ago shooting 3D archery tournaments, I had a terrible, terrible time then of finding the "vitals" of a bear in a tournament. I thought then, and still do lol, so my question. Why cant ya just shoot a bear in the head? Not have to worry about missing the heart/lung area, not mess up any meat, just put one in the ear hole? Thanks in advance.
Yes you do.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I stretched it out to 400 yards and I was very happy. I did not have much time and I was learning how to use the shooter app that was sugged. I took 4 shots, drove the 4wheeler down and marked them and headed back for the next 4 rounds.

Set 1: top right of the box, 4 shots at 1 1/4" (I could not believe it.) The wind was strong but steady. I dialed down and left to make a correction.

Set 2: middle of the box and a smidgen still high. Shots 1, 3 and 4 landed in the 1.5". (I pulled the 2nd shot and called it.) Including the 2nd shot that hit low and left you are looking at 5.8". The wind was still strong and steady. I adjusted down .2 mil and got ready for the 3rd set.

Set 3: 5.5" grouping. I felt this was a strong representative as the wind started surging/gusting. There might be 2" of vertical travel in the 4 shots but it really messed with the horizontal dispersion.

This gave me the numbers I needed to "true" the velocity to better use the shooter app. I look forward to doing more shooting "at distance." (Where I hunt, 200 yards is a decent shot!) If you have any suggestions (other than shoot 10 rounds when I have more time / grouping), I would love to hear it. With an 18" barrel, 400 might be a touch past max effective distance. I was shooting the Black Hills 77gr TMK at 388' elevation (in TX, 1.5 hrs from the gulf - sea level) and it was about 73 degrees outside. Does this look about right to you? Or did I do something wrong.

Thanks for your help and advise. This is new to me but really enjoying this distance shooting with no reportable recoil!

Attachments

• 20241020_130818.jpg
    20241020_130818.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20241020_125253_Shooter.jpg
    Screenshot_20241020_125253_Shooter.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 16