.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Bowfinn

FNG
Thanks, but my next problem is I currently don’t reload and getting ammo shipped to Ak is hard/something I haven’t done.

Poe

FNG
It’s interesting to you that small caliber and fragmenting bullets are being advocated and your post with a big caliber and fragmenting bullets supports this is a bad idea?
Never said it was a bad idea. I just think it’s interesting how the 77smk doesn’t seem to have any issues at higher velocities even in a 22creed yet a sst at double the weight failed to penetrate far enough to damage the second lung

Shot another pig tonight with the 75 gr sabre. 115 yards, he was facing me straight on with his head down feeding. Put it right in the top of the skull. Pig dropped in his tracks, as would be expected from any bullet with that placement. Didn’t do a necropsy as I didn’t have a saw with me to cut the skull open. One of the biggest hogs I’ve ever shot, of course tonight was the night I forgot to bring my scale 🙄 took two rachet straps and about twenty minutes to wrestle him into the pickup.
View attachment 768139View attachment 768140View attachment 768141
He’s a monster

Shraggs

WKR
Never said it was a bad idea. I just think it’s interesting how the 77smk doesn’t seem to have any issues at higher velocities even in a 22creed yet a sst at double the weight failed to penetrate far enough to damage the second lung
Gotcha.

My take on it, regardless of caliber or bullet good shot placement is key. Poor lethality is difficult to blame, assess or argue on those things when it is a poor shot.

The pic and story don’t jive. If that is quartering to probably not where I would place a shot. Possibly partial lung, liver and guts. Hence is was not a good shot regardless of authors words. If that was broadside presentation be a better shot imo.

I think difficult to draw any conclusions on one pic and questionable written summary as a “third person”.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha.

My take on it, regardless of caliber or bullet good shot placement is key. Poor lethality is difficult to blame, assess or argue on those things when it is a poor shot.

The pic and story don’t jive. If that is quartering to probably not where I would place a shot. Possibly partial lung, liver and guts. Hence is was not a good shot regardless of authors words. If that was broadside presentation be a better shot imo.

I think difficult to draw any conclusions on one pic and questionable written summary as a “third person”.
People seem to like to post up the "one offs" and "hardly ever" examples to make a point. Exceptions have never persuaded me. It's the norm that Im convinced by. Ive never met a bullet that hasn't been claimed to have failed at some time, but more often than not its the shooter failing it.

Juan_ID

WKR
Thanks.

Factory Hornady 22 Creedmoor Precision Hunter ammo.

Factory Tikka rifle re-chambered to 22 Creed and factory Tikka 8 twist 22-250 barrel cut and threaded.

Rokstok, Maven RS1.2 scope, UM Tikka rings.

View attachment 763494

View attachment 763495
I’m getting very similar speeds out of my 20” gt and 80 eldm’s and they shoot pretty well but I’m tempted to try some eldx just for shits. Do you plan to use the eldx over the eldm for all game?

Bowfinn

FNG
Palmetto state has their line of it. Its not match grade stuff but plenty accurate for tipping over animals
I’m sure it shoots accurate enough to be functional out to distance. My problem is I need a friend with a checked bag on a plane or I need to get a barge/shipping company involved to get it to me.