.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

atmat

WKR
Shot this boar this AM as he was mounted on a sow. 425 yards with 68gr Hammer HHT launched at 3400fps from my .22GT. Had about a 3/4 value wind from the right and used .4 mils for my wind hold. My only rest was a bag thrown over the top wire of a fence so wobble zone was pretty large. Hit him through the guts. DRT. Pass thru shot. Exit wound in pic. I was not happy with the shot placement and was amazed he dropped in place with such poor placement. I suspect a pedal must have tickled the spine. Once I saw where I hit him, I decided not to explore further. Pig guts are nasty. The pic is deceiving. He’s nearly as heavy as me. I’d put him around 150 to 160 pounds. I never cease to marvel at the shield on these mature boars. About 3/4” thick on one this size, and extends from the last rib to the front of the shoulder. Even thicker on bigger pigs. The best terminal ballistics test media there is.

John

Nice work! What knife you working with there?

Thegman

WKR
Shot this boar this AM as he was mounted on a sow. 425 yards with 68gr Hammer HHT launched at 3400fps from my .22GT. Had about a 3/4 value wind from the right and used .4 mils for my wind hold. My only rest was a bag thrown over the top wire of a fence so wobble zone was pretty large. Hit him through the guts. DRT. Pass thru shot. Exit wound in pic. I was not happy with the shot placement and was amazed he dropped in place with such poor placement. I suspect a pedal must have tickled the spine. Once I saw where I hit him, I decided not to explore further. Pig guts are nasty. The pic is deceiving. He’s nearly as heavy as me. I’d put him around 150 to 160 pounds. I never cease to marvel at the shield on these mature boars. About 3/4” thick on one this size, and extends from the last rib to the front of the shoulder. Even thicker on bigger pigs. The best terminal ballistics test media there is.

John

I have to say, I feel a little bad for this guy; shot in the guts right when he was gettin' some action. Doesn't get any worse than that...😅

Big_wals

WKR
Shot another pig tonight with the 75 gr sabre. 115 yards, he was facing me straight on with his head down feeding. Put it right in the top of the skull. Pig dropped in his tracks, as would be expected from any bullet with that placement. Didn’t do a necropsy as I didn’t have a saw with me to cut the skull open. One of the biggest hogs I’ve ever shot, of course tonight was the night I forgot to bring my scale 🙄 took two rachet straps and about twenty minutes to wrestle him into the pickup.
IMG_1276.jpegIMG_1289.jpegIMG_1287.jpeg

pilgrim7

FNG
That's a big ass, scary looking hog. Look at those evil looking eyes. I'm not sure it's a good idea to shoot dangerous game with a 223.

Sure, it may work if everything goes perfectly, but what if that hog decides to charge you? What then? That 223 is gonna feel like a BB gun. Ask me how I know!
Ok, how do you know? Did you put a 223 into the vitals of a charging pig to no effect?

Or is this the margin of error argument where a marginal shot with a .30 would have done the job?

Shot another pig tonight with the 75 gr sabre. 115 yards, he was facing me straight on with his head down feeding. Put it right in the top of the skull. Pig dropped in his tracks, as would be expected from any bullet with that placement. Didn’t do a necropsy as I didn’t have a saw with me to cut the skull open. One of the biggest hogs I’ve ever shot, of course tonight was the night I forgot to bring my scale 🙄 took two rachet straps and about twenty minutes to wrestle him into the pickup.
Ol big nasty. Nice work.

bbell

WKR
Ok, how do you know? Did you put a 223 into the vitals of a charging pig to no effect?

Or is this the margin of error argument where a marginal shot with a .30 would have done the job?
It’s a running joke. Gman has the “bb gun” that killed a grizzly if I’m not mistaken.