.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Taudisio

WKR
So from your understanding, is it just a profile difference, or materially different in composition?
I don’t have an amax, but far left is the eldm and next to it is a vmax. You can make your own conclusions.

Edited to fix my error, that was an eld-x before. I took another photo of the eldm vs the vmax.

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Dave0317

WKR
Have any of you noticed a difference in performance with the tipped vs hollow point Sierra Match King's?
Search for “match bullets” on rokslide. Lots of data points to read up on.

In summary though, the tipped bullets expand very reliably and consistently. Hollow point Match bullets sometimes perform well, and sometimes the tip gets closed or just doesn’t open and it just pencils through.

If you have a choice, use tipped on animals.

Have any of you noticed a difference in performance with the tipped vs hollow point Sierra Match King's?

Whatever it is, tmk always upset well. Maybe once below 1900fps I might have had a pencil through..

Whereas stories like Avery’s 230gr smk bull is pretty standard.

The meplat on a tmk is a lot larger then an smk

Pretty ez to file off tip of a 75gr eld a bit and run mags that allow a bit more coal in stanag confines. Or just go 73. Expect not a ton of penetration on eld-m 75gr at velocity above 2700. Deer still die tho

hunterjmj

WKR
I've been following this thread for some time and I really wanted to go Model seven or model 700 sa but just can't turn anything up. Finally handled a tikka and I really like them although I didn't want to. Anyhow, I'm collecting components and will have a rifle soon. Have Norma brass and 400 more 77tmks on the way.
Still have dies, shell holders, bullet comparators to get but I'm on my way.

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 8

WIDrake

FNG
So from your understanding, is it just a profile difference, or materially different in composition?
My understanding, while very limited, is that the vmax is a softer bullet. Meaning the copper and the lead should both be a bit softer than the components in the eld. Again, very limited understanding, but the vmax is designed to upset faster and not penetrate as deep as other bullets to try and only make one hole in a pelt.

Just my 2 pesos

WIDrake

FNG
I've been following this thread for some time and I really wanted to go Model seven or model 700 sa but just can't turn anything up. Finally handled a tikka and I really like them although I didn't want to. Anyhow, I'm collecting components and will have a rifle soon. Have Norma brass and 400 more 77tmks on the way.
Still have dies, shell holders, bullet comparators to get but I'm on my way.
Get the Tikka, you'll love it.

WIDrake

FNG
I'm getting one just deciding which one. Cant decide between the t3x lite or the t3x superlite. I want to go light but not to light. I'll probably put a simple 3-9 scope on it with talky rings to keep weight around 7 lbs
Superlite, being 223 recoil only matters for spotting shots. Get a can on the end with a Superlite and then have the best of both worlds