.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I have read hundreds of pages and did a search but can anyone comment on the 75Amax? Im out of the country and will be hunting withing a few days of coming home, not enough time for components to come in so I was going to run what I have which is the 75amax at 2850fps.

Edit: The other option is the 75gn Black Sabre, there are the only loaded heavies I have found in stock.

I have shot a bunch of deer over the years with the 75amax from 223/223ai and 22-250/22-250ai. They work great.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
How does the hornady 75 BTHP compare to the 73 ELDM in terminal side?
I got. A lot of the hornady fr320..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren’t going to convince me that a 73gr eld-m performs way different then a 75gr a max. Ahaura guys used 73gr to cull cham, goat, deer.

I doubt 75gr bthp will bounce off, but the 73gr has the same jacket thickness, meplat size and linotype as the 75gr eld-m and in real world it has a fairly obvious bc increase over the 75gr Bthp.. and the 75ax, eld-m is legendary on game.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
You aren’t going to convince me that a 73gr eld-m performs way different then a 75gr a max. Ahaura guys used 73gr to cull cham, goat, deer.

I doubt 75gr bthp will bounce off, but the 73gr has the same jacket thickness, meplat size and linotype as the 75gr eld-m and in real world it has a fairly obvious bc increase over the 75gr Bthp.. and the 75ax, eld-m is legendary on game.

Yea I was mostly concerned if they upset as consistently as the eldm line.

Again, I doubt they bounce off.. but same atmospheres and assuming 2700fps at my current atmospheres.

75bthp hits it at 365 yards

The 73gr eld at 415.

And I’d not crowd the 1800fps line too close with factory ammo. Pretty common to see 50es easily.

How does the hornady 75 BTHP compare to the 73 ELDM in terminal side?
I got. A lot of the hornady fr320..

Terminally not the same in my experience. Eld/Amax perform much more consistently than Hornady bthp. The bthp does have some supporters in this thread but if you had a choice between the 2 I’d go with the ELD.

Thegman

WKR
Has anyone used Barnes 55gr TSX on medium/big game? What were the results? The factory loads group great out of my rifle.
I've used the 55 TTSX on a few deer and a big black bear. They worked well...sort of...the black bear was a bit of a rodeo, but largely due to the first shot not being where a first shot should have been.

BigNate

WKR
Has anyone used Barnes 55gr TSX on medium/big game? What were the results? The factory loads group great out of my rifle.
From what I've seen, it ( tsx) needs quite a bit of speed to do much damage. Even then the wound channel is narrow. I used a 50gr ttsx out of a .223 on a doe broadside at about 60 yds with success, but probably won't use them again for anything but out the back door.
I had better results with 45gr tsx, out of a .22-250, again shorter range, more damage, shorter run.

I have read hundreds of pages and did a search but can anyone comment on the 75Amax? Im out of the country and will be hunting withing a few days of coming home, not enough time for components to come in so I was going to run what I have which is the 75amax at 2850fps.

Edit: The other option is the 75gn Black Sabre, there are the only loaded heavies I have found in stock.

Amax will knock the hell outta whatever you put it in

JCMCUBIC

WKR
From what I've seen, it ( tsx) needs quite a bit of speed to do much damage. ...

Speed helps, bone makes everything right. Tipped version can help a bit as well. I used to use the 62 TSX and 62 TTSX quite a bit. I always wanted the shoulder...I consider it a concession.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Black Sabre is not a 75gr AMAX. It is a VMAX stretched to 75gr.
@Formidilosus is there any definitive difference in A-max vs V-max? Different jacket structure? Different lead composition? In everything I've read so far, it's very inconclusive on what difference, if any, there is.

Part of me believes that Hornady would put the time and effort to differentiate various bullets, as that's entirely what a bullet manufacturer does. But the other part of me sees the efficiency of using the same components and manufacturing processes and just labeling them different, and relying on Marketing to sell the difference.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus is there any definitive difference in A-max vs V-max? Different jacket structure? Different lead composition? In everything I've read so far, it's very inconclusive on what difference, if any, there is.

Part of me believes that Hornady would put the time and effort to differentiate various bullets, as that's entirely what a bullet manufacturer does. But the other part of me sees the efficiency of using the same components and manufacturing processes and just labeling them different, and relying on Marketing to sell the difference.

Considering that a 75gr AMAX can not be loaded to 2.26” coal- yes, there is a difference.