.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ElPollo

WKR
Sighted in my wife's suppressed RAR 5.56 today with 55 grain ball. This was the first 5 shot group with Black Hills 77 TMKs. She said it was the first time she ever really had fun shooting. Life is good!
View attachment 762914
My 17 year old daughter who has been shooting her whole life says basically the same thing about my suppressed 223 Tikka. She is the only woman who has qualified for our local long distance shooting range and shoots it out to 600 from field positions. Taking recoil out of the equation makes a huge difference.

pilgrim7

FNG
My 17 year old daughter who has been shooting her whole life says basically the same thing about my suppressed 223 Tikka. She is the only woman who has qualified for our local long distance shooting range and shoots it out to 600 from field positions. Taking recoil out of the equation makes a huge difference.
That's awesome! Sounds and muzzle blast go a long way towards building a flinch.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s not about getting them clean. I just hate wet cuffs around my wrist.

But I hate bug bites more.

I very rarely use latex gloves, but I do carry them and maybe that would’ve been my use case haha.
Used them for the first half. They were filled with blood and got slippery and didn’t have a second pair for the other half of the break down.

The Guide

WKR
You may already do this but I put on 2-3 pair before I start field dressing. When the outer pair is done, I peal them off and already have my next pair on.
Another thing you can do for cold hunts is get rubber gloves that are 2 sizes too large for your hand and put them over a pair of white knit stretchy gloves (we call them roper gloves) so you have something to keep your hands warm while gutting and cutting. Keeps your hands dry so you can put new gloves on as needed too. Really helps when it is below zero and blowing.

Damn near lost my finger tips one year cause I got elk fat under my finger nails and that froze the tip of my nail bed. I only lost skin but it was close to turning flesh white.

Jay

Taudisio

WKR
Sighted in my wife's suppressed RAR 5.56 today with 55 grain ball. This was the first 5 shot group with Black Hills 77 TMKs. She said it was the first time she ever really had fun shooting. Life is good!
View attachment 762914
Is this the RAR gen II? I have one coming as a “trainer” for the kiddos, and more than one box of black hills 77tmk. Gets me excited for them.

Another thing you can do for cold hunts is get rubber gloves that are 2 sizes too large for your hand and put them over a pair of white knit stretchy gloves (we call them roper gloves) so you have something to keep your hands warm while gutting and cutting. Keeps your hands dry so you can put new gloves on as needed too. Really helps when it is below zero and blowing.

Damn near lost my finger tips one year cause I got elk fat under my finger nails and that froze the tip of my nail bed. I only lost skin but it was close to turning flesh white.

Jay

Yep, I'll carry Atlas insulated rubber crabbing gloves in wet, cold conditions. Alternatively, keep a pair of the Gripxx textured 8mil nitrile gloves in a size or two up to go over your hunting gloves.

Also bought cut resistant gloves for the kill kit this year. Always nick myself once or twice, figure they'll provide some extra warmth and protection.

Last edited:

Thegman

WKR

Jay
👍 That's exactly why you see nitrile gloves pulled over wool army surplus gloves in all my pictures. The wool gloves also offer some protection from accidental cuts, which are especially bad IME if you’re cutting up a bear. They're especially nice when it's cold. My hands stay warm cutting stuff up even in below zero weather.

The Guide

WKR
👍 That's exactly why you see nitrile gloves pulled over wool army surplus gloves in all my pictures. The wool gloves also offer some protection from accidental cuts, which are especially bad IME if you’re cutting up a bear. They're especially nice when it's cold. My hands stay warm cutting stuff up even in below zero weather.
Another good trick is to use the knit gloves over the nitrile gloves when cutting meat. I end up cutting a lot of meat that has been frozen and is just barely thawed. Keeps your hands warm, protects from cuts, and the white knit gloves are easily washed for the next use.

Jay

Big_wals

WKR
Starline brass, 24g varget, cci450, 2.26".
Do you have an eldm/vld seating stem? I cant fit that much varget in a case at mag length like that without making a pretty substantial dent in the bullet. I loaded a few with 24 grains, they shot fine still but look terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 91

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
On a chargemaster, your a patient man!

Gotta have an excuse to hide in the basement for so long.

Do you have an eldm/vld seating stem? I cant fit that much varget in a case at mag length like that without making a pretty substantial dent in the bullet. I loaded a few with 24 grains, they shot fine still but look terrible.

I have the ELDM one and tried to form it to a TMK with some lapping compound and a drill. Still leaves a little ring but nothing significant. Like you say, still shoot good.