.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

The Guide

WKR
I almost bought from Gman over the weekend but having never heard of them decided to do a little research. Saw where people stated they were charged anywhere from 60$ to 130$ for shipping of ammo orders. Couldn’t close that page out fast enough.
Look at Target Sports USA if you want a reliable and reputable company. Free shipping on cases. Makes the prices the other guys are offering look poor when you add in shipping.

Jay

Look at Target Sports USA if you want a reliable and reputable company. Free shipping on cases. Makes the prices the other guys are offering look poor when you add in shipping.

Jay

I buy a lot from those guys. Split the cost of a membership with a buddy this this year. Thats paid for itself and then some

eoperator

WKR
Yup their website says 1-8" which is why I ordered 500. But the box says 1-7" which is why I confirmed it on the barrel twist calculator. I shot a sub half inch with them today during load work up and took them out to 800 yards. I'm at 2230 feet elevation but others at sea level might have issues.
The guy I spoke with this morning at hornady said all of the test data that was available to him was with 8 twist barrels and all showed good consistent bc. So he expected in all but extreme situations they would be good to go in 1/8 barrels.

xsn10s

WKR
The guy I spoke with this morning at hornady said all of the test data that was available to him was with 8 twist barrels and all showed good consistent bc. So he expected in all but extreme situations they would be good to go in 1/8 barrels.
Good to know, thanks for the update. They shoot well from my 8 twist. I can't wait to try them on some yotes or badgers.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Does that include the 88s?

Guys that are running cci 450s….

Traditionally the 223 hasn’t needed a mag primer so I’m curious as to the justification there or if it’s just because I want to? Or is it because you hunt in freezing temps?

Just curious.

Kimmo H

FNG

Traditionally the 223 hasn’t needed a mag primer so I’m curious as to the justification there or if it’s just because I want to? Or is it because you hunt in freezing temps?

Just curious.
I use 450 on hot loads to avoid pierced primers. My go to load with the 75gr Hornady HPBT works great with the 450s, but standard primers can't handle the pressure and most are really on the edge of puncturing especially from a hot barrel.

Federal AR gold medal primers seem pretty pressure tolerant aswell.

SouthPaw

WKR
What COAL?
2.42ish. I use the Waters mags for extending COAL.

Just curious.
Like said above they handle pressure better, and I use 450s for all my Creedmoor size guns too. Thus 95% of my shooting can be the same primer and it happens to be available more often than others.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider

Just curious.
Same here, I use 450s because of the thicker cup, they are also more available here locally.

I use 450 on hot loads to avoid pierced primers. My go to load with the 75gr Hornady HPBT works great with the 450s, but standard primers can't handle the pressure and most are really on the edge of puncturing especially from a hot barrel.

Federal AR gold medal primers seem pretty pressure tolerant aswell.

2.42ish. I use the Waters mags for extending COAL.

Like said above they handle pressure better, and I use 450s for all my Creedmoor size guns too. Thus 95% of my shooting can be the same primer and it happens to be available more often than others.

Same here, I use 450s because of the thicker cup, they are also more available here locally.

Makes sense all. I’m not seeing any pressure with my initial loads so guess I’ll keep an eye on them. Sure wish I could load them longer than a factory mag but don’t want to jump on the Water bandwagon just yet.

2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.
Might be a dumb question, but what do you mean by TC when referring to the 73 ELDM?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Might be a dumb question, but what do you mean by TC when referring to the 73 ELDM?

Temporary stretch cavity. The tissue that is forever gradually outward by the passage of the bullet, but then generally returns back into place. I.E., “temporary”. With fragmenting bullets and bullets with sufficient impact velocity, part of the TC is permanently damaged and becomes apart of the permanent wound cavity.