.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

fwafwow

WKR
Did you get xbr when it was around.

The 73 with xbr or Benchmark, will be stupid easy to load a heck of a lot cheaper than you can buy factory ammo.
I don't reload. Whether I should is a different story, but I just don't see it happening for me.

xsn10s

WKR
Run it on Hornady too, they do some different stuff with determining the gyro of their tipped bullets.

I’m pushing it on 75eldm at my home range when it gets cold (~1.3 gyro) and havnt had issues. Not sure I’d push it anymore though.
Got a link to their barrel twist calculator? I did a search and couldn't find it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Learn something new. Hornady's app says 1.23 gyro. That's even worse than Berger's twist calculator.
Yea that’s pushing it. When I asked the Hornady guy on the hide he said he will use stuff in the 1.2-1.3 range occasionally.

I’m in the same boat with the 75 eldm. Back home, when it’s cold, it’s pushing it. But once I break 4000 feet it’s fine in all weather.

The obvious solution is to buy a 7 twist barrel! Wish mine was, but when I bought the blank I didn’t know.

The Guide

WKR
Not crimped? Everything Hornady 223 I have ever shot has had a crimp.
So I'm not super familiar with crimping. My Black Hills is fairly obviously crimped.
1000003354.jpg

The AAC does not look crimped to me.
1000003353.jpg

I'm not sure about the Hornady as it looks normal so if they crimp the primers it is done very concentric and close to the primer.

1000003352.jpg1000003351.jpg

If it is crimped, I'll quit saving it. I'm not really interested in messing with crimped brass.

Jay

Lawnboi

WKR
So I'm not super familiar with crimping. My Black Hills is fairly obviously crimped.
View attachment 758773

The AAC does not look crimped to me.
View attachment 758774

I'm not sure about the Hornady as it looks normal so if they crimp the primers it is done very concentric and close to the primer.

View attachment 758775View attachment 758776

If it is crimped, I'll quit saving it. I'm not really interested in messing with crimped brass.

Jay
Hornady does a crimp that is continuous. Not staked like the black hills, Pop a primer out and it will be obvious.

I wouldn’t waste my time (and I have) with mixed lot crimped Hornady brass again. Especially when Starline and adi can be had so cheap. Atleast not on stuff I’m shooting out of a bolt gun.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Learn something new. Hornady's app says 1.23 gyro. That's even worse than Berger's twist calculator.
The hornady is actually based on the bullets point Mass and is way more accurate. Google "4dof SG gyro" there's a document on all the 4dof terms. But in summary everything with a gyro over 1 is stable. I just make sure the bullets stable at the worst case situation I might hunt in ie sea level and cold.

xsn10s

WKR
The hornady is actually based on the bullets point Mass and is way more accurate. Google "4dof SG gyro" there's a document on all the 4dof terms. But in summary everything with a gyro over 1 is stable. I just make sure the bullets stable at the worst case situation I might hunt in ie sea level and cold.
I was trying to find if that term meant something else but couldn't find their glossary. Thanks for clearing that up.

It’s in the 4dof app. Create a chart for your load and it will have a column labeled gyro
View attachment 758697

Thanks for the tip, didn’t even know 4DOD had gyro. Looks like Hornady suggests gyro of 1.4 +.

At 223 speeds from a 22” barrel, even the 88 eldm shows a stabling of 1.3-1.4 with a tikka 1:8 (longer mag is needed to load them). Hornady recommends 1:7 and have read about others being unable to penalize the 88 in 1:8 223 so I could be ready or using gyro wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've enjoyed getting back into shooting .223s thanks to this thread. I am curious though, what kind of accuracy do you see out of the RSS shooting 77 TMKs?

I can't decide if I'm asking way too much out of my rifles or if maybe I need to take everything apart and put them back together again.

For the rifles that shoot them well, my Gen 2 Ruger American Ranch will occasionally print a 5-shot group at 100 yards under 1", but never better than 3/4".

That will kill well enough, but where I hunt, Virginia, the smallest we can go is .243...

Am I expecting too much or should I take everything apart and start over?

I was disappointed in the accuracy of my RSS. It's routinely 1.5 moa 10 shot groups, don't think I have ever seen it drop below 1.25 with TMK's. It was pretty ugly with cheap frontier ammo. Played with some different powders, but it seems that's all it would do.

I was going to rebarrel it as I was expecting better accuracy, I kept shooting it. Accuracy didn't improve, however I did realize that it didn't effect it's lethality. With a scope that dials reliably, I'm killing groundhogs out to 400 yards without issue. It just works, in my mind I'm thinking I'm only in a 6inch circle at that range, but it just keeps working. It's the spend more time shooting less time worrying with things that don't matter. For a 400 yard gun, 1.5 moa is just fine.

Prices are coming down a lil.

I have noticed that a few sites will bump up the cost per round if you order the larger lots. Cheaper to order 10 20 round boxes than it is to order 200..

Look at fastammo's listing..

View attachment 758647

Fast Ammo and Gman's schtick is to have the lowest price on ammoseek and then eff you on shipping. There are usually options with a little higher per rd cost but much better shipping that ends up being a better buy.

@TimberHunter @Lawnboi - my hornady factory 73 ammo does not have crimped primers.

Fast Ammo and Gman's schtick is to have the lowest price on ammoseek and then eff you on shipping. There are usually options with a little higher per rd cost but much better shipping that ends up being a better buy.

I agree, Theres a pile of websites that do that. Just hadnt noticed them bumping up the price per round with the quantity before.

Last 73gr stuff I bought in april was $22/box shipped.

I almost bought from Gman over the weekend but having never heard of them decided to do a little research. Saw where people stated they were charged anywhere from 60$ to 130$ for shipping of ammo orders. Couldn’t close that page out fast enough.