.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't looked it up, but think this will be ok: 77 or 88's out of a 22 creed for cow elk in Wyoming? We can usually get to within 150-200 yards.

Recently moved to WY. I built a 6.5-Creed for elk hunting due to this. That said, I think the best answer if you want lightweight and low recoiling but still legal for Elk in WY is a 6ARC or a 6-Creed. The fast twist 243 also is a great option if you reload.

waspocrew

WKR
It's a bummer on the 22 Creed for elk in Wyoming. Our ranch has plenty of elk running around and I'd have no problem taking them out with the 22 Creed. I have 4 whitetail doe tags, 1 doe antelope, and 1 buck antelope tag... the 22 Creed will be used on at least a few of these.

atmat

WKR
It's a bummer on the 22 Creed for elk in Wyoming. Our ranch has plenty of elk running around and I'd have no problem taking them out with the 22 Creed. I have 4 whitetail doe tags, 1 doe antelope, and 1 buck antelope tag... the 22 Creed will be used on at least a few of these.
Huge bummer.

If you need me to bring the 6creed up to help with the elk, gimme a holler.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
How often has anyone had their rifle checked for caliber by LE?

When I was a kid in Wisconsin we couldn't use anything other shotguns with slugs below Hiway 29. I remember seeing several guys hunting with rifles.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
75 eldm 2650ish impact velocity. Hit a rib going in. Massive entrance wound. Cow didn’t go more than about 5 yards.
First Rockslide elk kill of 2024 with the Rockslide Special?
Ought to be some special prize for that like an autographed
picture or T-shirt from Ryan
:)

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Need to get to work on the reloading bench, but in the mean time I'm just shooting 62gr since that's what the gold dots I shot last year were. Got together with some friends over the weekend and they had steel set up from 80 to 200, I ran the table no problem with my Ruger American Predator and SWFA 1-4. Only other thing I want to do is put a can on it and it'll be pretty much perfect for deer hunting around here.

How often has anyone had their rifle checked for caliber by LE?

When I was a kid in Wisconsin we couldn't use anything other shotguns with slugs below Hiway 29. I remember seeing several guys hunting with rifles.
That's what I was wondering. We have a 6mm min in WA and I'm not going to break it, but in two checks with LE the last few years they've never asked or even looked at my rifle.

Levi300wm

FNG
Pressure signs on an AR will manifest very much like overgassing, i.e. brass ejecting at 12-3 o'clock, the bolt cycling "too fast" and not picking up a round or locking back on the last round.
As for crimping, I don't crimp any of my AR loads. If you plan on mag feeding and not shooting a bunch of times, maybe put a light crimp on it, but if you are shooting, a crimp isn't necessary, IMO.
Final thing about running heavies in ARs. Look at windowing a couple of your magazines. It will allow you to load longer and get the most performance out of those heavy bullets and your AR.
can you explain what you mean by "mag feeding" and "if im shooting no crimp necessary"? these will be shot only for hunting and anything else will be just "plinking ammo" so i have no issues modifying my hunting magazine

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with 88s at 16" 223 type velocities, whatever those might be?

I've only tried a couple of loads with 2000MR and velocity was only 2,450ish. I would think it could do somewhat better than that, but maybe not much at 2.318", which is long as I can go without windowing my AR mags.
Thats moving for an 88 in a 223 with that short of a barrel. They would work just fine so long as your barrel is fast enough to stabilize them at that speed and you kept the impact inside its velocity window.

can you explain what you mean by "mag feeding" and "if im shooting no crimp necessary"? these will be shot only for hunting and anything else will be just "plinking ammo" so i have no issues modifying my hunting magazine

What I meant by that is chambering a round from the magazine, but not actually shooting it. Such as is done with a lot of hunting ARs. Load the first round from the mag into the chamber, don't see anything, so you don't shoot it. At the end of the day you remove the round from the chamber, load it back into the top of the magazine and then repeat the next day.
Cycling ammo that way may cause the bullet to get pushed deeper into the case, or have it slide out into the lands, either of which may cause pressure issues. Crimping can prevent that. Since I don't crimp, the way that I avoid this when hunting with my ARs is to not put that round back into the mag if it was chambered.
If you are loading ammo that will get loaded into a magazine and then shot right away, no need to crimp.

Thegman

WKR
What I meant by that is chambering a round from the magazine, but not actually shooting it. Such as is done with a lot of hunting ARs. Load the first round from the mag into the chamber, don't see anything, so you don't shoot it. At the end of the day you remove the round from the chamber, load it back into the top of the magazine and then repeat the next day.
Cycling ammo that way may cause the bullet to get pushed deeper into the case, or have it slide out into the lands, either of which may cause pressure issues. Crimping can prevent that. Since I don't crimp, the way that I avoid this when hunting with my ARs is to not put that round back into the mag if it was chambered.
If you are loading ammo that will get loaded into a magazine and then shot right away, no need to crimp.
When hunting with a gasser, I chamber the top round by hand for the same reason. They can get pretty beat up cycling them multiple times from the magazine without being fired.

The Guide

WKR
Has anyone used 77gr TMK's in the 22 creed?
That question might be better asked in this thread.

Jay