.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
This is Horandy’s listing for the 22 ARC in a bolt gun. Pretty awesome with the 88’s. I recently grabbed a 22ARC in the new Ruger Gen 2. Once I have it put together I’ll update what I get with the 88’s. I’m excited to give it a go. It is definitely set up to shoot the longer bullets. I debated on doing the 223ai it looks sweet as well.
View attachment 750440

Is this chart for a 24” barrel?

Assuming 2800 FPS for a 20” barrel, that 88 ELDM would hold 1800 FPS to 750 yards at a DA 5000 feet. It’s also a 6 MPH gun for wind at that speed which is not bad at all.

Even at 2700 FPS assuming a slow 18” barrel or a fast 16” barrel you’d still be good to 675 yards. That’s hard to argue with for a compact setup with factory ammo.

00SCSS

FNG
I’ll check those out.

I did a bit of research and found a couple folks saying they were unable to get the 73gr ELD-Ms to shoot well in their White Oak Armory barrels. That’s what I happen to have so I changed my order over to 69gr Sierra TMKs.
They shot great in my white oak barrel.

Assuming 2800 FPS for a 20” barrel, that 88 ELDM would hold 1800 FPS to 750 yards at a DA 5000 feet. It’s also a 6 MPH gun for wind at that speed which is not bad at all.

Even at 2700 FPS assuming a slow 18” barrel or a fast 16” barrel you’d still be good to 675 yards. That’s hard to argue with for a compact setup with factory ammo.
Yes, it's for a 24" barrel.

WIDrake

FNG
Man the new episode of the hornady podcast is trash. They have some good info in there such as how their bullets work - VELOCITY and they give numbers for eldx, cx, and one other one - and not energy. Way too much fudd lore with magnum or bust. If it kills a deer it'll kill and elk. There is no such thing as an elk bullet vs a deer bullet.

Bugger

FNG
Man the new episode of the hornady podcast is trash. They have some good info in there such as how their bullets work - VELOCITY and they give numbers for eldx, cx, and one other one - and not energy. Way too much fudd lore with magnum or bust. If it kills a deer it'll kill and elk. There is no such thing as an elk bullet vs a deer bullet.
It’s not good for business to crash their own market by saying half of what they sell is unnecessary. Gotta sell them big PRC’s too!

You mind sharing how much lever?
I want to say 23.5? I honestly cannot remember where I have that written down. It’s a grain or two below book max. I throw charges with a Harrels and don’t weigh them…have the “clicks” written down but can’t remember where I recorded actual weight. For this load, I actually just picked that charge weight, seated to mag length, shot 20 of them, and called it good.

I want to say 23.5? I honestly cannot remember where I have that written down. It’s a grain or two below book max. I throw charges with a Harrels and don’t weigh them…have the “clicks” written down but can’t remember where I recorded actual weight. For this load, I actually just picked that charge weight, seated to mag length, shot 20 of them, and called it good.
I didn’t realize there was load data for lever in 223

jonandy

FNG

Yes, at the top of the page it shows hornady is using a 24” barrel. I agree pretty sweet for such a small cartridge.

You might be right, could have sworn I found it somewhere at some point in time..in any case I am shooting some amount of lever that is working great and I do not remember the charge data 😂
I'm seeing some people report up to 26grs with 77s. I was just curious because it's usually available and cheaper

Thegman

WKR
Finally got my tikka .223 mounted in a rokstock.

This is my el cheapo load..ABC 75gr BTHP, starline brass, lever. 22” barrel at 2820 fps didn’t try for any more speed

Zero adjusted after this group

View attachment 750810
Do the numbered shots in this show the actual shot sequence? I ask because this is actually a really unusual group if that's the case. Very little variation shot-to-shot. The group just walks along shot to shot in a circle. Three more shots you'd have been back to where you started. 😅